Vidahost Issue

Soldato
I find that page speed sites always complain about the server response time. My sites on vidahost seem to have a response time of around 0.67 seconds which seems slow. I don't have anything hosted elsewhere to compare though.

Soldato
Vidahost downtime on Jamaica server twice this week. So annoying. They decide to move hard disks at 8am in the morning, smart move Vidahost.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yup just get them on the phone or skype them. That's what I do if anything ever goes to ****.

What are their Skype details? They've been having a fair few problems with MySQL and mail servers recently on the reseller platform, would be useful to have them on Skype.

Soldato
The last email I received was at half 6 this morning, website down also. They decide to move disks to a new raid controller in the morning, why not do this at 2am?

Proper Mickey Mouse, no warnings or anything.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Don't forget that a host like that will be serving international customers - it might be the quietest point over their entire customer base. The lack of warning short of being an absolute emergency is kind of bad though.

Soldato
Don't forget that a host like that will be serving international customers - it might be the quietest point over their entire customer base. The lack of warning short of being an absolute emergency is kind of bad though.

True, pity they didn't warn people in advance. It appears they were taken over at some point.

Man of Honour
Vidahost downtime on Jamaica server twice this week. So annoying. They decide to move hard disks at 8am in the morning, smart move Vidahost.
I don't know the details of the problem but looking at the status page it appears to be a RAID controller issue. That's always a pain unfortunately. Most of the time RAID controllers behave and handle disk failures, etc as part of everyday operation.

But I once saw a RAID controller randomly write bad data which corrupted the array for no apparent reason!

I doubt anyone chose the time for it to play up, nor would it be connected to who the parent company might be, but either way it's still a frustrating thing to happen and I hope they've sorted it out now.

Soldato
I don't know the details of the problem but looking at the status page it appears to be a RAID controller issue. That's always a pain unfortunately. Most of the time RAID controllers behave and handle disk failures, etc as part of everyday operation.

But I once saw a RAID controller randomly write bad data which corrupted the array for no apparent reason!

I doubt anyone chose the time for it to play up, nor would it be connected to who the parent company might be, but either way it's still a frustrating thing to happen and I hope they've sorted it out now.

It's sorted, 6 hours downtime. The same server was down last week, today was planned maintenance but there was no warning. I have started to migrate to another host, will take hours but it's worth it.

In December I had email problems, I got an email from a bemused client asking who Paragon was, Vidahost took it upon themselves to answer a private email on my behalf explaning they were fixing my email. I have little faith in them TBH.

Soldato
I've got a few 'optimised' Wordpress based sites hosted with them and all complain about slow loading times on Insights etc - has been the case for a while now. It's not just admin side 'non-cached' either pages, but even homepage and frequently accessed pages are slow to load.

I'm considering moving if things don't pick up soon.

Associate
Bit of a thread revival again, Sorry.

Where did you guys move to in the end? I was looking at Siteground (Seems quite expensive for my needs), but seen a few mention Krystal.

Initial loading speed for me is just ridiculous. Up to 4 seconds from DNS request to css files been loaded.

@Six6siX @Ewaf @mrbell1984

Associate
Just been on livechat with Siteground. They ran a few checks on my current site with Vidahost and told me it was roughly taking 8 seconds from start to finish, which they claim is stupidly long.

They currently have a reduced rate offer, i'm tempted to go with them and just buy the 3 year package!

Back
Top Bottom