Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Associate
Landlord kicking us out due to renovations. Found a new place we like, signed the agreements but just discovered we can't take virgin with us. Virgin want £150 to cancel even though given the choice we wouldn't. Any way out of this?

Associate
So, instead of just unplugging the hub for 30 secends and then pluging it back in, I've done a full reset and left it 30mins. I've just done speed test and I'm now getting 207mb next to modem and I even get close to 100mb in my room now... :eek:

I will see what it's like tomorrow morning and afternoon though, has it is getting late now.

EDIT: just done test again and getting 260mb!! I have never got over 200 before, the signal seems to have improved aswell. my Speedtest result! How fast is your internet? https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/6345513497

Last edited:
Associate
Bit of a weird one here....

I'm on the business 500Mbit service with static IP's, the last few months there's been a utilisation issue and I've had a number of disconnects during this period. Speed tests (SamKnows white box) has shown a degradation in speeds over that period from the speed tests it performs, but in real world downloading it's not been too bad.

Last weekend there were a number of prolonged outages and since it's come back up the SamKnows white box is reporting much better speeds, so I assume they've done some work (I'm off New Malden).

This is where things get weird, I'm developing a my own open source software to analyse pings (Windows, macOS, Linux), but since the past weekend I no longer get TTL expired responses from anywhere. Initially I thought it was my set up, but using he traceroute directly on the Hitron modem shows the same issue, the hops don't respond.

Anybody else on the 13 static IP package that can perform a traceroute to 1.1.1.1 and see if you get responses from hops in the path?

yHAB254.png[

Associate
Couple of quick questions, having never had a Fibre connection before.

Has anyone had topcashback track when also applying a bill credit voucher code to a Broadband order?

Also, more importantly, am I right in thinking that I'm unlikely to notice any difference while gaming/watching Netflix etc between the 200Mbp/s (£34 a month) and the 350Mbp/s(£40)/500Mbps/s (£46) packages?

There will only ever be two people using the internet at the same time, my thinking is 200Mb/s should be ample for this, as I'm assuming latency should be the same across the board, right?

Man of Honour
Also, more importantly, am I right in thinking that I'm unlikely to notice any difference while gaming/watching Netflix etc between the 200Mbp/s (£34 a month) and the 350Mbp/s(£40)/500Mbps/s (£46) packages?

There will only ever be two people using the internet at the same time, my thinking is 200Mb/s should be ample for this, as I'm assuming latency should be the same across the board, right?
Correct you won't notice any difference with just two users and latency will be the same.

Associate
Thanks Duke, appreciate the response.

Fastest internet I've ever had is around 10-20Mbp/s, now I'm spoilt for choice with speeds, the 100/200Mbp/s look slow on the face of things, which is absurd when you think about it!

Man of Honour
No worries & yes I find the same, only me in the house so just got their 100mbit connection. They do bump the speeds occasionally and thought another was mentioned and due soon but not heard anything concrete yet.

Associate
Yeah, if it weren't for the girlfriend streaming while I game I'd have just gone for the 100mb too tbh.

Still seems crazy fast when I can remember playing counter strike on dial up haha.

Soldato
just a quick questions if you dont mind answering ? thanks

im thinking of sign up for virgin cable broadband 100mb. what time do the engineer visit?

im with vodafone with phone line, broadband got offline for 2 weeks. ive reported the fault to them and its extremely hard to talk to anyone! they said they'll send out the engineer but during the weekday 9 to 6pm. i work 8 to 5 mon to fri. there is no way of me booking an annual leave for them!

i had virgin cable years ago, maybe 15 years ago. i think i had the engineer came out late evening like 7pm. is it still ?

thanks

Soldato
Virgin's time slots are basically am or pm on a given day (they did vary in some areas with a 10-2 for example), they can and do install on Saturday, same with faults, but they tend to go quickly, you need someone over the age of 18 at the property, but that's about it. In fairness to most other operators, they all work on a similar basis from experience.

Man of Honour
Soldato
Don't think it will be long before some North East areas are upgraded. I would imagine Newcastle and the surrounding areas can't be far off as Openreach have been pushing FTTP in the area.

That literally has nothing to do with the way a rollout works. It’s done by region, it used to be region 1 (Scotland) first, then NE etc. that was because historically much of the technical staff and hardware was up that way. When they centralised tech support in Liverpool, they began focusing trial programs in the NW as it was on the doorstep. It was slightly ironic that many parts of the NW were analogue only till very late on, staff who couldn’t get digital service had to support it daily.

Caporegime
That literally has nothing to do with the way a rollout works. It’s done by region, it used to be region 1 (Scotland) first, then NE etc. that was because historically much of the technical staff and hardware was up that way. When they centralised tech support in Liverpool, they began focusing trial programs in the NW as it was on the doorstep. It was slightly ironic that many parts of the NW were analogue only till very late on, staff who couldn’t get digital service had to support it daily.

It used to be done that way, but it isn't for the Gig1 rollout. They are targetting cities rather than regions.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom