Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
While I dont have much of an issue with my connection I think I would likely move, just to try out something else/the improved latency on fibre.

That said VM will be doing 2gig connections at some point and if they can improve their network.......
100% FTTP. EE use BT, so get whatever is cheaper after cash back deals and any extras you want.
Signed up for EE, thanks chaps. 100mb for £28.50 and I can upgrade to 500mb for an extra tenner if required. Speed guarantee is like 65mb on the 100mb or 300mb for the 500mb package. Annoyingly booked in for the day I am going on holiday but hopefully it all works out ok!

They did however upgrade my mobile plan temporarily to unlimited data which was a nice perk, so I can tether if required.

Soldato
How are you finding the speeds

It's same as my HUB 3 was but the Wi-Fi used to be 300mb or so downstairs now it's always at cap 550mb or so very good signal.

Think I might just go for 1gb speed now since I am near my cabinet and the HUB 5 obviouisly handles it....they wouldn't need to change the cable?

Soldato
It's same as my HUB 3 was but the Wi-Fi used to be 300mb or so downstairs now it's always at cap 550mb or so very good signal.

Think I might just go for 1gb speed now since I am near my cabinet and the HUB 5 obviouisly handles it....they wouldn't need to change the cable?

Being near the cabinet has nothing to do with achieving full/1Gb speeds with Virgin. They never need to change the cable either.

However VM do have a project ongoing to upgrade their network to true FTTP over the next however many years, to migrate away from DOCSIS to XGS-PON.

Associate
I had an issue recently with my connection giving me about a 10th of expected speeds.
The engineer who came out swapped some connections outside, removed the isolator on the internal connection box and swapped the attenuator on the line after checking the levels.
While he was doing his thing, he looked at the plugs at the back of the Hub 5 and tried telling me I had my router plugged into the wrong Ethernet port and was adamant I should never use that one as it is only 2.5G where the other sockets are 5G. :rolleyes:
I tried hard not to laugh.

Caporegime
2.5G where the other sockets are 5G.
spit-coffee.gif

Soldato
Found out something irritating about VM Business 4G backup.

So the idea is when the line fails it takes over.

Except no it doesn't. It has to be a specific type of fault approved by VM otherwise it will sit there flashing at you doing nothing when your line is down.

9 hours downtime the other day. Absolute garbage for the simcard based backup to go down with the wired connection.

Back
Top Bottom