Virgin Media Discussion Thread

The BT man left, probably to go get his gang of BT vans.
We had our BT taken out by the first digger shovel to go into the ground (Gas Board) even after all the services being beautifully marked out.
They had us all reconnected by dinner the next day If I recall, prolly a little more difficult with fiber runs these days though.

Last edited:
Had low upload speed and packet loss all day. I'm guessing this is an area issue but it has been impossible to game. Multiple resets of the router done and no fix... Now to wait on an engineer

The new VM connection graph, haven't put any QoS on it, hence it looks a bit messy when I was hammering some downloads yesterday midday, plus a reboot later in the day yesterday to relocate the hub. Other than that the connection is idle as it only has 1 device going through it. I know VM get a lot of stick but in my area at least the graph looks solid with no hint of peak time congestion. Latency is higher than OR FTTP but that is expected.

3e7e207b04fa450e63f970627ce2bd3d4b5ca9bf-30-06-2023.png

Aquiss 900, the red line was when I unplugged the connection from the UDM to the ONT, to see how long a failover would take and it was around 10 seconds, Sonos didn't even stop playing.

685542fb8e3b9e038592a6828ada3580f40f773d.png

@ChrisD. Your latency variance doesn't look too bad, sure its a high min but a lot more steady than the likes of mine and @uvarvu where its variance in peak times is worse than in the early hours morning

edbd27bcb3499f20de27bd225c0f4abc4fe04a29-26-06-2023.png

Yup when hammering downloads it does get messy on TBBQM but that's normal, I should try some QoS one day.

Did your upload sort itself out, I generally see 100-108 on upload.

LAN

14931606095.png

Wifi ( 1Gb port on AP :( )

14931596897.png

Last edited:
Bufferbloat can be a bit random on VM for me, today seems like a good day I can apparently low latency game :D I'm sure if I try again it will say no :D Generally an A though and I never have problems gaming but I'd never know with my crapness :D

Perhaps your VM is adding additional overhead or the drivers on the USB dongle aren't the latest, I know my 2.5Gb dongle was rubbish until I force installed the latest realtek drivers.

bufferbloat.png

Infact ran again and yup caution for gaming

bufferbloat.png

Last edited:
Well angry BT man came back with his gang earlier, 5 vans and theyve re-connected all the pairs. Theyre now going house to house ensuring everything is working fine, mine is fortunately.

My upload speed seems to be capped below 100Mbps as well, usually 90-97Mbps, is it worth getting VM to have a look at it? No issue on the download through my 2.5Gb port, get the full 1152Mbps or whatever it is.
No harm in giving them a call and see what they say.

If it was me I would rather take the loss on the upload speed and not call them but if you need the speed then give VM a call.

Most prob turn around and say its not there issue even though it is lol

No harm in giving them a call and see what they say.

If it was me I would rather take the loss on the upload speed and not call them but if you need the speed then give VM a call.

Most prob turn around and say its not there issue even though it is lol
Exactly why I won't ring them, I don't really need the upload as it's backup internet only at present, and I cannot be bothered with dealing with them blaming my PC/AV(macOS, don't have it)/fridge/weather/dog etc, as I'll invariably lose my ****.

Exactly why I won't ring them, I don't really need the upload as it's backup internet only at present, and I cannot be bothered with dealing with them blaming my PC/AV(macOS, don't have it)/fridge/weather/dog etc, as I'll invariably lose my ****.
Indeed, I avoid calling VM as much as possible.

They are hopeless, crap quality line so you cannot make out what they are saying half the time and do not listen.

Reactions: R3X
So VM mail is still down as I still error out on my iPhone and Thunderbird. So much for a 6 hour down time, they've now hit 24hrs+. Honestly what clowns do thry have working on this because they need sacking. I use VM email and a Gmail address equally but after this mess I'm ditching the VM address entirely because it's too unreliable.

Back
Top Bottom