Vet bill is climbing

Cat got on ok over night, bit up and down to the litter tray but he's passing urine which is a promising sign. Not loads but definitely some and doesn't seem distressed at all.

No poo's yet but that wasn't an issue :D let's hope that happens soon.

One of the meds they gave him is supposed to calm him and it does almost too much. They said 2 per day but go down to 1 if he's too drowsy so may do that.

Drinking a fair bit and enjoying the Purina food which is promising for the future.

They want to see him again this week to see how he's getting on. Just hope he's fine. If they then say he's still blocked, I'm not really sure how much further we could go.

Any way positive for now, flogging some stuff that we planned to get rid of anyway, refunding foo fighters tickets (bought kind of on a whim last year, Tuesday night show isn't very practical anyway for us) so hopefully won't be too bad/long to get it cleared off.

I know this thread is about a cat, but I'm pretty sure that this situation was triggered by the ownership of lockdown puppies 4 years ago. We all got grounded by Boris and everyone and their dog wanted a lockdown puppy. 4 years on, and these puppies are now dogs and now you see dogs everywhere. Cafes and shops that previously weren't dog-friendly are now dog-friendly and I even heard that some offices allow dogs too. Vets have capitalised on this so to affect cat owners as well as dog owners.

I do love nearly every pub allows dogs.
Because I'm always with my dog when going to pub.

I mean I think that's disgraceful.

But each to their own.

Its personal choice.

I have no issue with people putting their pets down if they can't afford it or don't want to pay it

2k (for example) is a lot of money.

I'd pay 2k for my dog. For sure. He's one of the family. He was there for me when I was ill. And we go on many adventures together.

I absolutely would not give 2k to save a random person or child's life. (same as most people).

But, we slaughter millions of animals so same as I don't care for a random child I also don't care about a random animal. As long as it's not dumped an put to sleep humanly I have no issue with that. Farm animals recieve a much worse life and fate.

I do love nearly every pub allows dogs.
Because I'm always with my dog when going to pub.
We often drive down to Chamonix in the summer and take the dog with us. Most places over there are really dog friendly and it seems the norm is to allow dogs. I've noticed the UK has definitely shifted more in that direction over the last few years which is great!

We often drive down to Chamonix in the summer and take the dog with us. Most places over there are really dog friendly and it seems the norm is to allow dogs. I've noticed the UK has definitely shifted more in that direction over the last few years which is great!

Every time I go for a walk with the walking group so far the post walk pub stop has been OK with dogs.
Wasn't like that even a few years ago.

Sometimes you have to sit in a stupid special room but mostly it's fine.

I know somebody with a cat who had urinary problems, possibly caused by anxiety, and was recommended to use that food. The cat's been on the food for a couple of years now and it seems to have sorted the problem out.

I recommend getting a small bag at first to see if your cat likes it, before committing to the larger sizes which are quite pricey. :eek:

It should be law to have a minimum level cover of insurance for those who wish to keep pets. I wonder how many times pets don't get the proper care because an owner wanted to save a few quid per month.

100% this and the reason I'll never have a pet, yes I'm tight.

One mate spent £10,500 on his uninsured dog and it still died.
Another mate had £5000 cover but the final bill was over £12,000 and that dog died.
I know a bloke with a Shiba Inu and they suffer with their back legs.
He had one done on insurance many years ago but the dog has suffered for years because they can't afford the other one and the dog is a proper fatty.

When we watch Noel Fitzpatrick's operations my Mrs has her phone on adding up the cost.
It was something like £1600 for a CT and this particular dog had 4 of them besides the complicated surgery.

Last edited:
Ah that's ok if you've always been a dog owner. My post was aimed at the bandwagon effect of everyone (including non-dog owners) wanting a puppy during lockdown.

We got a dogling during lockdown. But it wasn't due to lockdown it was because didn't want one until got a house. And didn't get one until 2020.

When we watch Noel Fitzpatrick's operations my Mrs has her phone on adding up the cost.
It was something like £1600 for a CT and this particular dog had 4 of them besides the complicated surgery.
"Apparently" he's not that well respected in the industry. Great for TV ratings and owners... But opinions on whether he should be prolonging life vary

Hopefully your cat makes a good recovery, with no more bladder issues.

An article from February 2023 regarding vet fees. Husky almost dies in savage 'dog attack' (apparently 2 XL Bullys) as devastated owner faces £23,000 vet bill. Marie rushed Naevia to the vets - only to find the £50 a month insurance wouldn't cover the eye-watering bill. The costs of Naevia's treatment had been billed at £14,000 but Marie had been told to expect this to rise to £23,000 after the pooch experienced complications with her recovery. Naevia had already undergone multiple surgeries and a blood transfusion at an emergency animal hospital after losing 83% of her blood in the attack plus more during surgery. Gofundme ended up raising over 42k - link. The owner used the excess donations to help save the lives of 9 other dogs.
Source: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/husky-almost-dies-savage-dog-29228325

Wish I became a vet in my younger days. Like a license to print money.
I dunno, I wouldn't fancy sticking a thermometer up an XL Bullys ass let alone any other big dog, them vets must have balls of steel.

Last edited:
Hopefully your cat makes a good recovery, with no more bladder issues.

An article from February 2023 regarding vet fees. Husky almost dies in savage 'dog attack' (apparently 2 XL Bullys) as devastated owner faces £23,000 vet bill. Marie rushed Naevia to the vets - only to find the £50 a month insurance wouldn't cover the eye-watering bill. The costs of Naevia's treatment had been billed at £14,000 but Marie had been told to expect this to rise to £23,000 after the pooch experienced complications with her recovery. Naevia had already undergone multiple surgeries and a blood transfusion at an emergency animal hospital after losing 83% of her blood in the attack plus more during surgery. Gofundme ended up raising over 42k - link. The owner used the excess donations to help save the lives of 9 other dogs.
Source: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/husky-almost-dies-savage-dog-29228325

I dunno, I wouldn't fancy sticking a thermometer up an XL Bullys ass let alone any other big dog, them vets must have balls of steel.
Wow that owner is a champ, further helping other dogs.

So sad that this was necessary:(

I have two dogs. 11 year old black lab and a 6 year old husky. They are both part of the family but you also need to be realistic with costs. Would I pay 2k-4k to save them as a one off cost yes. But if something kept happening then its either putting them down or giving them away if anyone would take them. In the end of the day they are animals and I have to make sure I have enough money for the Human family :)

I love animals (I mean we have nearly 40 of them here) but I do find people who value animal lives over people to be strange. Animals trigger an emotional response in people and does lead to them saying irrational, ill thought out things.
lol yeah for sure man. There is a food bank donation box at my local COOP and the pet food basket is constantly overflowing.

Back
Top Bottom