Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Associate
I have had the hub 3 now for two months on the 150 mb package and have only found it a now and again issue when gaming a few rubber band issues not much .i can live with it may be different if your a hi end gamer and always need the perfect ping connection.overall yes there is a firmware issue with the hub 3 .Also they have just finished the so called upgrade to s70 barnsley/rotherham area14.Befor this i had speeds like Dicehunter the post above yours for over six months.

Thanks acake. While I'm certainly no pro gamer, I wouldn't want to have the lagging or rubberbanding happening often... certainly not more than a handfull of occasions.

It appears my account has technically been upgraded to VIVID 300, despite not yet calling to activate the new Hub 3.0. So unfortunately I think I'm in the position I was trying not to get into, of potentially having to downgrade my account and all the phone calls that go with it. I guess I have nothing to loose by plugging in the new hub and seeing how I get on...

Soldato
Does anybody here have 200 Gamer? If so, can you use the existing 2ac hub, rather than the new Hub 3? Or do both 200 Gamer and 300 require Hub 3?
yes - it defo works. I used it until they forced me onto the SH3 - they were adamant it happens so hey ho.

Not had any problems with my connection - usenet downloads full whack at 220Mb/s and upload is 19.5 average which is fair enough.

I actually very much dislike BB via telephone lines. Every year I had to jump through hoops to get the line 're-tightened' from the pole on the end of the street back to my house. Was a right PITA especially dealing with BT openreach. Virgin just works

Associate
yes - it defo works. I used it until they forced me onto the SH3 - they were adamant it happens so hey ho.

Not had any problems with my connection - usenet downloads full whack at 220Mb/s and upload is 19.5 average which is fair enough.

I actually very much dislike BB via telephone lines. Every year I had to jump through hoops to get the line 're-tightened' from the pole on the end of the street back to my house. Was a right PITA especially dealing with BT openreach. Virgin just works

Thanks. I'll keep hold of my 2ac for as long as I can in that case.

Do you play games online with your connection?

Soldato
Thanks. I'll keep hold of my 2ac for as long as I can in that case.

Do you play games online with your connection?

Used to play a lot - on PC, PS4 and XBONE.

Unfortunately just not had the time of late due to RL, so not had time to test this new connection properly (I also don't have a wired PC anymore to test reliably from).

From what I've had so far speed ramps up fine, and ping is relatively low (sub 20ms) so am happy with that.

On the plus side my son hasn't complained but then again theres only so much Plants V's Zombies will show lol

Soldato
I read the FUP policy yesterday and they will throttle anyone in peek times using over a certain amount for 24 hours. If it continues it then becomes 36 hours and so on. It stops when the user stops heavy activity in peek times. Im sure it was said 8pm - 11pm.
thats only on the upload.

Our new policy is simple:

• We only restrict upload speed
  • Your speed is only reduced while the upload threshold is exceeded. So the speed reduction could only last as little as an hour as long as you reduce your uploads

https://my.virginmedia.com/traffic-management/traffic-management-policy-30Mb-or-higher.html

Soldato
Well that's put me off VM now. I would have loved fast speeds over thier new fibre network but all the complains on facebook and here just makes me feel like it could be hit or miss tbh. I want low latency and pings. I can live with a 80Mbit connection tbh. Ive lived with a 40Mb so 80 is fine. Going to look at some guys housed in the same building as plusnet called PineMedia. They offer FTTP and also something called AirFibre and it's being received really well from all the people ive asked on social media.

Soldato
Well that's put me off VM now. I would have loved fast speeds over thier new fibre network but all the complains on facebook and here just makes me feel like it could be hit or miss tbh. I want low latency and pings. I can live with a 80Mbit connection tbh. Ive lived with a 40Mb so 80 is fine. Going to look at some guys housed in the same building as plusnet called PineMedia. They offer FTTP and also something called AirFibre and it's being received really well from all the people ive asked on social media.

I don't see what the whole "ping" issue is. Anything below 30ms is perfectly fine in todays gaming.

I with VM, get an average ping of around 18-21ms and have no issues.

Caporegime
Superhub 3 is awful for latency/gaming:

VABwVCJ.png

Red line is when I rang to re-activate the SH 2 AC and this is just the SH 2AC:

ur2W8WW.png

I highly recommend getting a decent 3rd party router and pairing it with the SH 2AC if you can though:

9cntPwv.png

S2WsbJa.png

The big spikes are when downloading/uploading.

Some speed tests throughout the day:

aN9sck1.png

The 145MB reading was when I was maxing out my download on a torrent.

Soldato
My latency currently is much better than what i am seeing with VM fibre. Granted higher speeds but it seems with VM overpopulating or better word over subscribing in a area means it puts a strain on the network which in essence increases latency. Yea i want to keep my ping sub 30 if i can and it always has been with TT on FTTC. I just dare not go with VM and find in peak times my service falls on its knees. Good for anyone who it doesn't but it seems to be a risk with VM.

Associate
Can confirm I'm also experiencing terrible latency spiking now that I've switched the the Hub 3 on VIVID 300.
I've not done any testing at all (currently living upside down after a house rewire, so systems aren't connected by ethernet yet)...

The real 'issue' for me here would definitely be online gaming. Granted, I don't have too much time for it these days, but when I do, it would be nice to not have to have a battle with my connection. We'll see...

Before (VIVID 200 w/ Superhub 2ac)
KfGoUs1

After (VIVID 300 w/ Superhub 3)
ezMgoz8

Soldato
FYI

Just went through complaints and they have activated my SH2 V1 (NON-AC!!) to the 200MB Gamer package.

Still get the 200/20 speeds according to think broadband tests.

Shall post my 48 hour pre & post graphs on Sunday.

To confirm: YOU CAN HAVE 200MB GAMER AND SH2 (NON-AC!)

Associate
Just got Virgin with the SH3 on Wednesday and, after using the wife's Sky connection for a year, it is great. Before I moved into the wife's pad, I had Virgin for three years and was very happy with it. Bear in mind that I don't game.

Reported speeds are 212mbps compared to 8mbps @8pm and pings are 8ms.

My relationship with Sky was at an all-time low as when I moved in, my wife had suffered with a poor phone line and next to no internet for years and they had done nothing about it. Checking the connections, the mouth-breathing installation chimp hadn't put a filter on the line and the splicing was amateur at best.

The wife phoned to say she wanted to have her Sky internet cancelled and they dropped her bill by a half and let her keep it.

Queer folk.

Associate
changing the subject, but please do remember to ring up and cancel every year when you are with Virgin. You get a call back with a better offer - I accepted there 200mbit/12mbit for £24/month its usually £37.25.
I wanted to go 300mbit but all the comments on the new superhub completely put me off.

Soldato
Some data now I've run both for 48 hours.

Average Pings (last 24 hours and last week, same time)

Code:
Hub - BBC [max] - Google [max] - VM Router [max] - Hub [max] - RT-N66U [max]
SH2 - 20.36 [34.77] - 14.32 [28.32] - 11.30 [26.97] - 0.94 [21.45] - 0.34 [11.66]
SH3 - 24.40 [103.36] - 22.70 [90.84] - 15.49 [78.36] - 3.54 [65.08] - 0.34 [8.32]

That is pretty damning...

If you want it in graph form:

Here is the SH2

sh2_bbc.png

sh2_google.png

sh2_vmrouter.png

sh2_modem.png

sh2_rtn66u.png

compare_bbc.png

compare_google.png

compare_vmrouter.png

compare_modem.png

compare_rtn66u.png

Sh3 not fit for purpose? I would say so!

Back
Top Bottom