Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
I was due to get my 500mb installed today the engineer came saying best to run the cable around the property upstairs so had to re-book for next week he said he will do for me, do I need to do anything else or do I take his word?

Soldato
Might delay my install for a couple of weeks, but they weren't happy as I'd placed my order on Black Friday. It's only for a M100 install, keep reading about all these connection issues and poor service. Vodafone has been spot on, but it's only a 70/20 connection

Soldato
Nevermind what I said, they called and said rebooked for 22nd Jan earliest....what a joke wish they would have mentioned the issue whilst installing the box outside and the tech that came today didn't even notify them.

Soldato
Nevermind what I said, they called and said rebooked for 22nd Jan earliest....what a joke wish they would have mentioned the issue whilst installing the box outside and the tech that came today didn't even notify them.

This is why I think more and more they're not worth my time or money

Man of Honour
Just installed the Hub4 that arrived today and it all auto activated just plugging it in. Turned on modem mode from my phone after connecting to the hub's wifi (sod disconnecting my switch and faffing with cables lol) and got back and running within 20 mins or so.

HQhmsf9.jpg

Getting 900-950 down and 40-50 up on a peak weekday evening so not bad at all. Shame the uploads are so low still but I guess hopefully they increase this once the whole country is FTTP which VM are planning on doing over the next 2 years I heard.

The Hub 4 does look and feel cheap and inferior to the Hub 3 though it has to be said. Not that it matters as it's in modem mode and sat behind a sofa. The LED ring is quite bright however which is slightly annoying.

Edit*

nice now that STEAM can download a big game in 10 mins :p

dyLOLTj.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Stuck in a rut with Virgin Media at the moment and now see why the customer service is so dreadful. I’m on M200 and my area (Stockport SK2) doesn’t support much higher speeds at the moment. I did think M500 or Gig1 was now available, but seems not. I can switch to M350 but only if I take a Superhub 3. I’m on a Superhub 2AC and would only upgrade to a hub 4 or 5 at this point, but none are available according to CS. I cancelled the service and 2 days later they phoned to confirm I can have a hub 4 and M350 for £25 less than I am currently paying. Why does it have to be like this!? And their website is useless for any account changes - everything must be done on the phone.

Man of Honour
Hmm so testing speeds throughout the night and looks like Hub 4 will max out for me at 945Mbps testing on both nperf and Speedtest.net. I looked up the hub 5 specs and can see that whilst the 5 has a 2.5Gbps port on #4, the hub 4 only has all Gigabit ports. regardless though, the rest of my LAN kit except for my PC is only Gigabit so with overheads 950Mbps is the max I can expect..

I guess 945 will have to do for the forceable :p

Associate
Can anyone advise on whether there is meant to be a noticeable humming sound emitting from the SH4? The sound is definitely coming from the device which didn't occur with the SH3. Now when in the same room you can hear it. I tried moving it about to see if there is an ideal position but the noise is still audible.

Is this normal with the SH4 or should the device be completely silent like the SH3 was before it?

Associate
Mine has made a slight noise when it's not sat right on its base, just moving it about it shuts it up, I guess its internal fan or something creates a minor vibration.

Back
Top Bottom