VEGA IS FINALLY HERE, ITS IN STOCK ALONG WITH SOME EPIC BUNDLES & FREESYNC DEALS!!

Soldato
Unknown, might see pre-orders mid/end September, but right now the clear objective is getting stock of MBA cards.

Also I quite like the plain and clean design on reference cards, both AMD and NVIDIA, plus the heat out the case is always good anyway, only ever an issue if the things sound like a Dyson at full tilt, though these latest cards from NV/AMD with blowers are tolerable, especially if you setup custom fan curves.

I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that I've had AMD blowers, and never again. AIB cards just have better, quieter cooling, and as long as you've got decent cooling in your case, it's far better than a little slot in the back of the case to expel heat.

Most people are going to want a single card, so without multiple cards (not that AMD seem to be supporting Crossfire anymore), there's just no upside to the blower design.

Associate
Most people are going to want a single card, so without multiple cards (not that AMD seem to be supporting Crossfire anymore), there's just no upside to the blower design.

Except for genuinely tiny miniITX cases, or budget watercooling compatibility, both potential reasons I'm likely getting one. Also, because I'm going to jump on the launch price on here if at all possible, and if I decide to sell for a AIB card a month or two later (if my next build's case concept changes) then I'll probably do okay in resale.

Soldato
Except for genuinely tiny miniITX cases, or budget watercooling compatibility, both potential reasons I'm likely getting one. Also, because I'm going to jump on the launch price on here if at all possible, and if I decide to sell for a AIB card a month or two later (if my next build's case concept changes) then I'll probably do okay in resale.

In which case you're probably better off waiting for Nano Vega.

Associate
Mhmm I am kicking myself for not pulling the trigger on £450 Vega 64...I am trying to justify this by thinking perf per £ is not that good and power consumption is way to high, in which case vega 56 seems to remedy both these shortcomings.

Power usage not something I'm too worried about. Had Hawaii and currently on Fiji. Like yourself I believe the VEGA 56 is better on perf/£ basis. If I snag the launch price then the saving will be used to buy a WC block.

Hawaii even with the AIB coolers wasn't as quiet as Fury X with stock AIO. I owned Hawaii in Tri-X, DCUII and Vapor-X editions at one point. Fiji I had a chance to try Fury Tri-X, which I deemed to be quieter than 290X Tri-X, but still Fury X was quieter than Fury Tri-X.

Did once think of WC'ing Fury X, but after evaluating cost of WC I decided not to. Now I am WC'ing Ryzen rig, I think the MBA VEGA 56 will be sweet to WC. I noted last time around that WC blocks only seem to get cheaper once GPU go EOL, so best off going for WC if you want it at the get go.

I also have FreeSync monitor, sorta of in two minds if even the jump to VEGA 56 is valid. Looking at some reviews its not a huge gain and I believe with FS if you're gaming experience is 'smooth' how valid is a jump in frame rate?

The flipside is if I sell Fury X at right time I may lose less £. I was real lucky that the Hawaii cards I got on promo, sold at pretty much no loss. Snagged a Fury X by adding to pot less than what a WC block would have cost for Hawaii. How I saw it was the spend got me a quieter/faster card in a neat 'package'. Sorta aiming to do the same again. Hopefully if VEGA 56 is £449 after launch price that will keep Fury X at a better 2nd hand price (IMO).

Not fussed didn't jump on VEGA 64 and TBH glad to wait for VEGA 56 as have time to consider things more ;) .

Caporegime
£550!? Assume this is partly due to the expensive HBM2?

Yet you can get a reference 1080 for £100 cheaper and assume once you overclock, it will come on top? Plus decent AIBs can be had for under £550 which will easily beat the 64. Baffling.

Can AMD admit, HBM hasn't exactly worked out.

Soldato
£550!? Assume this is partly due to the expensive HBM2?

Yet you can get a reference 1080 for £100 cheaper and assume once you overclock, it will come on top? Plus decent AIBs can be had for under £550 which will easily beat the 64. Baffling.

Can AMD admit, HBM hasn't exactly worked out.

You can get decent 1080's for under £450, it's strange how the 1070 and 1080 pricing is atm due to the mining craze.

Permabanned
Like me. My previous build from 2010 was a Phenom II with a HD 5770. After Bulldozer flopped, I waited for Zen, which got delayed a few times. Pre-ordered, but I kept my old GPU while I waited for Vega. Vega 56 has nice performance, but I'm not buying a reference blower, so I'll wait for AIB 56's.

But still, why Radeon? I brought a 1080p FreeSync monitor during Christmas sales for £90. Also, the Samsung Quantum Dot FreeSync 2 monitors look very nice, although I'd like it in 4k and larger than 32 inches. I realise I won't be able to play every game in 4K with 56, but I don't mind. It seems Samsung may release a small selection of GSync Quantum Dot monitors soon, but not as wide a range as FreeSync, so FreeSync wins again.

Interesting. Its always been Freesync with the poor ranges before?

Associate
I meant wider range of monitors. There are already quite a few FreeSync 1.0 Quantum Dot, and recently 3 new Quantum Dot FreeSync 2.0 ones (1440 and 1080 ultrawide - all curved). It looks like more FreeSync ones are coming this year (4K). There aren't any GSync ones yet, but it seems like GSync buyers will have fewer choices when they are released.

Associate
Some do have narrow refresh ranges, but I think because it costs manufacturers nothing to add FreeSync, many add them to any old monitor, thus the poor range (in Hz). if you look though, there are many out there with wide ranges, like these new Samsung ones (up to 144, but no idea where it starts).

Associate
Almost went for the £450 64 but didn't want to go for a blower card. Although, to be honest I'd probably grab the £350 56 assuming there's no news of AIB cards then and the 64 owners aren't complaining about noise.

Soldato
They have a bookmark for a search of gibbos recent posts that they check on each day.

Gibbo pushing for 10k cards from amd :eek:

I dunno, world sell out makes that a tough ask imo.

Back
Top Bottom