Vodafone broadband any good?

Associate
I'm considering the Superfast 1 deals at the moment. Does the price go up after the contract ends?

Been on Sky Fibre for a while, was originally £25 for 18 months but went up to £38.99 and not got around to doing anything until now.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Installed today.

780Mbps to the Router, needs to bed in a bit but should see more speed.

5Ghz on my iPhone XS next to the router is hitting 534/518.

Other rooms in the house are about 300. Going to route a Cat6 cable into my office at some point for pure filth.

Edit:

Now sitting at 866 Mbps.

PGPfYDX.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Hey all, im looking to move to Vodafone broadband as they seem to have good deals on at the moment. Im currently with BT but they cant get anywhere near the Vodafone prices. The issue i have is that i really like the BT Home Hub 6 that i have.... If i switch to Vodafone will i still be able to use my BT home hub 6?

Plus how does everyone feel about Vodafone BB? Do they restrict speeds at peak times for example?

Associate
I signed up with them 2 months before the speed guarantee came in. Never reached a sync speed >20 but apparently I have to live with it as I signed up too early to be eligible for the minimum speed guarantee discount. Performance wise it has been fine, i think the speed is purely down to the location of the cabinet being approx 800m from the house (who knows where the cable runs) There is a nearer cabinet but for some reason we don't connect to the one <100 M from the house (This is an estate built in the 1940's so hardly new build)

Soldato
I signed up with them 2 months before the speed guarantee came in. Never reached a sync speed >20 but apparently I have to live with it as I signed up too early to be eligible for the minimum speed guarantee discount. Performance wise it has been fine, i think the speed is purely down to the location of the cabinet being approx 800m from the house (who knows where the cable runs) There is a nearer cabinet but for some reason we don't connect to the one <100 M from the house (This is an estate built in the 1940's so hardly new build)
Im currently with BT at 39mbps but paying for the 50mbps package. Hopefully speeds will be the same with Vodafone as it will use the same cables... Ill just be paying a lot less.

Soldato
Hey all, im looking to move to Vodafone broadband as they seem to have good deals on at the moment. Im currently with BT but they cant get anywhere near the Vodafone prices. The issue i have is that i really like the BT Home Hub 6 that i have.... If i switch to Vodafone will i still be able to use my BT home hub 6?

Plus how does everyone feel about Vodafone BB? Do they restrict speeds at peak times for example?

I've been with Vodafone for around a year on the 80/20 package which I got for £24 a month including line rental, I get low pings and I've never noticed any slowdowns always able to download at full line speed for several hours over peak time without issue. I do use my own router, the Vodafone supplied one is supposed to have poor wifi performance. I've never had a Home Hub 6 but aslong as you can change the username for the VDSL connection it should work with Vodafone.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've been with Vodafone for around a year on the 80/20 package which I got for £24 a month including line rental, I get low pings and I've never noticed any slowdowns always able to download at full line speed for several overs over peak time without issue. I do use my own router, the Vodafone supplied one is supposed to have poor wifi performance. I've never had a Home Hub 6 but aslong as you can change the username for the VDSL connection it should work with Vodafone.

Thanks for the comment. I think ill have to use the Vodafone router as the modem and then BT Home Hub6 as WiFi router..... Im sure ill work it out :D. What Router do you use? I might even go balls ot the walls and get an ASUS gaming WiFi router or something...

Soldato
Thanks for the comment. I think ill have to use the Vodafone router as the modem and then BT Home Hub6 as WiFi router..... Im sure ill work it out :D. What Router do you use? I might even go balls ot the walls and get an ASUS gaming WiFi router or something...

I use a Netgear D7000 and Ubiquiti APs for Wifi, it looks like the Vodafone router has been updated recently might be giving it ago first to see how it performs.

Soldato
I use a Netgear D7000 and Ubiquiti APs for Wifi, it looks like the Vodafone router has been updated recently might be giving it ago first to see how it performs.
Oh yea, ill let the new Vodafone one bed in and see how it performs for a couple of weeks first. If i get issues ill cross that bridge if i get to it. Those BT HH 6 modems can reach a decent price online :).

I also have an unused HH5 so that can get fleebayed too.

Caporegime
BT Home Hubs can't be used with non-BT providers as it won't accept the PPPoE username. The only exception to this is any companies that are also part of the BT group - e.g. EE, Plusnet and their old brands.

Soldato
BT Home Hubs can't be used with non-BT providers as it won't accept the PPPoE username. The only exception to this is any companies that are also part of the BT group - e.g. EE, Plusnet and their old brands.
There is a way. You have to turn off the dhcp and give it a different IP address. You then use it to piggyback off the Vodafone modem and turn the wireless off on that. Its a bit janky but apparently it will work with some other tweaks.

Anyway, I'm hoping that the newer Vodafone router will be man enough for the job

Caporegime
What is this newer router?

Regarding using a Home Hub - I meant using it as a modem/router, not just having it act as a wireless AP.

Associate
I've been using vodafone for the last couple of months so I was in contract with them rather than someone else when gigafast becomes available. It's available in Milton Keynes but not in my area yet :(

Has anyone else noticed that the vodafone DNS server sucks? Browsing the web is slow to connect to pages due to DNS lookup. Not a big issue, I swapped to 1.1.1.1 and it's fine but I've never seen such a poor DNS server.

Back
Top Bottom