• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

VEGA IS FINALLY HERE, ITS IN STOCK ALONG WITH SOME EPIC BUNDLES & FREESYNC DEALS!!

Soldato
I think the point was HBM is not affected in exact proportion and AMD prices already went up, we did that and regardless they need to stay at £450 for 64 imo. Or possibly the path I would prefer is amazing advances in v64 performance via driver, etc development, then sure put the price up but 'tis but a dream :p

Caporegime
I paid £450 for mine, cant see it anywhere for that price.

£450 is probably the limit for me for a 64, I'd rather go for a 56 else. I can't see the AiB cards being able to command more than £470/480 either, which is probably why the like of Sapphire etc haven't bothered pushing their own design cards yet (which is bloody strange, as usually they're at least up for pre-order by now!!)

Associate
For me £350 was utter limit on VEGA 56, when it launched at £380 and now £390 it pushed me to a GTX 1080.

Didn't wanna be on ref air blower, VEGA 64 AIO is far to over priced IMO. Got a MSI GTX 1080 EK X for £500, in my eyes works out ~£400, as included WB is worth ~£100.

Will miss FreeSync. Won't miss the launch shenanigans of poor VEGA driver. Dunno why all features of VEGA are not enabled in launch driver. Perhaps if even a game showed benefits from 'intrinsic shaders' and or 'tile based rendering', I'd have been swung towards VEGA.

Seems like VEGA is still a waiting game.

Soldato
You can wait if you want, but I really wouldn't expect Vega 64/56 AIB models to be cheaper than reference. Just can't see it.

The ref versions are already solid, the only thing 3rd parties can do is glue on an open fan cooler and fiddle the circuits for no good reason.

Nothing good comes from pumping more power into vega besides using more power.

The strong suspicion being that Vega is a workstation card in the first place that happens to be doubling up as AMD's high end gaming card so it was built well from the start.

Caporegime
The ref versions are already solid, the only thing 3rd parties can do is glue on an open fan cooler and fiddle the circuits for no good reason.

Nothing good comes from pumping more power into vega besides using more power.

The strong suspicion being that Vega is a workstation card in the first place that happens to be doubling up as AMD's high end gaming card so it was built well from the start.
Most people who are waiting will be waiting due to not wanting a blower-style card.

I'm just talking about price. The AIB's aren't going to sell their cards cheaper than AMD sells its reference models. For one it would hurt their profit margins, secondly it would damage their branding.

People waiting for AIB Vega should expect them to be more expensive (than AMD's RRP), that's all.

Associate
You can wait if you want, but I really wouldn't expect Vega 64/56 AIB models to be cheaper than reference. Just can't see it.

I agree AIB VEGA gonna be steeper than ref VEGA, can't see it as being cheaper.

For me I'd just wanna be able to snag a ref VEGA 64 at more of a decent price than current promos, so once I buy a WB it's not overpriced vs the GTX 1080 I snagged.

IIRC, with Polaris as soon as AIB cards had flooded market the ref PCB was phased out. So perhaps a better deal on ref PCB may occur then.

AFAIK EK only did WB for ref PCB on Polaris, same as Fiji, even Grenada lacked AIB FC WB blocks in as many iterations as PCB on market, only Hawaii AIB card had good support. So for me ref PCB is it on VEGA. I see no bad point on ref PCB TBH.

Vega' features are enabled, its up to the devs to use them unfortunately.

OMG :( .

I thought TBR is not enabled currently? and AMD would be doing drivers with 'intrinsic shaders', as then support is not down to devs implementing or not?

Soldato
Most people who are waiting will be waiting due to not wanting a blower-style card.

I'm just talking about price. The AIB's aren't going to sell their cards cheaper than AMD sells its reference models. For one it would hurt their profit margins, secondly it would damage their branding.

People waiting for AIB Vega should expect them to be more expensive (than AMD's RRP), that's all.
My take was the price might improve but probably be lucky to see this before xmas. So lets say £450 for reference with the free games as an ideal. Or maybe a nicer cooler for £450
I think thats possible but I guess not in the autumn. This is too bad for AMD because besides the obligitary Freesync related sales of Vega they arent going to get a ton of volume till they either improve performance or it gets below 450. I say ideal but 450 is the top price for proper volume of sales.

Apparently AMD loses 100 for every card sold that cheap but wouldnt this always be true of start up costs to any new production. They want to sell a lot of cards, it then evens out for them and if the actual production is costing them that much then yea thats not good

For me £350 was utter limit on VEGA 56, when it launched at £380 and now £390 it pushed me to a GTX 1080.

Didn't wanna be on ref air blower, VEGA 64 AIO is far to over priced IMO. Got a MSI GTX 1080 EK X for £500, in my eyes works out ~£400, as included WB is worth ~£100.

Will miss FreeSync. Won't miss the launch shenanigans of poor VEGA driver. Dunno why all features of VEGA are not enabled in launch driver. Perhaps if even a game showed benefits from 'intrinsic shaders' and or 'tile based rendering', I'd have been swung towards VEGA.

Seems like VEGA is still a waiting game.

Yea same, I wasnt going to bother. I was going to wait for Volta or AIB but who wants to wait even longer. The other alternative was that nice MSI 1080 waterblock card but I dont have a water cooling setup already and decided not to do that, maybe that'd been more interesting and the smart choice I guess we'll know by year end.

I've always thought you are in the wrong game trying to be clever on a product launch, they arent often super value afaik. Best you can hope for is the 8800GTX type result where it dominates forever.
The sweet spot in price to performance is the kind of mid range or at least 10 months or so post a paper release. So for Vega that'd be 10 months after Frontier I guess or May '18 which means Volta.

Reasons to buy AMD ref now not nvidia:
  • Open source
  • 12 phase power reference design is highest quality
  • idle vega uses 20w of power - sounds so low to me
  • The fan isnt noisy until the top end. I got the noise of rifles and explosions in my ear at this point usually
  • Dual bios ?
  • Features may or may not be interesting developments going forward

50% of the reason why miners like AMD is the open source thing. You wont hear a lot of this, they dont want to speak about it too much as its literally their business but they'll want to mod Vega or any AMD card as much as possible and open source helps.
So now you really hate open source maybe but its possible it leads to some really exciting possibilities. Mining they have their incentives to work in that direction and I'd hope some gaming elements want to take forward the various Vega advantages. I just thought Vega is more interesting more forward looking tbh, I should've bought 1070 AIB but I dont see Vega as a bad choice so far.
Its slightly sad that only Freesync is mainstream reason to buy and maybe true till year end

Back
Top Bottom