Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Associate
I read the FUP policy yesterday and they will throttle anyone in peek times using over a certain amount for 24 hours. If it continues it then becomes 36 hours and so on. It stops when the user stops heavy activity in peek times. Im sure it was said 8pm - 11pm.

Soldato
From all the horror stories im seeing its putting me off VM. I was going to get the Vivd gamer 200 service with no traffic management. I would have assumed my area wasn't that over serviced or lack of capacity but i guess no way of knowing.

Man of Honour
From all the horror stories im seeing its putting me off VM. I was going to get the Vivd gamer 200 service with no traffic management. I would have assumed my area wasn't that over serviced or lack of capacity but i guess no way of knowing.
Search your postcode on the VM forums, that's about the only way.

Someone should knock up a website so people can check.

Caporegime
Still loving my gamer 200 package (actually get 220MB) and combined with the asus ac68u router and SH 2ac, latency is a lot better and even when the latency on the TBB graph is bad/high from maxing out the download/streaming etc., the internet for browsing etc. is still very fast, with just the super hub 2ac and 3, if you were maxing the connection out, web browsing wasn't great.

Last edited:
Soldato
Search your postcode on the VM forums, that's about the only way.

Someone should knock up a website so people can check.
i did that but i saw a few issues in the "S6" area but it still doesn't help with if my property is going to be overpopulated. Id expect every post code id search for in sheffield will bring up people with issues. maybe more so in some areas than others. It's kinda annoying because if your paying for a upto 200Mb service and your getting 180ish most of the time dropping down to 150ish in peak times and you accept that then they overpopulate in your area then it drops down to around 150ish on average to 100 in peak times then your peed off because it's dropped due to VM. I wish Ofcom could step in provide a baseline as in if customer is getting x speed at start of service and few months later drops % of speed then the ISP needs to resolve the issue or customer is provided with a get out clause. Paying £45 for what was at first a decent service to a 100mb service is sucky cos you could have gone with some one else that offered FTTC at got consistent speeds.

Caporegime
I max my download out at about 24MB 90% of the time.

Personally I couldn't go to anything slower especially when games these days are getting to silly levels of 60+GB, it is nice being able to download stuff in minutes as opposed to having to leave the PC on overnight like I use to back on the <100MB connections.

Associate
i did that but i saw a few issues in the "S6" area but it still doesn't help with if my property is going to be overpopulated. Id expect every post code id search for in sheffield will bring up people with issues. maybe more so in some areas than others. It's kinda annoying because if your paying for a upto 200Mb service and your getting 180ish most of the time dropping down to 150ish in peak times and you accept that then they overpopulate in your area then it drops down to around 150ish on average to 100 in peak times then your peed off because it's dropped due to VM. I wish Ofcom could step in provide a baseline as in if customer is getting x speed at start of service and few months later drops % of speed then the ISP needs to resolve the issue or customer is provided with a get out clause. Paying £45 for what was at first a decent service to a 100mb service is sucky cos you could have gone with some one else that offered FTTC at got consistent speeds.

It's particularly relevant in over-subscribed areas because your connection can fall so far below the advertised speed it's a real cheat to call it a 200mb service - before I left VM a couple of months ago my 200mb service used to drop to 2-10Mb between 6pm and 12am each night but because of the OFCOM rules they still get to call it a 200mb service, and are busy lying to new customers about what they can expect.

I believe the OFCOM regs are changing though - hopefully they won't get away with this for much longer.

Soldato
I'm not in a a bad area thankfully but my latency and pings are dreadful.

6359629501.png

8774418d5e526b31f832a87b7e68e7a946aac27e-11-06-2017.png

Will this make me switch provider? **** no. I couldn't give a flying **** about pings and latency, as long as I can download the Internet and download it quickly then I'm happy.

Soldato
Much more likely that it's a lack of local capacity than deliberate throttling.

Kick-up a fuss and get a discount until they finally get around to fixing it.

With Virgin always suspect a lack of capacity before deliberate throttling unless you know you've been taking the ****!

Well it's definitely not lack of capacity according to the engineer who came out and the throttling is now from 9AM to 11PM, I'll give them 1 more phone call and if they don't sort it I'm taking my £40 a month elsewhere.

Meant to be on a 150Mbps line and this has been my speed for the last 3 weeks from 9AM to 11PM.

6369221789.png

Associate
Well I've still not done the switch to VIVID 300; the new hub 3 that they posted to me is sat in the box at the moment.

Is the overall consensus that the Hub 3 is garbage and should be avoided if I want to play games online? Or is it hit and miss?

Does anybody here have 200 Gamer? If so, can you use the existing 2ac hub, rather than the new Hub 3? Or do both 200 Gamer and 300 require Hub 3?

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
Well I've still not done the switch to VIVID 300; the new hub 3 that they posted to me is sat in the box at the moment.

Is the overall consensus that the Hub 3 is garbage and should be avoided if I want to play games online? Or is it hit and miss?
I have had the hub 3 now for two months on the 150 mb package and have only found it a now and again issue when gaming a few rubber band issues not much .i can live with it may be different if your a hi end gamer and always need the perfect ping connection.overall yes there is a firmware issue with the hub 3 .Also they have just finished the so called upgrade to s70 barnsley/rotherham area14.Befor this i had speeds like Dicehunter the post above yours for over six months.

Back
Top Bottom