Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Caporegime
Make sure you get your compensation, if you had an email saying they *will* be installing today then you're owed money each day until they manage to get you live

Soldato
I was all excited for my new connection today....then it all went wrong.

My house (moved in few days ago) is on their records as previously having Virgin. There is a virgin port/coax splitter on the wall in my living room.

Unfortunatly somebody has cut the cable outside the wall and pulled it quite far back, and removed it. There is no evidence of the cable anywhere and i'll be honestly I didn't even check as I saw the port in the living room so assumed it was all good.

Install didn't happen. There now has to be a 2 man team to lay a new cable from the cabinet to my house.

I am gutted.

He rang his manager and they're thinking it might be pulled for middle of next week.

Can you see the cable coming out of the ground by your property? i.e. There is more than a few inches above ground? I would think even a slight amount showing would be enough for them to not need to re-pull, as they can just re-terminate a new coax connector and then extend it a little bit to the wall where they can put a new outside splitter inside the weather proof box?

Soldato
Can you see the cable coming out of the ground by your property? i.e. There is more than a few inches above ground? I would think even a slight amount showing would be enough for them to not need to re-pull, as they can just re-terminate a new coax connector and then extend it a little bit to the wall where they can put a new outside splitter inside the weather proof box?
Nope thats the cable that has gone ...missing? Neither the engineer or myself could find where the cable might have come out the ground.

Like I say, there was one at one point but for some bizzare reason it has been removed and 'chopped' right outside where it entered the house. The engineer pulled about 5" of cable through the port inside the living room.
Make sure you get your compensation, if you had an email saying they *will* be installing today then you're owed money each day until they manage to get you live
Yeh 100% it was supposed to be installed today. He was coming to run the coax through the living room and get the 1gig online.

Would I be eligible for compensation for this? Isn't like £5 per day?

Soldato
Nope thats the cable that has gone ...missing? Neither the engineer or myself could find where the cable might have come out the ground.

Like I say, there was one at one point but for some bizzare reason it has been removed and 'chopped' right outside where it entered the house. The engineer pulled about 5" of cable through the port inside the living room.

Yeh 100% it was supposed to be installed today. He was coming to run the coax through the living room and get the 1gig online.

Would I be eligible for compensation for this? Isn't like £5 per day?

For you not to be able to see any cable would mean someone would have had to have chopped it literally flush with the ground/end of conduit, then poked it down inside the ground for it to truly disappear? These cables don't disappear and they don't get pulled back underground by engineers. It must be there. Have you looked all around the perimeter of your property for plastic conduit coming up about an inch above ground? It's possible it was the complete otherside of the house and they tacked it all around the wall to where you are saying it came in. Pics? Got any cabletel drain cover things outside your property?

Soldato
I guess it depends on the area. For me VM has been excellent - over the last couple of years I've never had an issue and the speed has always been what it's meant to be. But since the upload increase it's definitely not been as good as it used to be. For example, this is a speed test I ran just now:

Connection is definitely behaving a bit weird, though I haven't rebooted the VM hub today. Fortunately I had fibre installed today so I have this:

But I am still keeping the VM connection and I'll keep tabs on it. I'm sure it'll get sorted out eventually.

Last edited:
Soldato

Here - it's not great:

7bcb989e690e8a1a01cc5f95c8f730b2fd14bf90-02-06-2023.png

Especially compared to my Toob connection which hasn't been going all that long but still:

a55896c320125d33d5152bbc08d9f24e64b82c9f-02-06-2023.png

Last edited:
Soldato
We've just had toob go live locally. Do you guys pay the extra £8 or whatever it is for a static IP or do you just use the default setup using CG-NAT? Anyone know if that's likely to ever cause issues with things? I.e. sharing the same public IP as several others all the time. Little Johnny at number 27 gets IP banned on all the game servers and Netflix thinks you are account sharing? That kinda thing?

Soldato
I'm paying the extra for the static IP. £33 a month all in for gig is still pretty good. CGNAT could cause some issues with certain sites/games I suppose but I'm not sure how often people really get caught out by it. Most mobile networks use some form of CGNAT and I must admit I've never had a problem accessing anything from my phone when out and about. I only chose to pay for the static IP so that I can run some inbound services of my own. You could always go for it and see how you go with CGNAT and then add the static IP on later if you needed it.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Most services are aware of CGNAT now so don't do heavy-handed things like IP bans. Toob deploy IPv6 so most of your traffic to the big destinations will not be going through CGNAT.

Soldato
Are others having packet less and latency issues since rebooting to get the new upload speed?

It was perfect with he previous config, now I’m hitting 30% packet loss on the upload.
The only game I play is iracing and it is now completely updatable due to the blinking that happens when your connection is rubbish.

Associate
Are others having packet less and latency issues since rebooting to get the new upload speed?

It was perfect with he previous config, now I’m hitting 30% packet loss on the upload.
The only game I play is iracing and it is now completely updatable due to the blinking that happens when your connection is rubbish.
I was too until I turned the hub5 off and on again. It's been ok since.

Gee

Gee

Soldato
Thanks man.

It's been on and off a few times. I wanted to make sure it wasn't my home unifi network that was causing issues. Plus O have loads of pre rs errors. It's def a virgin issue.

Pre-RS errors for the most part are fine. Post RS errors indicate an issue with the line and would require an engineer visit.

Back
Top Bottom