Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Paying for 200Mbps, still getting between 2-4Mbps after 6pm.

Typical blasé post from a VM rep on their forums says it's due to high peak time traffic in my area and they'll review this by November 2016.

Dropping these cowboys as soon as my 12 months is up.

How long have you had these problems? They saw on their system that my area has had problems for the past 6 months, so they have waived the cancellation fee completely for the internet.

Since I went back to them in March. With hindsight I should have cancelled in the 14 day cooling-off period.
If your internet is as bad as you say you have 2 choices; you can cancel but you just have to persistent and get to the right people or you can get a refund every month that your internet is not working as it should. A couple years ago when I had over utilisation in my area I got a £20 refund each month for 9 months until it was sorted.

So VM are the only fibre provider where I am moving to and the service is good apparently. The exchange is on a military camp and there are no plans to upgrade it any time soon.

When I give VM a ring, what sort of haggling deal should I be aiming for? I don't want the TV, just the fibre and am looking at the Vivid 100 package.

Many thanks in advance.

If im on Virgin's 'VIVID 200 Optical Fibre' package should i be traffic managed?. I have a fair few videos im wanting to upload to YouTube, i usually get 2 done and then my connection speed seems to bottom out, if i check speedtest im only getting like 9meg download and about 2meg upload.

Is this right??, ive been trying to upload videos for the past 3 days but always give up after the first 2 as the speed just goes to crap!

If im on Virgin's 'VIVID 200 Optical Fibre' package should i be traffic managed?. I have a fair few videos im wanting to upload to YouTube, i usually get 2 done and then my connection speed seems to bottom out, if i check speedtest im only getting like 9meg download and about 2meg upload.

Is this right??, ive been trying to upload videos for the past 3 days but always give up after the first 2 as the speed just goes to crap!

Yes you will be traffic managed on the Vivid200 package.

https://my.virginmedia.com/traffic-management/traffic-management-policy-thresholds.html

Guys,

Moved into new home today. Previous owners were on VM and they are the dominant provider in my area. Expecting delivery of my equipment tomorrow which should according to the chap on the phone - "plug and play".

If I wanted to use my Asus RT AC66U router is there anything special I need to do or should I just stick with their Superhub?

Guys,

Moved into new home today. Previous owners were on VM and they are the dominant provider in my area. Expecting delivery of my equipment tomorrow which should according to the chap on the phone - "plug and play".

If I wanted to use my Asus RT AC66U router is there anything special I need to do or should I just stick with their Superhub?

The Asus will be better. You need to plug in the superhub (if it's a self install, yoiu'll have to phone up and get it provisioned onto the network). Log into the superhub and set it to modem-mode. Plug your Asus router into port 1 on the superhub, yoiur PC into the Asus, reboot everything and you'll be done. Just be aware of the IP addresses of your router/superhub so you can log in correctly. Subnets will likely be different between the two.

After still getting slower speeds in a evening Virgin sent a engineer out and he found no fault with my gear (no surprise there it's just over a week old) He's given me a fault code that they will review on the 7th September, after speaking to Tech Supp to get the credit on my account it's just down to over utilization in my area in peak times.

Hopefully I get closer to full speed once we get around to this date, checking only I should be able to get 300mb between Nov and Jan this year.

The Asus will be better. You need to plug in the superhub (if it's a self install, yoiu'll have to phone up and get it provisioned onto the network). Log into the superhub and set it to modem-mode. Plug your Asus router into port 1 on the superhub, yoiur PC into the Asus, reboot everything and you'll be done. Just be aware of the IP addresses of your router/superhub so you can log in correctly. Subnets will likely be different between the two.

Thanks for this. Superhub setup and all working. Did a quick speed test and got 120+. Will put in modem mode and setup my Asus tomorrow.

Any port on router to port 1 on Superhub?

Thanks for this. Superhub setup and all working. Did a quick speed test and got 120+. Will put in modem mode and setup my Asus tomorrow.

Any port on router to port 1 on Superhub?

No, there will be a modem port on the Asus that you connect to first port on the superhub. It'll be labelled or coloured differently.

i am having serious issues with csgo on virgin media to the point its useless playing the damn game, my ping is around 30-40 but the hit reg is lol worthy at best.

i am connected via cat 5 on 200mb vivid , anyone have any ideas what is causing this?

thanks,

I haven't even noticed any slow down with my 50mb connection on virgin media of course.

My useage meter says i do around 1tb per month mostly thanks to downloading games off steam but i think it isn't accurate and get full speed when i do a speed test from time to time or when i download i get 6.5-7 megabytes per second.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom