Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Same here, been with Virgin before that NTL before Virgin took over since about 2002, even now there is no alternative whatsoever, speed thankfully has never been an issue around me in all these years. I can pretty much max out my download/upload speeds 24/7 without slowdowns. Not going to get BT FTTP until 2026 according them but they are available 3 miles away so hopefully they may roll it out before then.

Either I enjoy 1.1gig down or drop way back to 50Mbps if I'm lucky which for me is way too slow. If VM does full FTTP to my house before BT then I'll probably stay with them depending on the price.

I’ve been with Virgin for 20+ years. There is no alternative to them where I live (believe me I’ve explored it) and no sign of any in the near future. The broadband and Tv are pretty solid (albeit expensive) and I need a solid wired connection for working from home. It’s the Wi-Fi that’s doing my head in. It’s shocking and seems to be getting worse. I live in a 50s bungalow that’s been extended several times with many different ring circuits (I’m mentioning this because I’ve (unsuccessfully) tried the powerline adaptors). I currently have a wired TP-Link acting as an extender (not sure if that’s the right term) which is in the dormer extension. I still have some noticeable dead spots in the house. I keep reading about Mesh setups. Can anybody recommend one that they have successfully set up with Virgin Media? I still want the wired connection to my desktop PC for work. I’m asking now in case anything comes up in any sales in the next week or so

I got an Eero system from Amazon that has worked flawlessly with mine. It's really easy to manage and easy to set up. I get full speed throughout my house now on Wifi.

Anyone have a phone number for Retentions? Tried their whatsapp chat and their normal customer service - but cant seem to get through to the people who can offer the best discounts.

Got another 3 weeks until the service is cut off and would prefer to stay, but maybe it's finally time to make the switch to FTTP.

Anyone have a phone number for Retentions? Tried their whatsapp chat and their normal customer service - but cant seem to get through to the people who can offer the best discounts.

Got another 3 weeks until the service is cut off and would prefer to stay, but maybe it's finally time to make the switch to FTTP.
Unless you use their TV services, there really isn't much reason to stay if you have FTTP available to you.

Having a quick google the retentions number is 0345 454 1111

"How do I contact Virgin Media retentions?

When you decide to renegotiate/cancel the best method and time to contact them is to call 150 from a Virgin landline or mobile, or 0345 454 1111, but best to call at 8am when lines first open to avoid call queues"

Last edited:
Unless you use their TV services, there really isn't much reason to stay if you have FTTP available to you.

Main reason is the telephone and anytime calls. Although we increasingly use mobile, it's nice to have a landline number and to be able to use it for the occasional very long calls to friends and family.

With FTTP, having the phone line means using the supplied router. I have a pfsense setup so using the router would mean double nat. I looked into porting the landline to a VOIP provider and doing it that way, but it's a hassle and the costs go up quite significantly if you want free minutes. All in all, just seems easier to stick with VM.

I need to ditch the landline at some point, though.

Doing the contract renewal dance with VM as I'm out of contract, so is jumping from £30 to £45 for just 200mbit (350mbit boosted although I'm not with O2 anymore so not sure how long that will last).

Phoned up just now and first offer was £37, went through to retentions and second offer was £34. They wouldn't budge on length of contract down from 18 months which is annoying with several other providers being on the horizon for the first time. Said I'd think about it but will try the text option or just phone again in a few days. May need to do the full pretend cancel this time round and wait for a call back.

Last edited:
I need to ditch the landline at some point, though.
Just do it now, I don't really see any point in landlines these days when the vast majority of phone SIMs come with unlimited minutes, and calls to other countries can be made via WhatsApp/Messenger/Facetime/whatever.

How 'sticky' is the assigned WAN IP if used in Modem mode?
...I had my last IP for 5 or 6 years,...I've had (this) IP for three years now, too...
Nice one, @ChrisD. Cheers for jinxing me! :p I was just about to go to sleep last night after spending hours putting up new servers, and thought I'd kill two birds with one stone and update my own homelab status page after updating the one for prod. Then, 'Odd, one of the Docker hosts is down'... So I wearily start troubleshooting Docker, and then they all start to tumble (as the status updates). Lightbulb moment, curl -4 ip.me, and yup... new IP. Our little exchange was fresh in my mind while I'm 'happily' updating DNS records and checking propagation from my edge at 4am before I can go to sleep. Could have been worse, I might not have realised and the kids would have screamed me awake at 7am because YouTokagram wasn't working. :D

Virgin offered £35pm for the Gig1 which I agreed to, and that's without the O2 volt add-on which I can either now get rid off which was initially £10pm (now gone up to £13.10pm) or see if there's a cheaper option for maybe 5-£6pm.

Virgin offered £35pm for the Gig1 which I agreed to, and that's without the O2 volt add-on which I can either now get rid off which was initially £10pm (now gone up to £13.10pm) or see if there's a cheaper option for maybe 5-£6pm.

Yeah, that seems to be the lowest they go right now. They wanted £29 for me but with O2.

Has anyone else‘s VM gone down? I’m in London area.

Yes and in London but its been repaired properly yesterday, not sure what happen they have had 2 broadband down times in the past week, Last Saturday evening and then again 2-3 days after the last one took 2 days for them to fully fix and oddly effected phone line and tv which is rare, 99% of my downtime is broadband in my area.

It would not be normal in my area for VM bb to not go down at least once a week however, only positive is they usually can fix it within hours.

Yeah, that seems to be the lowest they go right now. They wanted £29 for me but with O2.

I managed to get 1gig for £34, but I did leave and wait for them to call back.

Through the usual number it was just silly, £49 for 500mb and I was told by 2 people that was the absolute lowest :rolleyes:

I don't have any other option though so it's the best deal for now.

Reactions: TNA
Back
Top Bottom