Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Man of Honour
Sending off my 30 days cancellation notice soon to VM, Toob went live to order today so have signed up, installation on the 21st :cool:

0FtREk8.png

+ £8 extra for the static IP which I do need as I have port forwards set up. Can keep my router etc and run their hub in modem mode so nothing really changes my end for the config.

900 up and 900 down, finally decent upload speed :p

Been with VM since the Cable & Wireless days, when cable broadband was started with 64Kbps down, then the yearly free upgrades that doubled the speeds each time before VM decided they can charge extra each year and stop giving free speed bumps...

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Retentions just phoned offering £42 for 1gig+phone line, I said no :p

So it's clear that they can lower the price considerably, but choose not to for long loyal customers who have been with them 20+ years until you decide that enough is enough and leave.

SAD.

Last edited:
Caporegime
8 quid for a static IP is reasonably steep. I guess with these things you have to just add the costs together and consider that the price for the connection and realise that it's good value still.

Last edited:
Soldato
Got so many options now where I am, since BT/Openreach installed full fibre in my area, have BT/EE/Talk Talk full fibre options.

So when my VM contract ends will defiantly look to move away from them, despite VM being perfectly fine. (touch wood)

Anyone got any experience with any of the above, I have an Eero mesh at the moment and use VOIP into the VM HUB, that could be a slight issue with my Eero mesh, but may drop the phone line, so presume the Eero would connect directly to the ONT box, be it EE/BT or TalkTalk.

Last edited:

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Appears black friday deals are coming in early across retailers and companies...

Not sure if anything good but sky got some deals here

Caporegime
They're not bad price reductions, but with the caveat that they were starting from Sky's frankly insane Stream pricing. When you break down the first offer it's an £8/month Netflix plan that tops out at 720p and then £11 extra per month to watch some HBO shows that Sky have bought. I think it's cheaper to buy Now TV and a Netflix sub separately.

Reactions: R3X
Soldato
Sending off my 30 days cancellation notice soon to VM, Toob went live to order today so have signed up, installation on the 21st :cool:

0FtREk8.png

+ £8 extra for the static IP which I do need as I have port forwards set up. Can keep my router etc and run their hub in modem mode so nothing really changes my end for the config.

900 up and 900 down, finally decent upload speed :p

Been with VM since the Cable & Wireless days, when cable broadband was started with 64Kbps down, then the yearly free upgrades that doubled the speeds each time before VM decided they can charge extra each year and stop giving free speed bumps...

You won't be disappointed :) I've had Toob for a little while now and it's been great.

Still got my VM connection as a backup though.

Soldato
Nah just in contract for a while still. Plus kind of need VM for TV (kids etc).

Toob router is a bit crap by the way so hopefully you’ve got something better to use in place of it.

Associate
Morning all!

Got a volt boost, what’s the best place to check the speeds before and after please?

Is it under advanced tools, status?

Either using speedtest.net or if you wish to view the router stats then go to your SH5 homepage http://192.168.0.1 . Dont login but click 'Check router status' at below the password box, then choose configuration and look at your 'Max Traffic Rate'

Soldato
Thanks bud, this will do until fttp is in my area

I'm on VM for at least another 12 months, but now have FTTP in my street, around London areas BT/Openreach seem to be in full rollout mode, every street on my travels in the last few months has had it installed, has given so many ISP options, BT/EE/TalkTalk and maybe more that use the same infrastructure. Once they start in an area its an extremely fast rollout.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm on VM for at least another 12 months, but now have FTTP in my street, around London areas BT/Openreach seem to be in full rollout mode, every street on my travels in the last few months has had it installed, has given so many ISP options, BT/EE/TalkTalk and maybe more that use the same infrastructure. Once they start in an area its an extremely fast rollout.
Yes they are rolling out fibre round my area (Letchworth, Herts) so I’m hanging my VM contract out until I can jump ship

Soldato
I've just commited the cardinal sin of leaving an FTTP connection for Virgin, ultimately Virgins offer was too good to miss with mates rates vs the Openreach providers

Are you nuts?! ;)

To be fair, I've had very few issues with VM over the 22 years I've been with them but, if and when FTTP ever arrives here, I'd leave them in a heartbeat just on principle.

Soldato
been with cable ever since it was called blueyonder, and still dont have any alternatives unless want to drop down to around 67mb , and having to merry dance each time contract ends still can get some deal with virgin threatening to leave just wished full fibre would hurry up here so can start to get better deals :(

Back
Top Bottom