Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Mobster
Soldato
I find it hard to believe you've found a router that doesn't have an option to enable ping. That can break several internet things. Even the cut-down-to-make-it-easy-to-support-and-hard-for-customers-to-mess-up Superhub can do it.

Indeed. I've never had a router that didn't have that feature.

Is the user sure there isn't an advanced menu they can go into?

Soldato
Air fibre is a little slower than fttp, but not by a huge amount.

Think 1-2ms for FTTP
Then 3-10ms for air fibre, depending on range and any potential interference.

My FTTP is still showing an incredibly stable connection:

Yea its slower than fttp. As its limited to what bandwith the radio receivers can transmit and line of sight etc. Seems they can transmit upto 750Mbps with the equipment they use. But it seems pinemedia offer 300mbps up and down on airfibre but you have to call thier sales team for that. Atm that's just as good as consumer fttp? 330/30 right?
They show that airfirbre should remain under 20ms and fttp under 25ms. Due to it requiring less hops to thier network via airfibre.
Eitherway it seem a easier less hassle way to introduce fttp on demand speeds. Offering same speeds currently availible and same latency.
They are using mimosa equipment too which seems like great hardware.

That looks like a brilliant connection btw. Im guessing your a gigabit connection though.

Permabanned
Depends on the provider... Gigaclear do full 1gbit/1gbit for a lot less than BT charge for 330/30
BT have announced plans to offer 0.5 & 1gbit down fttp services soon, but I think the up is still less. It's also absurdly expensive (ie, might aswell just get a standard leased line with free installation)
Hyperoptic is borderline FTTP... they cable into the basement of a block of flats and then run ethernet to each flat and also offer a 1gbit/1gbit service for a little bit less than gigaclear

Gigaclear & Hyperoptic aren't widely available though, BT FTTP is at least a bit easier to get, even if pricey.

Soldato
Okay the more u read upon the vivid gamer 200 it seems great. No traffic management at all. People getting over 200mbps speeds and 20 or slightly over 20 upload. And good pings.
At peak times it appears worst speeds you would expect is around 150mbps down while upload is non affected. Pings seen good but this seems to be when people are using sh3 in modem mode and using another router. Im kinda swayed now if i should go with virgin. My mates have been with virgin for ages and swear by them. Just i guess the horror stories putting me off. I guess vivid gamer 200 is by far better than most isp fttc upto 76mbps service with upto 20 upload.

Associate
I think some of u guys need to realise or understand that I have a problem and was asking for help

Im not rolling in cash at all and being a single father of 6 I went for what I read and believed was the best possible router the the money I had available.

Unfortunately that was not the case however, myself aside, everyone in the house has benefited from the router bar me.

Thing is intruded to diagnose the problem and to an extent I was ridiculed for my lack of knowledge. I accept that as everyone seeks to know more than me, however the fact this is q forum was what made me ask for advice.

Anyway apologies for anyone I offended thru my lack if knowledge. Note to oneself tho do not post in here unless smarter than everyone else

Soldato
my connection is up and down at the moment, lose connection for no reason and eventually it comes back on, been doing it all week after being solid for two years. Makes me wonder if its something to do with the heat.

also the last two nights its gone down at 8 o'clock exactly and a reboot resolved it. Weird.

Soldato
I'm sorry you feel that way, but I had answered your query already, I even went out of my way to read the manual for you, but you asked it again.

Without having the router in front of me, there's no way to know for sure but it seems like you don't have the required feature in this router, I suggest you return it for a different model.

Associate
I'm sorry you feel that way, but I had answered your query already, I even went out of my way to read the manual for you, but you asked it again.

Without having the router in front of me, there's no way to know for sure but it seems like you don't have the required feature in this router, I suggest you return it for a different model.
yes mate i wasnt having a go just more a plea for help, esp considering the money spent and friends complaining they cannot play with me onine

Soldato
I also went through the manual and there's no setting. From their support forums, D-link say it ICMP should be enabled by default (it doesn't seem to be), and there's no setting to change it. It looks like a bug in their firmware that they should fix, as not having a setting is a big oversight. Defaulting to on (and not working) is pretty bad on a premium router.

Associate
Then don't buy one!!!
bit late when you already have one.

however your attitude and response there is of no help whatsoever. i mean we could all adopt that attitude in everyday life. however that gets us nowhere.

i asked for help you ridicule me, go you yay. im guessing you feel good about yourself ripping the proverbial out of someone who is inexperienced and does not know what they are doing.. yay go you.

still perhaps one of these days you may share your vast knowledge and actually help a n00b on the forum with your vast experiance, after all i know its totally possible however i do not and will not pay the cash for someone to do so

Soldato
Pings seen good but this seems to be when people are using sh3 in modem mode and using another router

Where the hell has this myth come from??????? I blame white van brofessors and pubbro :rolleyes:

The Puma hardware is fundamentally flawed it does not matter whether the SH3 is in modem mode or not as the Puma hardware is still active which is the thing that has the fault. If you have an SH3 you have latency spikes regardless of what mode you are running in.

Back
Top Bottom