Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
This isn't looking good:
2qxaxzr.png

thats due to the hub 3 though

Permabanned
Ive just ordered the vivid 200 gamer pack, I take it that might have been a bad move looking at that report on the sh3? Only problem is there isnt much of a alternative to virgin fibre where I live...
I had the issue from April this year so I've got a little experience. It depends what firmware your SH3 ships with, if it's xxx116v or later then you'll be ok. Your TBM won't look too good with high latency spikes but your internet won't drop out every 2048 secs (~34mins).

BuZ

BuZ

Associate
Anyone who lives in Area Reference 20 or close to Manchester (or even other parts of the UK) having problems/issues with speedtest.net lately? Using Chrome? (or even any other web browser at that, such as Firefox, Safari, Opera, etc?)

The ping test before the actual speedtest takes ages to start which is odd because it usually takes no more than a second or two to start (usually one second or less). I mean the interface loads up a little slower than average/usual with the ping test followed by the download test and then the upload test.

However it sticks around on the ping test for about 10 - 15 seconds or slightly more (up to 20 seconds sometimes), with the ping test bar staying blank and not filling up from left to right. After up to 20 seconds, it finally decides to kick in the ping test and then gives me a result of 30 - 40ms, instead of my usual 7ms or 8ms, which is to the Manchester server (Hosted by TNP Limited), and this server is the best server (in terms of stability and general results) within a 50 mile radius of me.

I'm also having a minor issue with my download speed and upload speed both being a little jumpy (the test shows a jagged spiked line chart and not a smooth line chart), so I am really confused right now to what is actually happening with my connection, which is normally stable. Also my download and upload speed both keep fluctuating, too.

Soldato
To answer your question - i posted something similar in the virgin community forums, one week ago, and got a reply today.

She said that although over utilisation/capacity problems can affect areas, it is dependent on the 'cable' that provides service to your street from the green cabinet.

So in my example - nobody is using the 'cable' in my street - we are only 4 houses, and my house previously had an install many years ago but it is not active now. She also knew from their database that this cable only provides a service for the 4 houses on my street and for nowhere else, so i don't think she was chatting BS as she had a clear layout of the road.

She was able to check on the next street that the 'cable' there was at 70 percent capacity. She also said most people are finding problems with 90+% capacity issues.

Anyway i thought it was quite useful; i dont know if anybody else has any thoughts on this but its worth posting on there.

On a side note, are there any VM deals at the moment?

They're not going to say "Oh yes that area is totally bunged up and your service will be rubbish".

So had my Gamer 200 package enabled/installed today.

On usenet downloading at 25-26 MB / sec during peak hours. Was she telling the truth after all? time will tell

Soldato
Just got the gamer 200 package installed yesterday and so far I am pretty happy with it. The speed is insane and it works a lot better than my old Sky broadband. I did some Twitch streaming straight after it was installed to make sure it worked properly for that (Twitch streaming was the main reason I switched broadband packages) and it worked flawlessly.

I'll do some more testing this morning but thankfully it looks like I've finally got some reliable internet with decent speed that can handle all that I throw at it.

Soldato
Area 20 - Brighton, SH2 200mbps in router mode:

50d8c8dceedefe421a8bd12246ff1223.png

How do these "areas" work then because I dont understand how stockport and Brighton can both be in the same area, is it just a logical separation?

Last edited:
Soldato
Seeing as this thread exists and is current... Just switched to 100mbit VM yesterday, and it's generally running really well - nearer 106 if the speed test is to be believed :)

But... VM sent me an email saying "we're sorry you decided not to join us". Anyone else had this happen? Has their system just got confused and sent me the wrong thing? Account is all set up, direct debit etc...

Soldato
Area 20 - Brighton, SH2 200mbps in router mode:

50d8c8dceedefe421a8bd12246ff1223.png

How do these "areas" work then because I dont understand how stockport and Brighton can both be in the same area, is it just a logical separation?

The area number is just a geographical reference. Loads of towns/cities can be under it.

On another note, got my VM package installed today!

5885357795.png

:D

Soldato
The area number is just a geographical reference. Loads of towns/cities can be under it.

Lol... a geographical reference suggests its related to an area, Stockport and Brighton are quite a distance apart, I would expect them to be entirely different geographical references given the distance.

Soldato
Lol... a geographical reference suggests its related to an area, Stockport and Brighton are quite a distance apart, I would expect them to be entirely different geographical references given the distance.

Sorry, I wrote that as I was saying the word to someone else. I meant it's a commercial billing code.

Associate
Having big issues in Stoke this evening. Struggling to get above 2MB/s in any downloads and speedtest.net shows problems whenever I choose a server that isn't on the virgin media network.

Pings to google also coming back anywhere between 30ms and 700ms.

Anybody else having problems?

Associate
Having big issues in Stoke this evening. Struggling to get above 2MB/s in any downloads and speedtest.net shows problems whenever I choose a server that isn't on the virgin media network.

Pings to google also coming back anywhere between 30ms and 700ms.

Anybody else having problems?
I had similar problems earlier in Rugeley, Staffordshire. It seems to have returned to normal now.

Back
Top Bottom