Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
Ah interesting, I didn't notice it being posted before but that explains that then. I wonder how long before we get the firmware update :/

Just look at how ridiculous this looks:

5d935301a2d8dcf521bee4de7c7caf03-10-12-2016_2.png

Are these problems with just 200mb gamer or the 200 standard package as well?

I was going to get the standard package (200) with a hub3.:(

Soldato

I think this is the best speeds ive ever seen,its usually around the 180-190 mark. :)

Some really good deals on for new customers at the moment. 50mb on it's own for £18pm, player bundle for £20pm, full house bundle for £55pm etc.
Problem is,Give it a few months they will bump up the price..then continue to keep on bumping up the price until you have to phone them and haggle again...always the same with VM.

Last edited:
Associate
NE32 area (02).

I've had Hub 3.0 for 2 weeks now on 150mb. This was on wifi this morning. On Hub 2 with 100mb, wifi signal didn't even reach 8 feet in a straight line without any objects in the way.

VM don't seem to email me about 'free' speed increases anymore. I only saw this when I logged in online to create a new email address. Previously they used to boast about forthcoming speed increases all of the time. One was 18 months late, the next 8-9 months late.

5868646888.png

Soldato
Tried to get a retention's deal out of Virgin, not happening at all, all they want to discuss is putting us on a higher costing package. Tried to get a new box out of them as our TIVO box is dog slow and they want to pay us £100 for the privilege. I think I'm just going to let it run and sign up as a broadband only customer in the missus' name.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
The Hub3 was replaced with a Superhub 2 AC

I use them in modem mode so suffered the port flapping issue with the 3 as well

Is that on the Gamer package?

I just got off the phone to VM to complain about the latency issue and request a discount on my account until this is fixed. The guy was adamant that the issue is due to works going on to upgrade my area (code 20) due to utilisation.

I think he was not understanding and confusing the speed issues with heavy area utilisation as opposed to the Puma modem latency issue.

Nevertheless, he said he's sent a request to billing to apply a 50% discount to my account until the issue is fixed, so I'll see if they keep their word on this. We know that upgrade works for over-utilisation won't fix the latency issue, so for as long as it goes on and a firmware update isn't issued, I'm expecting my package to be £20something a month.

At least I now know they are currently working on resolving the utilisation issue that's quite evident in my latency graph above. So That's one of two issues that will be fixed soon I guess.

Last edited:
Soldato
How do I test the latency ? I'm on the gamer package with Superhub 3.0 (Black one) and it all seems to work ok I have not noticed any issues online. Like to check though...

Soldato
Can't say I have had any issues with mine. Pings always low and both PS4 and Xbox work perfect online.....

Will be intersting to see what the graph looks like.

Do people notice issues when gaming ?

Last edited:

BuZ

BuZ

Associate
Looking through the most recent pages of this thread (462, 463, 464), I see people chatting/commenting about the new Hub 3 being extremely unstable and also very awful to deal with in terms of general usage and heavy usage, I had similar problems with the Superhub 2AC (which I got free of charge when getting my 50 to 70Mbps upgrade in October 2015).

Firstly, I had a problem with my ping time / latency time fluctuating, which was very minuscule, but me being the tech-savvy guy that I am, I couldn't help but notice it.

Basically when playing Call of Duty on PS3, XBOX 360, XBOX One and even a game such as Counter Strike on PC or something, I would continuously get lag spikes of up to 300ms+ for no specific reason at all. Because of how I set all my network up, I usually get host on games like Call of Duty on both PS3 and XBOX 360, which proves my connection is decent! However at intervals during the game when checking my connection and/or stats in game, everyone else would sometimes drop down to a red bar as a result of my connection being host due to the lag spikes. Also one more thing, sometimes (but not all the time) I would get host booted from a match while being host for no reason at all, other than the lag spikes and my generally bad ping/latency times due to the Superhub 2AC. It bugged me so badly, to the point where I tried it in modem mode and I started having really serious issues with double NAT (I will discuss this below).

Secondly, I had a problem with STRICT NAT type on XBOX One (which happened on both router mode and modem mode) and I tried the following things to solve it:

• Tweaking and tampering with the firewall settings
  • Disabling the firewall completely
  • Assigning all gaming consoles in my house to the static IP address table
  • Taking use of DMZ (which my PS3's static IP address was initially assigned to), so I switched the DMZ IP address around to the XBOX One's static IP address)
  • Port Forwarding and Port Triggering, etc. (I shouldn't need to do this, if the firewall is fully disabled anyways, however I went ahead and tried it - however I got no luck from it in return).

No matter whether I used normal router mode or modem mode on the Superhub 2AC, the XBOX One would still end up with a damn STRICT NAT type. And also before anyone says "did you try using the XBOX One plugged directly into the Superhub 2AC via an Ethernet cable?" - the answer is yes, I tried using a CAT5e based Ethernet cable when the Superhub 2AC was in router mode and also when it was in modem mode (I tried plugging it directly into the modem, excluding any router in-between the XBOX and the modem, which by my knowledge should theoretically automatically set your NAT type to OPEN, thus unlocking/unblocking all ports).

Luckily, since when my 70Mbps upgrade came along I opted for self-installation, which means I didn't get my Superhub 1 taken away from me by an engineer/technician, so I phoned VM up and asked them if I could switch back over to my Superhub 1 and they did it for me with no other questions asked. I know the wireless sucks on the Superhub 1, but I now know the modem in the Superhub 1 is a lot more stable than the modem in the Superhub 2AC. I have a few problems with NAT types every now and again, but that's only when I have more than 2 or 3 gaming consoles connecting to the internet at the same time (I have 2 XBOX 360's, 1 PS3 and 1 XBOX One in my house), which is highly understandable.

Last edited:

BuZ

BuZ

Associate
And yet you failed to see the bit where VM have admitted there is a problem with the H3.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/12/03/intel_puma_chipset_firmware_fix/

I did see it, lol. :p I was just very tired and half asleep, haha. Sorry for that. :o :D :eek:

I'm lucky I still have the Superhub 1 (which is hands down the best and most stable modem/router combination hub in my opinion, apart from the wireless. -_- ). I'd be quite literally tearing my hair out if I had to take use of the Hub 3.

SMN

SMN

Soldato
Lost my broadband connection a day or so ago here in Reading, still not up :( I genuinely regret moving to VM from Sky, the reliability is appalling.

Back
Top Bottom