Virgin Media Speed Upgrades: FAQ

Permabanned
I hate virgin now, they must have some stupid download limit because everytime I try to download anythin I sometimes get booted of the internet and have to reboot modem :/

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Nottingham area including: Chesterfield, Grantham, Grimsby, Lincoln, Melton, Mansfield July

Oh well. Nice lady rang me this morning. She asked if I'd had any offers through the post. I said no, so she said that we already pay £37 for broadband, which I'm happy with, but for 5p less I can have the max broadband still, phoneline with free landline calls and the tv service. Only a fool would say no.

5p less for all that more? Bargain! Surprised they rang up and gave me that as I was happy just going on as it was. Coming tomorrow. Nice one.

Associate
the virgin (sometime when ever) upgrade sucks, Cardiff to be confirmed

I thought they were a pile of **** when it was NThell but this lot couldn't organise a orgy in a brothel.

doggo :mad: :mad:

Man of Honour
BloodWolf said:
You'll know when you got it, ** modem wont work then after like 30mins it works and you got 20MB.

Least that was my case. :)
Cool, so we don't actually have to reboot our modems manually? I'm at work all day so if/when it goes through I doubt I'll notice.. unless I'm RDP'ing onto my dev box at home for some testing.

Soldato
Nope it should be automatic. Though I have read of some instances where people have been upgraded after manually rebooting their modems.

Soldato
Just to clear things up for people:

The 4100 modem does not support 20mb, hence if you're having issues - that's probably the cause.

STM will not disconnect you - so there's mostly likely an issue somewhere.

Soldato
I decided to throw fuel on the fire :)

My 20MB works at FULL speed (unless I go over 3gigs in the 4 hours that it is speed capped). To make it even more funny, I am using a router that most people say can't even do 10MB (a RPC614).

Works beautifully :)

Caporegime
malc30 said:

where abouts in london are you, could you post some line stats.

only just got installed over the weekend and its good sometimes, joke at others.

right now i'm close to doing 3gigs since 4pm but haven't quite, speed test shows my upload is still 0.7mbps which is fine and the uncapped speed, but my download is, yes 0.7mbps aswell. woo, earlier, all morning anything i've gotten, connection permitting i've been able to get at least close to full speed. i know at times i can definately get the 2.2MB/s. i'm gonna call, or possibly wait till thursday as an engineer has to fix something with the v+ box. but pings, even while i can dl at 20mbps, are poo. i'm lucky if to london servers i can maintain a 45 at the moment, often up to 70. :(

Soldato
OP
i dont believe hhe lives in london, the speed test he is around 100miles away and his trust says he lives in the middle of england lol

Caporegime
allllec said:
i dont believe hhe lives in london, the speed test he is around 100miles away and his trust says he lives in the middle of england lol

that just makes me cry even more, why would you do that to me :(

i managed after midnight and rebooting modem to get some way way low pings of like 32 to a london server probo under 5 miles from me , WOOO. then after about half hour the pings would randomly increase above 100 for a while then back down to 45.

at several points today when i shouldn't have been speed limited i was getting a massive 0.1mbps upload, yay. once i find richard bransons london address its time for a burning bag of poo methinks ¬_¬

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
I am in a little town called Hinckley which is between Coventry and Leicester.
Been with NTL since day one and this area is covered well. Luck of the draw it seems.

Back
Top Bottom