Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
I used the windows app. I connected directly to the hub 4 in router mode after a hard reset and am now getting 900mbs. Connected my router and put it back in modem mode and am still getting 900mbs. If the Asus router router is rubbish what do you recommend instead for gaming and streaming? I should also add virgin has only just been installed in my area and I’m the first customer. Would there be some kind of line training?

I'm happy you got it working. :) As for the Asus, no point throwing money away. Flash the firmware to Merlin Firmware, which is open source, looks like the original Asus firmware, keeps all the original features, but adds in tons of useful features, speed tweaks, and - most importantly - actually ships security patches! Make sure you download the correct version for your router, it's clearly labelled on the site which is the latest stable, and in your router's case it's THIS file. Have fun.

Edit: Oh, and no - there's no such thing as line training on VM (or any other DOCSIS/cable company). You got a screwy config or something corrupted on the Hub which was fixed by the forced reset. All's well that ends well.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm happy you got it working. :) As for the Asus, no point throwing money away. Flash the firmware to Merlin Firmware, which is open source, looks like the original Asus firmware, keeps all the original features, but adds in tons of useful features, speed tweaks, and - most importantly - actually ships security patches! Make sure you download the correct version for your router, it's clearly labelled on the site which is the latest stable, and in your router's case it's THIS file. Have fun.

Edit: Oh, and no - there's no such thing as line training on VM (or any other DOCSIS/cable company). You got a screwy config or something corrupted on the Hub which was fixed by the forced reset. All's well that ends well.
Ok great stuff will install when I get home. Love to tinker. Thanks for your help.

Soldato
Nah to be fair i've never had a problem with virgin just their price rises after the introductory period takes the ****. Apparently they have sent me another hub aswell goodness knows which one i guess i'll find out when i get back from work in a week

That's not how VM billing works. In simple terms and excluding annual price rises, the price is - for example - £80/m, as an introductory offer, they knock it down to £50/m, your bill shows you are charged £80/m and have a £30 discount applied. When the promotional discount ends, you are still billed £80/m, if that's the current retail price is for a customer on a rolling 30 day contract. If you don't want to pay the 30 day rolling contract rate, commit to another contract and pay less, it's generally the same with a lot of TV/TEL/Broadband/mobile providers.

Associate
Virgin are proving to be every bit as incompetent as people say they are. We placed our order mid-December and 3.5 months later we are no further forward despite 4 x engineer visits:

Visit 1: Identifies that the trunking under the street is blocked and will require a council permit to dig up in front of the neighbour's drive to clear the blockage;
Visit 2: Just checking that visit 1 was telling the truth!

2 months later and a council permit is in place. No-one told us this - I only found out by keeping an eye on the council tracker myself.

Visit 3: An engineer turns up a day after the council permit start date when, typically, there was no-one home (which is quite rare these days). We only know someone was there because the ducting that our BT cable comes out of has been "ruffled". The permit wasn't used and the street was not dug up. A day later, someone from the council turns up to "check" the quality of the work carried out. Nothing to check.

Again, zero comms from Virgin but their tracker stated we were due a visit for the external install today (1st April).

Visit 4: Turns up a day early. This was the same engineer as visit 1 who stated that the duct was blocked (we already know this!). Apparently Visit 3 had decided there would be a route down the other side of the street through someone else's ducting, which is definitely not an option.

So, 3.5 months later and we are basically back to the same stage we were after the first visit because the person at visit 3 didn't make use of the permit that was in place. The internal work is currently booked for next Friday (8th) but there is no way I can see that happening now. Useless!!

Soldato
Not good, my install was heading in a similar vain and after speaking to my sister who works at VM within the TV business things happened. I'm not planning on staying a day past the 18 months, I joined in Jan/Feb and already not planning on renewing.

Soldato
Finally getting Gigabit ethernet here. Going for the Volt deal up from the 350 package.

At the moment we're using the Superhub 3 (Getting the hub 4 although there's a hub 5 now?) and an Asus AX82U as the router.

How would I go about making the Asus the modem AND router so I don't need 2 pieces of equipment? For as long as I can remember I've always had one modem and one router, but it's less equipment and less clutter at the end of the day to use only the one.

Also I'm using a CAT 5E cable, will I need to change to CAT 6? I have never really fiddled around with this stuff and just left it as it works.

Permabanned
Finally getting Gigabit ethernet here. Going for the Volt deal up from the 350 package.

At the moment we're using the Superhub 3 (Getting the hub 4 although there's a hub 5 now?) and an Asus AX82U as the router.

How would I go about making the Asus the modem AND router so I don't need 2 pieces of equipment? For as long as I can remember I've always had one modem and one router, but it's less equipment and less clutter at the end of the day to use only the one.

Also I'm using a CAT 5E cable, will I need to change to CAT 6? I have never really fiddled around with this stuff and just left it as it works.

You can't it's either just use the virgin hub or use virgin hub in modem mode and Asus for WiFi.

I actually just use the hub 4 at the moment, it's not been too bad but half my usage is wired.

No you don't need cat 6, 5e will be fine.

Soldato

What are you paying ?
I've switched to Vodafone but im still in contract with virgin 350 for a bit.

Soldato
@2013 Bit complicated tbh, my stepdad recently passed away from health issues and he was paying it, so we're (me and mum) switching over as a new customer.

Currently is £103 for 350M, TV and mobiles. New package will be £85 for a fair few months.

I'm not 100% sure whats happening with the takeover from the old bills and when he paid but its getting sorted out.

Edit: That's including the new 02 sim, and Netflix is included so that's one bill less as he was paying for Netflix before.

Associate
Just rung retentions, they were going to put my bill up from £24 a month to £45 a month for fibre M100.

When I mentioned I wanted to leave they immediately offered me M200 for £31 a month (18 months ) which I gladly accepted, but after reading this forum I maybe should have haggled more?

Saying that, I’m happy with virgin I have received good service and it’s reliable.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Just rung retentions, they were going to put my bill up from £24 a month to £45 a month for fibre M100.

When I mentioned I wanted to leave they immediately offered me M200 for £31 a month (18 months ) which I gladly accepted, but after reading this forum I maybe should have haggled more?

Saying that, I’m happy with virgin I have received good service and it’s reliable.
Yep. I was offered that for £25 and then with volt I now get M350. Some have got it even cheaper I think.

Man of Honour
Yep. I was offered that for £25 and then with volt I now get M350. Some have got it even cheaper I think.
I had agreed £27-28 or something like that with them a couple of months ago for M200 18 months but they're billing me just £24 a month for some reason until next August :D Then swapped Three for O2 to boost to 350. I didn't have to pretend to cancel to get that, just went through retentions and said something along the lines of I couldn't afford the new rate. I find that works better than moaning/comparing to other providers etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well 17 months of trouble free service and still no prospect of fibre on the horizon :(

Currently paying £51.99 for BB/TV/Tel/SIM, literally other than the day of install, the broadband is the only service that's used. New customer price is for triple play M500/TV/talk is £47.99 vs a M500 solos package at £43, I have an O2 SIM giving VOLT/Gig1, so ignoring the additional cost of that for a moment - I would have it regardless - it's £110 cash back via Quidco for Broadband only and £140 for TV/Tel/BB, so after cash back that's £40.21 for triple play vs £36.88 solos, or £3.33 extra for TV/phone. Going from quad play to broadband only saves £161.82/yr just at headline figures, throw in the £110 cash back and I can see me having to cancel/re-take services in wife's name, and move her SIM to 02 for Volt, but a self install can be done the same day the service is booked to disconnect, so no big deal.

How I miss the days of paying £1/m for everything inc movies/sports on the staff package :D

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I had agreed £27-28 or something like that with them a couple of months ago for M200 18 months but they're billing me just £24 a month until next August :D Then swapped Three for O2 to boost to 350. I didn't have to pretend to cancel to get that, just went through retentions and said something along the lines of I couldn't afford the new rate. I find that works better than moaning/comparing to other providers etc.
Agreed. That is the best way. Good reason to with all the prices hikes lately anyways. I still have over a year on my contract. I am hoping I get fibre to home by then that way I can have a plan in place and push even harder. I mean I know they are not the best but if I can get it a fiver a month cheaper my connection is good enough. For example if they can offer me what I have now for £20 or bump me up to the next higher package at the same price then I would be happy to lock in another 18 months :D

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom