Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Associate
Yeah i'm hoping that I will eventually find that sweet spot that reducing the humming somewhat. Hopefully in time I won't notice it as much. The main thing is I guess it's not a fault with the device if others have experienced the same thing.

Associate
The SH3 doesn't have a fan, but the SH4 does at the bottom. Mine doesn't seem to ever spin up, but its in modem mode so less overall load and more recently in a cabinet with cooling fans.

If it is the fan then I would make sure the SH4 is sitting on a flat hard surface to avoid blocking the intake at the bottom.

Associate
Quick question for anyone who is using the Wi-Fi pods the latest ones.

Can you do me a favour a try something with one of them, if you have a network switch can you plug one of them in to it via ethernet and do a speedtest before and after just to see if they actually work via a switch and if there is any kind of improvement with speed.

Cheers

Associate
Has anyone had to be 'enrolled' so that you can eligible for the volt upgrade? I've been having some issues with applying mine as it said that my volt benefits are active when they aren't and when I rang up O2 they said they would send out a text message(!) to confirm but this hasn't arrived anyone been in this predicament?

Soldato
The SH3 doesn't have a fan, but the SH4 does at the bottom. Mine doesn't seem to ever spin up, but its in modem mode so less overall load and more recently in a cabinet with cooling fans.

If it is the fan then I would make sure the SH4 is sitting on a flat hard surface to avoid blocking the intake at the bottom.

Another reason to relocate it if I ever upgrade to a 4 or 5.

Last time I enquired about moving the ingress point for the cable, they quoted me a standard £30 fee which seemed rather cheap by their standards. Is that genuinely the charge to move the cable?

Soldato
just receieved email to claim the hub 5, should be here 15th jan think I currently have hub2 or 3 , dont really need it as I have my router AX88U and have hub in modem mode

Soldato
Why is everyone in such a rush to get one with all the problems going on with it, other people wanting one just so they can put it in modem mode.

what problems does it have ? just checked I have the superhub 2 since 2015 ? think its overdue why shouldnt I be allowed to upgrade regardless if have it in modem mode it has 2.5Gbps Ethernet port which I could make use and newer chipset , ? I had to put my own money in to get better router because the virgin supplied hub 2 would need restarting few days because the Wifi would just break couldnt handle multiple wireless connections

Associate
To be fair I just want it for the faster WiFi speeds, I’ve just downgraded house size so don’t need my old setup which was Hub 4 modem mode.. and I have 3 of the Netgear Orbi Mesh.. providing the hub5 covers the house I was going to sell the Orbi’s

Associate

I've got my SH4 in modem mode also which is connected to ASUS RT-AC86U. Another thing that I would say though as you mentioned the blocking. The perferated top of the router does look like over time this could allow for dust to build up within the unit which may or may not cause and issue.

On another note, just done a speed test over wifi and got 890Mbps Download and 50Mbps Upload which is an improvement on my initial download speed test when the device was setup on Friday.

Does anyone think it's likely that in 2022 virgin will offer symmetrical speed on their broadband services ?

Caporegime
They have no reason to offer a symmetric service. The competing networks that offer it have tiny footprints. Until things like "fastest broadband in the UK" include combined up/down speeds they won't feel the pressure.

Soldato
They have no reason to offer a symmetric service. The competing networks that offer it have tiny footprints. Until things like "fastest broadband in the UK" include combined up/down speeds they won't feel the pressure.

Plus, whilst we always want as much speed as we can get, the current offerings from most providers are more than adequate for all but the most demanding tasks. I'm only on 350/35 but it's still perfectly fine for Plex streaming and my weekly offsite backups. The only time I could really use more is when I'm shifting a large amount of data from home to the office for work purposes but that's very rare.

Associate
Plus, whilst we always want as much speed as we can get, the current offerings from most providers are more than adequate for all but the most demanding tasks. I'm only on 350/35 but it's still perfectly fine for Plex streaming and my weekly offsite backups. The only time I could really use more is when I'm shifting a large amount of data from home to the office for work purposes but that's very rare.

I agree with you 100% there. I don't particularly require the 1Gig I have as like yourself the most arduous task that I need speed for is for running Plex, zoom meetings, and downloading of large files which I guess the speed does help when it strips off minutes. I think as long as I can get a good dealing, I will edge towards getting the fastest speed available in my area.

Soldato
I've only just seen the O2 and VOLT stuff. I must have been living under a rock. It can't be this easy surely... I can literally just go on my O2 sim only accounts (I have two for my kids but in my name) and just "turn on" the VOLT stuff so that my Virgin broadband goes up in speed?
Our Virgin media account is in my wife's name though. We currently are on an 18 month deal about to come to an end. I think the first 6 months were half price. Now we pay probably something like £80-90 a month and we get some basic phone (we don't even have it plugged in), TV with sky sports but not movies, and 220mb broadband. I think called M200? Will turning on the O2 stuff get me a discount or faster broadband?
Will this play into my hand or not given that I am about to phone up on behalf of the wife to try to negotiate a new deal? I think when the 18 month deal ends in a month or two it goes up to something silly like £120 a month. So should I do this first or wait?

Back
Top Bottom