Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Anecdotally for me all the 5G I've ever get seems to use the same backhaul as 4G, I can get 5G where I live but it's no faster than the 4G, latency is a bit better and that's about it!

Last edited:
I am stuck in the same position. I either get 50mb service with any other provider or I'm stuck with vrigin for higher speeds. Reliability is great, just wish I had other options

No 5g around here either so it's not even an option

Lots of places nowdays do have other options now! when I moved into my house 13 years ago being able to get Virgin media 50meg was amazing coming from 7meg ADSL - trouble is Virgin have had the luxury of no real competition for years on broadband as far as speed was concerned. the customer service is now a shambles and now there is better/ cheaper broadband available to many people. I think Virgin must be losing lots of customers to to FTTP networks and if you look at the comments here even those who can't leave want to jump ship to FTTC as soon as it arrives.

What is Virgins strategy looking forward now they no longer offer the best broadband and have terrible customer service? Are they going to invest and upgrade their old coaxial network? or die a slow ISP death?

I'm getting about 5/6 total dropouts per day at this point.

VM Connect app doesn't recognise me as being connected to the hub at all, but when I am the hub is getting 120mbps, if I'm lucky. I'm on the 1Gbps package yet I think in the last 2 months I've had full speed via the hub maybe 5 times.

Started to go directly to the complaints people now, bored of having to be told to reboot the hub everytime it drops.

I'm getting about 5/6 total dropouts per day at this point.

VM Connect app doesn't recognise me as being connected to the hub at all, but when I am the hub is getting 120mbps, if I'm lucky. I'm on the 1Gbps package yet I think in the last 2 months I've had full speed via the hub maybe 5 times.

Started to go directly to the complaints people now, bored of having to be told to reboot the hub everytime it drops.
All I can say is move as soon as possible when FTTP becomes available, if it's already available just move!! - I moved to City Fiber network with the ISP Giganet two months ago, its been a constant 900+meg up and down since I've had it and much lower latency in online games. From my experience I'm glad to be rid of Virgin Media and their horrendous call centres.

Last edited:
All I can say is move as soon as possible when FTTP becomes available, if it's already available just move!! - I moved to City Fiber network with the ISP Giganet two months ago, its been a constant 900+meg up and down since I've had it and much lower latency in online games. From my experience I'm glad to be rid of Virgin Media and their horrendous call centres.

VM need to start to fix it. Anyone know what's causing this on the VM network?

Yeah I moved from Sky at their 145Mbps package which was solid to this naff VM package, I got a stonkingly good deal but in retrospect defo wouldn't ever go with VM again.

Sadly only Toob are "coming soon" so it's either 145Mbps with Sky or 1.1Gbps (ha) with VM.

Yeah I moved from Sky at their 145Mbps package which was solid to this naff VM package, I got a stonkingly good deal but in retrospect defo wouldn't ever go with VM again.

Sadly only Toob are "coming soon" so it's either 145Mbps with Sky or 1.1Gbps (ha) with VM.
Toob look great! nice speed and great price. hopefully you won't have to wait too long.

the o2 sim for my Volt package has arrived, the 5G signal has improved compared to two years ago, and now I can at least complete a speed test :cry: - 3Mbps for down/up. At the same spot, EE 5G - 30 to 40Mbps for both down/up, and Voda 15Mbps down/7Mbps up.

The new package used to change immediately, but my new VM package won't start until mid-March.

Look what turned up this morning

y4m5f7Yp4RlzMk8fNjtS7bHJg3uvngaDzBgDpbc3vQLLm4CVgrnF9xnYfINLtLTsNhOjW2Zkj9_fJwaumxBx7miwUKorGNRHB6ZIvmoNjSSLG7PB7s_9xyyNAxdzOfM2SWvMybOHF2y9Z-Sk8B6QXKUaTbShD0n_ZYOrzI_r7W-3JWj5axyiewee7Gqsq54bcoB

They want to increase mine by £12 a month so i will be using it a chance to get out of my contract.

LILA has now gone live in my street so I'll be paying £29.99 for gigabit internet.
Music to my ears of people switching from Virgin as soon as FFTP is installed to their property. I'll be doing the same in July. Openreach was installing fibre last week on my road.

I'm very envious of you all getting emails about the price rises. I don't seem to have had one! My contract ends in August, could that have anything to do with it?

Having issues with packet loss since upgrading to a hub 5 about a month ago. When the packet loss happens, the QAM on my upstream drops to 16, when it goes back up to 64 the packet loss stops. Had a couple of engineers out who've done different things to try and fix it but it's still happening, not sure what else to try next as it's impossible to game like this

Back
Top Bottom