*****Virgin Australia Supercars Championship 2018*****

Soldato
OP
Was too lazy to grab the track map with lap details on it for now but both races watched and very enjoyable.

Some excellent passing by Scotty and a few odd issue for 888 being quick one day but not the next!

Soldato
Red Bull made some changes that didn't work apparently.

Gutted that Reynolds opened the door just enough for Scotty to get through, he seemed to have him on pace once everything warmed up.

Scott has always been quick at Phillip Island, even back in the Volvo days so it's hardly surprising he had a clean sweep here.

On to Barbagallo :)

Associate
Was away at the weekend so caught up with the qualifying and races last night. As per usual did not dissapoint superb hard all out racing, so much for my predication that Jamie W would keep his orange number. Well done to Scotty Mac was also nice to see the Nissan competing. Jamie well off the pace race two whatever they changed from race one didn’t work. Can anyone explain the reason for his penalty as not sure what happened and didn’t seem to be explained by the experts there.

Soldato
OP
It seemed he got a bit excited at the first pit stop (around lap 17) and turned off his pitlane speed limiter at the wrong cone! Realised his mistake and turned it back on but rules are rules and he got busted for it.

Still mixes things up a bit and shuts up the Ford fanboys who say 888 never get penalties!

Associate
Yes after I posted went on the app and found loads of info regarding penalty rules are rules consistency by the officials is paramount thanks though for quick reply

Soldato
Was that whincup you're referring to for post race penalty last week? I skipped all pre build up so just heard he got bumped and couldn't work out what for.

Associate
Seems they check all car data after every race Jamie turned of his pit lane limiter by mistake turned it back on straight away but that was picked up thus penalty, gave him no advantage but rules are rules you pay for mistakes

Soldato
OP
U1k4mtk.jpg

Perth this weekend and Race 1 has already happened! Watching qualifying now and probably the race right after :)

Superspring weekend so 120km today and 200km tomorrow. Sub 1 min laps and usually utter chaos over the hill! :D

Associate
Watched race two last night have got to watch it again in detail to evaluate what exactly went on. Assume J/W pitted first at safety car as was in the lead but it all then seemed to go wrong for Red Bull need to see haw S/M and Ford jumped him and went on to win got a feeling Ford had more quality tyres in reserve and Red Bull driving on worn tyres used to qualify. The ins and outs of this championship absolutely riveting. Well done Scotty well done Craig and also well done Dave Reynolds supervracing as per usual

Soldato
OP
The races were great, the pit stops were chaotic and complicated to try and unpick!

Reynolds is an absolute gem with that binning it on the last corner too! I really hope he can push for the championship! :D

Soldato
Barbagallo always produces! Great first and second race. Utter chaos trying to work out where everyone is in reality especially with the early sc.

Soldato
OP
Yeah bit of a bummer that one! Was kinda hoping we'd get a GT-R out of them and Holden would rush through the Camaro for funsies!

Maybe another manufacturer might step up? Mercedes and Volvo have both played in the past!

Associate
Have now watched the second race from Barbagallo three times, was a smart move from Shell Ford don’t think they were to bothered about start placing, was all about the tyres. If you A, had green tyres in reserve B, managed to stay out of trouble in first few laps then u would always be able to compete with those that had gone through their tyre allocation in trying to qualify well up the grid. Here is a question that one of you may be able to answer why was a super soft tyre chose on a track that was so abrasive the only thing I can assume was to test the drivers ability.

Soldato
Yeah bit of a bummer that one! Was kinda hoping we'd get a GT-R out of them and Holden would rush through the Camaro for funsies!

Maybe another manufacturer might step up? Mercedes and Volvo have both played in the past!

Possibly, depends how the future regs go potentially, obviously V8s are mostly gone in saloon cars out in Aus now, and Altima is out of production, but the win on Sunday sell on Monday is still strong in Australia for Ford and Holden, which is why the Mustang is being brought in as it doesn't seem to matter about the car more the brand.

Celicaman, I'm unsure but Supercars don't usually have the same sort of logic of tyre selection as F1 and sometimes you get events like Barbagallo where the shorter tracks have more aggressive tyres which leads to some very interesting strategies, possibly to help spread the field out and minimise sc on such a cramped circuit? I'm unsure, but whatever it is it works!

Back
Top Bottom