Virgin Media Broadband 20MB

Soldato
Ulfhedjinn said:
I'd think of the restrictions as some ****hole trying to clean your windows while you try to drive, or someone going around painting different numbers onto speed limit signs so you have to slow down. ;)

Think of it as rush hour. The government could increase taxes or introduce tolls to widen the motorways so that rush hour wouldn't cause such slow moving traffic. Now think about the rest of the time outside of rush hour when the extra lines sit idle. Massive costs and disruption for the benefit of a few hours. Not the perfect analogy but still...

Soldato
Zap said:
Think of it as rush hour. The government could increase taxes or introduce tolls to widen the motorways so that rush hour wouldn't cause such slow moving traffic. Now think about the rest of the time outside of rush hour when the extra lines sit idle. Massive costs and disruption for the benefit of a few hours. Not the perfect analogy but still...
I'd gladly think of it of congestion, but in my experience (before the traffic shaping trials) there is very little, if any, on the Virgin Media network. At in my area.

It's more like the government setting up a toll and lowering the speed limit on a road that's only relatively busy so they can squeeze a bit more money out of drivers.

Soldato
Ulfhedjinn said:
I'd gladly think of it of congestion, but in my experience (before the traffic shaping trials) there is very little, if any, on the Virgin Media network. At in my area.

It's more like the government setting up a toll and lowering the speed limit on a road that's only relatively busy so they can squeeze a bit more money out of drivers.

It really does depend on the area, if it were feasible to introduce different limits for different areas then that would work better, but that would be even more unfair. And as i've said before, i believe vm are expecting bandwidth demand to increase as more users start using the web more and downloading more. iirc ntl used to have a 75 gig cap on the 10 meg service which they took off. I personally believe that they will change the capping in the future, probably for the better

Soldato
Ive been upgraded in Bromley it seems, wasnt really looking out for it but wanted to download two patches for a game of mine and was pleasently surprised to see the following:

20mbvirginrd7.jpg

This is at peak time also, so im hoping my service wont be degraded by the upgrades and carry on with its usual brilliant service ive got for the last 7 years.

Checking my cable modem log does show ive been upgraded to 20mb/768kb also.

Best thing is, I still only pay £17.99 a month for it like I have done for the last few months due to some sort of admin error I assume. :)

Soldato
Frank Butcher said:
Ive been upgraded in Bromley it seems, wasnt really looking out for it but wanted to download two patches for a game of mine and was pleasently surprised to see the following:

20mbvirginrd7.jpg

This is at peak time also, so im hoping my service wont be degraded by the upgrades and carry on with its usual brilliant service ive got for the last 7 years.

Checking my cable modem log does show ive been upgraded to 20mb/768kb also.

Best thing is, I still only pay £17.99 a month for it like I have done for the last few months due to some sort of admin error I assume. :)
Have you downloaded 3GB already though?

Permabanned
I am not really dissapointed in the shaping, I mean I will just have to download at night and I do that now I leave my server on 24/7.

Maybe its steep £37 to not have a unlimted 20 meg connection 24/7 but it would cost a hell of a lot more for a business connection for 20 meg unlimited.

Associate
I see why some are not happy, but remember its 4-12, thats 8 hours there are another 16 :), I do most my DL in the morning setting up before I leave for the day.

Also remember there are ways to set up timers to DL at what ever time you want.

Im not happy, but tbh I think Ive had this going on for months already, nights I get 200 or so, if I am lucky days I get 900-1000.

Soldato
The support guys on the VM newsgroups are compiling a list of questions which they will get answers for. One of them is whether cutting the XL speed to 5 meg is for the current 10mb service and whether the 20mb will go down to 10mb.

Soldato
Robert said:
Yeah, you could still DL at a healthy 1.2mb/s. I'd be happy with that.
Me too, most definitely.

It'd free up the network for everyone else (which I still think is complete bull), and would still get my large downloads out of the way in a timely fashion so that I don't have to wait around for them too long and get annoyed. Especially when I'm in a hurry.

Associate
Hi Guys,

Got home from work today and my cable modem had been reset 3 times remotely. I am in the Enfield North London area so I am not sure if the reboots were anything to do with the 20Mb roll out.

I checked my logs and my modem is still grabbing the 10240-384 config file but I also saw errors that say update failed. I gave VM a call to see if it was due to the roll out and they were not sure and could not confirm if they have started the roll out in North London. I then asked if my modem was compatible and they again said they were not sure :confused:

If they don't know I am sure one of you guys will :D
Does anyone have the 20Mb upgrade and have the Motorola SB4100?
Does anyone in the Enfield area or North London have it yet?

BTW I have checked this site to see if the modem is okay at 20Mb but all it says is:- Does support 10Mbps Tier of Service as does most of the other modem listed.
http://www.chetnet.co.uk/articles/index.php?page=index_v2&id=91&c=4

Cheers
XG

Permabanned
xgeek said:
If they don't know I am sure one of you guys will :D
Does anyone have the 20Mb upgrade and have the Motorola SB4100?
Does anyone in the Enfield area or North London have it yet?
[/url]

I have a SB4200, I am in Preston area and I didnt even reboot my modem, just got home from work, looked at the list and check my speeds, my modem was on all day so it could have been reboot remotely.

Loving the upload speeds big time, happy chappy here on the new 20meg 2 more hours and I can let the downloading go crazy.

:D :D :D

:rolleyes: at the people moaning and cancelling there accounts, go to Adsl and free up the VM network.

Back
Top Bottom