Vodafone broadband any good?

Soldato
@Marvt74 what router are you using with the HG612? Have you connected a laptop/pc direct by ethernet cable to the router and ran a speed test? If you download a game from Steam/Origin what rate do you get?

I've worked through a few combinations

1 - Vodafone router/modem

2 - Asus DSL-AC88U

3 - HG612 > Asus DSL-AC88U (wanted to check the HG612 working before moving to a Ubiquiti network)

4 - HG612 > Ubiquiti Unifi setup (not yet in place)

I've ran a speedtest with my laptop connected direct from the HG612 to my laptop and get around 42mbs. Have also confirmed this on 3 laptops to isolate that being the problem.

Problem is if i log into the HG612 admin page it shows a speed of 68mbs so that's all Vodafone seem to care about.

Caporegime
Can any one explain or help with this?

155qque.jpg

The common thread seems to be when I am on WiFi at home, happens on my phone and PC and I can't figure out why? I have tried disabling all extensions and hardware acceleration.

Caporegime
Caporegime
Networking really isn't my strong point. Does someone have a good guide for using a spare router to do all the work*? And to clarify - I want the spare to be an access point and have DHCP enabled (disabled on the Vodafone router)?

*found a few but not entirely sure what I am doing with any of them. Silly thing is I have done this in the past :o:o albeit many years ago.

Associate
Quick points for anyone wrt VF broadband.

You can swap out the VF supplied router if you wish. It is not the best in the market for all users IMO.
There is a minimum speed connection guarantee (with refund if your connection is too slow).
If you move house and the new house cannot for any reason get the VF broadband service at the new property you can cancel for free (as they are unable to provide the service).
They have done some great deals for new subscribers in the past with some good tech freebies! Keep your eyes open for them.

Hope it helps. All the above helped me / my friends. Overall i recommend the service. Good value IMO. Not the fastest, but good value.

Associate
Got this from BT retentions, we pay the line rental (£208.80) upfront anyway. Not a bad deal and saves messing around changing:
o2NNsXi.png

Still £38 per month then when you add the Line Rental Saver back in (£17.40 per month). This is how both Plusnet and BT are making their deals look cheaper than they really are.

Associate
The HHG2500 is a pretty appalling piece of kit! It has problems co-existing with access points if they are using the same SSID - if using auto channels the 2.4GHz WiFi will just shut down (5GHz seems unaffected)! Attempting to use the built-in Twonky media server causes it to overheat and reboot - you can test this using an LCD thermometer adhered to the plastic case just below the Vodafone logo, start Twonky, and watch the temps of the PLASTICS soar. It appears that the 24.GHz WiFi band is deliberately throttled (more overheating issues maybe - that's just a guess). If you have any devices on your network that use UPnP the router seems to interfere with the protocol, making streaming "unreliable". In fact any device to device contact (including printers) within the local network becomes unreliable. So it's pretty well completely unusable for anything other than basic web access or streaming directly from the web, even then if you have two local devices streaming from the same web server, it's NAT doesn't seem to work properly and the second source to connect usually just stutters and dies.

Soldato
The HHG2500 is a pretty appalling piece of kit! It has problems co-existing with access points if they are using the same SSID - if using auto channels the 2.4GHz WiFi will just shut down (5GHz seems unaffected)! Attempting to use the built-in Twonky media server causes it to overheat and reboot - you can test this using an LCD thermometer adhered to the plastic case just below the Vodafone logo, start Twonky, and watch the temps of the PLASTICS soar. It appears that the 24.GHz WiFi band is deliberately throttled (more overheating issues maybe - that's just a guess). If you have any devices on your network that use UPnP the router seems to interfere with the protocol, making streaming "unreliable". In fact any device to device contact (including printers) within the local network becomes unreliable. So it's pretty well completely unusable for anything other than basic web access or streaming directly from the web, even then if you have two local devices streaming from the same web server, it's NAT doesn't seem to work properly and the second source to connect usually just stutters and dies.

Your post made me decide to log into the HHG2500. As soon as I log in the unit reboots LOL not sure what that's all about !

As it stands I do not trust the vodafone private net so everything is disabled. DHCP, wifi etc and use 2 failover over routers / firewalls instead sitting behind the router effectively DMZing them. Everything work fines apart for DNS pollution by Vodafone so I use my own with DNSSEC

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
So Vodafone are going to be re-selling the Cityfibre up to 1Gbps FTTP connections that are getting fitted to all the properties in my area by the end of the year, my current Plusnet contract expires at the end of May so I'm thinking about jumping over to Vodafone in preparation for an easier transition to getting a FTTP connection later in the year.

Reviews seem like a mixed bag but I'll give it a shot, also comes in £10/month cheaper than what I'm paying for a comparable service.
Current Plusnet speeds comming in at 58mpbs and Vodafone are guaranteeing a minimum of 55mbps so I cant see any reason why I should notice too much of a difference...

I got a letter through the door yesterday, looks like they are digging up the street to get the CityFibre to our houses next week.

Have you spoken to Vodafone about what they can offer and how soon?

I sent an inquiry via https://www.vodafone.co.uk/broadband/gigafast

Associate
I got a letter through the door yesterday, looks like they are digging up the street to get the CityFibre to our houses next week.

Have you spoken to Vodafone about what they can offer and how soon?

I sent an inquiry via https://www.vodafone.co.uk/broadband/gigafast

I tried to ask them on the phone when I called to switch over for regular FTTC, the call center staff haven't had any training on the new gigabit product so they couldn't/wouldn't tell me anything about it.

At one point a few weeks ago they were running a promo stand outside the Wolverton Tesco, I did ask the chap there when we would actually be able to have it installed and how much it would cost. Apparently the price is going to be "competitive" but again none of the selling staff have been told exactly how much with "End of the year" being a rough estimate.

If you have a look on roadworks.org website you can see all the sites cityfibre are working on at the minute, I've been keeping a rough eye on it and it seems they are working North-to-South direction wise, but it seems only about 1/3 of the town has been done so far.

Associate
On a side note, my regular vodafone FTTC product has been absolutely fine, I've had no dropouts and the speed is back the same as it was when I was on plusnet, so no complaints from me.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I tried to ask them on the phone when I called to switch over for regular FTTC, the call center staff haven't had any training on the new gigabit product so they couldn't/wouldn't tell me anything about it.

At one point a few weeks ago they were running a promo stand outside the Wolverton Tesco, I did ask the chap there when we would actually be able to have it installed and how much it would cost. Apparently the price is going to be "competitive" but again none of the selling staff have been told exactly how much with "End of the year" being a rough estimate.

If you have a look on roadworks.org website you can see all the sites cityfibre are working on at the minute, I've been keeping a rough eye on it and it seems they are working North-to-South direction wise, but it seems only about 1/3 of the town has been done so far.

I'm in Fenny Stratford and got a letter through the post about upcoming work on the street, so hopefully not too long.

Back
Top Bottom