Virgin Media Broadband 20MB

Soldato
Robert said:
Sorry but I never have issues at peak times with downloads or uploads/skype/TS/ventrilo/pings...

Right, because vm have a good network. They want it to stay that way, this a way of protecting it without increasing costs, which, would be passed on to the user.

Also to add to that, it will depend on your area, some student areas suffer at peak hours. I persoanlly have no problems either

Soldato
Zap said:
It's a shame people don't actually understand why this is needed and just resort to omgomg vm SUCK!! i'm going to sky bb!!11

From my experience traffic shaping and adsl in general is pretty **** poor

Er no. I fully understand why this is needed - but it isn't fair and the way they are implementing it is **** poor. Add to that we pay a stupidly high price anyway - or do you just lie down and take these things?

Scenario -

I come home at 5:30 - I download a demo of 1.4gb, I then want to download a few game patches totalling 1.6gb - bam, hit with a throttle. Is that fair that I'm then limited to 1/4 of my paid for speed?

Associate
Zap said:
xbox live users will most likely see a benefit in this. as will most online gamers. Try playing a game during peak hours and you might have problems with high pings, packet loss etc. Why does this happen?

Because there is more traffic at peak hours. By reducing this traffic, things like voip, live streaming, gaming will be improved and if your connection goes from 20meg to 5meg? None of these services use anywhere near to 20meg, 5 meg is loads more than enough, you won’t even notice. These services rely on a good quality, low latency connection, not high bandwidth

Unless you host a game and then you are screwed....

Ian

Ian

Associate
The limit is just far too low for the speed available. May aswell just go back to 4meg and leave it running over night.

Cant do anything useful with that 20meg when you get home from work

Associate
Ian said:
The limit is just far too low for the speed available. May aswell just go back to 4meg and leave it running over night.

Cant do anything useful with that 20meg when you get home from work

Basically what I said, if you're going to leave it overnight whats the point in having 20mb and it finishing at 3am instead of 6am when you're not up til 7am anyway.

Soldato
According to the article by Virgin Media: -

20Mbit users can download 3GB, at which point they are capped at 5Mbit for four hours.

4Mbit users can download 720MB, at which point they are capped at 2Mbit for four hours.

2Mbit users can download 350MB, at which point they are capped at 1Mbit for four hours.

It looks like downgrading is no escape. :mad:

Ian

Ian

Associate
Robert said:
Problem is 4meg can be throttled as well :/

doesnt really matter. if you cant use the service between 4pm and midnight, may aswell get the lowest speed and leave it downloading for longer outside the cap times

Soldato
Robert said:
Er no. I fully understand why this is needed - but it isn't fair and the way they are implementing it is **** poor. Add to that we pay a stupidly high price anyway - or do you just lie down and take these things?

Scenario -

I come home at 5:30 - I download a demo of 1.4gb, I then want to download a few game patches totalling 1.6gb - bam, hit with a throttle. Is that fair that I'm then limited to 1/4 of my paid for speed?

It's actually pretty fair.

The scenario -

I come home at 5:30 - I go to check my emails, surf a few pages on the web, maybe listen to some online radio, play an online game, make a voip call to a relation in the states, make a few bids on ebay, download the odd mp3 and turn my computer off for the night.

Now this represents 95% of people on the VM network, what if their emails took 5 minutes to download with time out errors, what if pages took 3 or 4 attempts to load, internet radion was constantly buffering, my online game was full of lag and i was constantly getting disconnected, my voip call was choppy and bad quality, my ebay bids timed out and i lost my bargain.

Now they pay for a connection which they expect to be usable and 24/7, how is it fair on them...remember this represents the majority. What if 20% of their 95% of users left because of bad quality service?

What should vm do? increase bandwidth? Ok so they do that and everyone is happy except that vm have to increase their prices to cover the costs, they lose a lot of their 95% of customers. If they cap it in the way they have done they might lose a few users but it will only be a small portion of the 5% so it's the best option for vm. Remember they are a business and they need to make money to exists, unless you want some kind of national broadband service lol

Permabanned
Zap said:
Well if you're going to host a game then just make sure you haven't downloaded 3 gigs of data just before. not much bother is it

Theres a bit gap between the different packages.

Do you think i would use more than 750Meg between the hours of 4 and midnight playing games online?

Soldato
Zap said:
It's actually pretty fair.

The scenario -

I come home at 5:30 - I go to check my emails, surf a few pages on the web, maybe listen to some online radio, play an online game, make a voip call to a relation in the states, make a few bids on ebay, download the odd mp3 and turn my computer off for the night.

Now this represents 95% of people on the VM network, what if their emails took 5 minutes to download with time out errors, what if pages took 3 or 4 attempts to load, internet radion was constantly buffering, my online game was full of lag and i was constantly getting disconnected, my voip call was choppy and bad quality, my ebay bids timed out and i lost my bargain.

Now they pay for a connection which they expect to be usable and 24/7, how is it fair on them...remember this represents the majority. What if 20% of their 95% of users left because of bad quality service?

What should vm do? increase bandwidth? Ok so they do that and everyone is happy except that vm have to increase their prices to cover the costs, they lose a lot of their 95% of customers. If they cap it in the way they have done they might lose a few users but it will only be a small portion of the 5% so it's the best option for vm. Remember they are a business and they need to make money to exists, unless you want some kind of national broadband service lol

So simple - introduce a fixed speed with fixed cost. Sorry...but I don't care what you say - my parents pay for an extremely expensive BB service. I want to download at 10+mb when I want without having to worry about caps.

Hurley said:
Theres a bit gap between the different packages.

Do you think i would use more than 750Meg between the hours of 4 and midnight playing games online?

Nope

Permabanned
Ulfhedjinn said:
Wait until you have to patch it or re-do a Steam install.

Im an xbox gamer :)

Sorry had to post this it made me chuckle.

help.jpg

I like the Star next to the No hidden catches quote.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom