Vince's Ebay Repair Thread - (Console Repairs & Mods)

Man of Honour
OP
Showing off now
;)

Took my kindle apart the other week and think I managed to resolder the usb terminals, but not convinced it will last. It has a weird usb connection with wings that are screwed in. Not seen any like that before.

USB-C ports tend to have 4 through board connectors then two little screw wings to kinda hold it in place. Most USB connectors eventually break though sadly :(

Associate
Couldnt help it! Had to build tower of power...

Is there a way for developers to harness all that hardware? It would be very interesting to see what that combination could potentially do. I've seen MVG's video of Tomb Raider and that's just running on the 32x I think. Really impressive.

Soldato
There's a hack for Doom that uses the whole tower, RMC did a video of it working tail end of last year which was really cool! Think that's the only use all of the tower game out there

Man of Honour
OP
There's a hack for Doom that uses the whole tower, RMC did a video of it working tail end of last year which was really cool! Think that's the only use all of the tower game out there

I'm going to get into some of this when I am back from my holidays. Would be super interested to see what it can actually do.

Associate
I'm going to get into some of this when I am back from my holidays. Would be super interested to see what it can actually do.
What is the theoretical 'flops' or whatever the whole combination can potentially reach, compared to everything individually? Anyone know?

Man of Honour
OP
What is the theoretical 'flops' or whatever the whole combination can potentially reach, compared to everything individually? Anyone know?

I have no idea, making the most out of it would be a horrific task I imagine. So many different things going on.

Man of Honour
OP
I am back home and I arrived to a broken thing :) - nabbed it for 40 quid while on holidays... It's a PowKiddy rgb10 Max2 - Issues were no power/wouldn't read SD cards. It's wifi switch has also been snapped (still broken) but parts are on the way. The SD slot I replaced from one off a donor switch lite as it had a pin missing. Power I swapped its usb-c port. - I've smashed full libraries for GG/SMS/MD/GB/GBC/GBA/NES/SNES/LYNX onto it and also the RetroOZ custom firmware onto it with retroarch etc... not a bad little things tbh. It's a great size, decent screen, comfortable and has handled everything up to 16bit I have thrown at it.

Last edited:
Soldato
no likey? - not my normal thing either as I like the actual hardware but i thought it would be interesting to see what was inside etc. For me it was just something a bit different to have a play with.

No, I mean I got a post deleted once for talking about the naughty e word on steamdeck :)

Man of Honour
OP
No, I mean I got a post deleted once for talking about the naughty e word on steamdeck :)

There are whole threads about these things on here... massive retro handheld thread somewhere I have been watching. I think its ok so long as you aren't going to far into it etc. How else is a man to play "beats of rage" without it? - I might actually make a beats of rage sega bootleg cart out of something - That would actually be pretty cool.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
So I sent a modded GG out to a customer - Says he couldn't get it to work... got it back and sure enough I cant get it to not work.... Cant replicate at all the problem they were having unless I put like 4.8 volts (rather than 9v) to the console. So I can only replicate by massively under-volting it to the point its like "yea no". After 2 days testing I give up... I am convinced there is nothing wrong with it.

Man of Honour
OP
Is it possible that they are using the wrong power supply? I did that with some bike lights and nearly ended up replacing them before I spotted that I was using a 9V psu to power a 12v charger.

I asked that and they said they were using 6 brand new batteries. So I put 6 batteries in (1.25v rechargeable) and it runs fine on them so I hooked up my bench supply and started dropping voltage and it runs fine right down to like 5.3v ish... after that it starts acting up and their exact symptoms were showing at like 4.8v so I have to assume that the brand new batteries that they have are junk.

Soldato
Question:
I've got a launch switch with a dodgy fan, which I'd rather sort out before the whole thing cooks itself.

I've done plenty of laptops in the past, but never a tablet / phone (which is basically what the switch is).
How do-able is this really for someone like me? Online guide doesn't look too bad, but I've equally had trouble with some awfully designed laptops and sheer lack of space.....

Back
Top Bottom