Vodafone gigafast and Draytek 2860 router

Associate
Joined
25 Jul 2008
Posts
19
A bit of a thread revival and hoping someone can help me understand my speed issues. I'm on Vodafone FTTP 900mb and with the supplied router can get 900mb download via ethernet no issues. I installed a Asus AC87U and can only get circa 400-500mb downloads, uploads no problems at 900mb. Google searches indicates the Asus may be underpowered and maxing its CPU so I look for a new router and managed to get a Draytek Vigor 2865AC which supposedly should handle the 900mb connection. It is marginally better at around 550mb downloads and still 900mb uploads. When testing on speedtest.net with the Draytek, it ramps up to the 550mb very quickly and appears to have hit the ceiling, so its making me wonder if its setting related or something that the VF router is doing/detected which allows unrestricted bandwidth. Looking at Draytek CPU usage, it doesnt appear to be high (no more than 50% utilisation), so I'm thinking the problem isnt with the Draytek router and a bit lost why its hitting that threshold. Connection is set via PPPOE details, VLAN ID 911 (on cityfibre), MTU 1492.
 
Caporegime
Joined
18 Oct 2002
Posts
26,209
50% CPU usage sounds like a dual core device with a core maxed out. At a guess you are hitting a device limitation because the PPPoE is done in software and can only run on a single core.

Plug the DrayTek WAN into your Vodafone router and set the WAN to DHCP and test again. Yes it's double-NAT at that point but it will test whether the problem is PPPoE, which I would put my money on.
 
Associate
Joined
25 Jul 2008
Posts
19
Try with hardware acceleration turned on

Yes, I have been testing with HW acceleration turned on in all cases

50% CPU usage sounds like a dual core device with a core maxed out. At a guess you are hitting a device limitation because the PPPoE is done in software and can only run on a single core.

Plug the DrayTek WAN into your Vodafone router and set the WAN to DHCP and test again. Yes it's double-NAT at that point but it will test whether the problem is PPPoE, which I would put my money on.

So I tried your recommendation. The WAN of the Draytek was plugged into a LAN port of the VF router. The Draytek WAN is configured as dynamic IP which it managed to get connected and strangely I am still testing to a max of 550mb/s downloads! Uploads are still +900mb/s. I have disabled most things on the Draytek including WIFI and firewall to make it less taxing and still no improvements on the speed. The ethernet uplink between the Draytek and VF Router is confirmed to be 1000mb. Is there anything else I should look for in the settings page?
 
Caporegime
Joined
18 Oct 2002
Posts
26,209
Also make sure you have the latest firmware on the DrayTek and factory default it, just to make sure there's no rate limit set that is stopping you.
 
Soldato
Joined
3 Jun 2005
Posts
3,115
Location
The South
@kungfuman - If you're running the latest firmware (should be 4.4.2 i believe), all QoS/bandwidth limiting/firewall is disabled, then try disabling all WAN ports (especially WAN1) other than WAN2 (making sure it's set to 'Always On') and disable all LAN ports (especially P6 if using WAN2) other than the one you're using, reboot and test again.
Otherwise as mentioned, get onto Draytek support as they're generally pretty good.
 
Back
Top Bottom