Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Associate
I can get 162mbps on my iphone 6, but it doesn't always get that, now as an example it's only getting 65... I've not tested it until now since I got my upgrade to 200 but it should be possible on wireless devices..

Man of Honour
Just out of interest, do people's VM speeds carry over to the xbox one network? On a wired computer I get constant speeds like http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=29029420&postcount=12165

However, my wired xbox one, a couple of feet away from my PC, never downloads these huge updates any faster than ~70 MB/s.

I queried this with VM numerous times and they've said the xbox one network always reports slower speeds.

Just seems really weird.

As said it will be down to the MS Xbox network being busy rather than your end.

Soldato
I can get 162mbps on my iphone 6, but it doesn't always get that, now as an example it's only getting 65... I've not tested it until now since I got my upgrade to 200 but it should be possible on wireless devices..

Speed test on a wired device, wifi is a convenience for tablets/phones/low bandwidth devices etc. it's not a reliable connection type to establish actual line speed on.

Associate
I signed up and was up and running last weekend, I still haven't heard about my £50 voucher yet...How long does it normally take?

Have any of you claimed a voucher from VM, I may be being a bit dim but I can't see how to claim it.

Currently having a web chat with VM but it seems there is no Voucher...How very odd.
I don't have confirmation either, just a screenshot of my order which shows "£50 voucher"
but the order doesn't have my customer specific details on so VM are saying there is no proof.

Last edited:
Associate
Finally got my upgrade too:
5015803013.png

Currently on:
XL TV
Talk Weekends
200MB

66.99 per month

This is exactly what I have although when running a speedtest on my pc yesterday and today i am only getting 90-100 down, i was looking through possible problems and it may be that im using really old ethernet cables that could possibly be cat 5? ive got the superhub ac2, would it be a good idea to just get some new cat 5e or cat6 cables and run them from the hub to the PC and run the speedtest over again as the cable could be whats limiting my connection?

Associate
well sorry that i wrote that to annoy you.. you knew what i was referring to though ok..

so i think it may be using cat 5 'network cables..' should I just upgrade these to 5e or 6 and with my superhub ac2 this should atleast show better speeds if it is the network cable causing the problem right?

Man of Honour
It doesn't annoy me, people just don't know the difference.

How old is the cable? It could be that the adapter on the machine you're using is only 100Mbit.

Associate
erm couldn't be exact with you tbh as its a cable ive ran from my livingroom to my bedroom for a long long long time maybe over 10+ years tbh so chances are its an old cable, ive just built the machine about 5 months back two seconds ill go on the mobo specs and check it out firstly!

Associate
its a Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 7 motherboard with a..
Qualcomm® Atheros Killer E2201 LAN chip (10/100/1000 Mbit)

that should be good enough right?

Soldato
Grab a suitable length 5e cable, generally avoid Copper Clad Aluminium (CCA) and try it, if it sync's at gigabit then it's a cable issue, if it doesn't then check the LAN adapter properties, i've had an NIC that was overly picky previously and had to be forced to gigabit via the driver settings but its very unusual.

Associate
after checking on my comp in the local area connection, then looking at the speed, the cable seems to be fine so must be a 5e already as its got 1.0Gbps or whatever it should be written in the speed section where i initially thought it would display 100 so it seems the cable isn't the problem, but once again last night it was only getting about 88-92 down

Back
Top Bottom