Volume levels in Cinemas nowadays...

Man of Honour
Off to the BFI IMAX on tuesday to watch The Avengers: Age Of Ultron. Expecting the sound to be loud, but not overwhelming.

Sadly, it does seem that there is a loudness war going on in movies, just as there in in music. Had the misfortune of going to see the last Transformers movie at the cinema. That was just excessive.

Soldato
OP
Stop being an old fart

:D No, Its my right to whine & whinge at almost 50 if I don't like something.

It's to drown out the ignorant *****s who can't sit for 2 hours and actually watch a film in quiet and have to sit and flap their slack jawed gums up and down for any number of asinine reasons.

I think you have a point there. The resident Chav nuisance in Cinema blockbuster screening these days always has to make a point of making sure that everyone else hears their phone call. "Yeah, I'm in the Cinema watching the Avengers mate"

NO **** Sherlock.

Last edited:
Associate
As a bass player who's lost count of the number of gigs I've played, I'd be a massive hypocrite to complain about loud bass.

However, last time I went to Vue cinema it was so loud it was overdriving the sound system, completely distorting when there was anything more than plain dialogue playing. Completely ruined the film for me.

It was the last straw for me as far as cinemas go to be honest, and I haven't been back since. I'm quite happy now to wait for the bluray release and watch at home.

Soldato
OP
However, last time I went to Vue cinema it was so loud it was overdriving the sound system, completely distorting when there was anything more than plain dialogue playing. Completely ruined the film for me.

It was the last straw for me as far as cinemas go to be honest, and I haven't been back since. I'm quite happy now to wait for the bluray release and watch at home.

Exactly. I think the projectionists are forced to turn up the volume in Cinemas these days (The bass in particular) & the systems I don't think are designed for that kind of volume levels, even though they are professional Cinema surround sound systems (I think the speakers in the Auditorium were JBL)

It's put me off going to the Cinema for a while, that's for sure, That & the price I paid, nearly £10 for Sunday lunchtime showing. It'll be near enough that price for the disc at Xmas time, I can watch it at the Volume level of my choice then. :p

Man of Honour
IMAX was certainly loud, but was perfectly fine.

I suppose it shows the difference between a multiplex and a properly setup cinema.

Soldato
As someone said earlier, The Light in Cambridge was far too loud when I watched FF7 last week. Then again, this is a cinema called "The Light" yet one of their lighted signs outside is broken and, hence, is dark. That made me chuckle. :)

Associate
I think it's also the way the audio is produced, in the films. The venue where I work runs a film club, and I often find I have to reduce bass levels and increase to high frequencies get the right balance.

Oh god.. hearing that kills me inside a little. So much time, money and effort is given to mix films to sound as great as they possibly could.. I would investigate what mix you are getting and playing at your film club and see if it suits your playback environment.

Off to the BFI IMAX on tuesday to watch The Avengers: Age Of Ultron. Expecting the sound to be loud, but not overwhelming.

Sadly, it does seem that there is a loudness war going on in movies, just as there in in music. Had the misfortune of going to see the last Transformers movie at the cinema. That was just excessive.

You are absolutely right. Some quick info..

Dolby set a standard mixing level for sound teams to mix film to - known as Dolby 7. This volume is set on the cinema processor unit installed in any Dolby licensed mix or playback theatre. Directors pushed the limits with this (because 6 channels of full scale audio at Dolby 7 is pushing 110-115 dB SPL) and thus, cinemas began turning down mixes for playback. They would have their projectionist watch the movie (or the first 20 mins or so) and adjust the volume to what they deemed correct.

Well this was a nightmare. The 'louder is better' directors hated that, and ended up pushing their mixes up further and further. The 'louder is going to hurt your audience' directors ended up having their film sound too quiet in the cinema. Lose lose situation.

So we have a generation of sound teams working at lower volumes, pushing their mixes louder to compensate for cinemas turning their mix down too far. On going battle nobody will win.

As a bass player who's lost count of the number of gigs I've played, I'd be a massive hypocrite to complain about loud bass.

That cinema was not adhering to Dolby's playback specification! It would've been fine when they were licensed by Dolby but haven't given it the proper maintenance. Unless it's an awful mixer/s on the film, dialogue will not distort in a cinema that keeps their room in spec. The number of times i've complained to Vue and got free tickets or money off - do it! They can be real thieves and not care about how a film sounds despite the work that's gone into it. I went to see 'The Maze Runner' in my local Vue.. I didn't last beyond the first advert. The dialogue was coming from the right speaker instead of the centre. After complaining and going to the projection room myself to take a look.. somebody had very obviously noticed the centre speaker's diaphragm had gone and swapped the centre and the right speaker to punters could hear the dialogue again (from the WRONG speaker). Crooks.

Exactly. I think the projectionists are forced to turn up the volume in Cinemas these days (The bass in particular) & the systems I don't think are designed for that kind of volume levels, even though they are professional Cinema surround sound systems (I think the speakers in the Auditorium were JBL)

On the contrary - cinemas turn it down! Also.. most modern multiplexes now no longer have on-site projectionists. All digital projection is scheduled and ran from a centralised site somewhere else in the UK. As i've said above.. films are mixed at 'Dolby 7' with the intention to be played back at that level so you hear exactly what the director and sound team worked to achieve. Some directors pushed the limits, cinemas reacted by turning it down, now you have a nightmare of push/pull. Films like 'Man of Steel' mix at a lower Dolby level.. creating a louder mix overall.. because they expect the cinemas to turn it down. If you are in a cinema that (and this is rare..) actually plays back at Dolby 7.. you will have your head blown off by those kinds of films. But if you saw a film done by a smart director and good sound team who didn't want to pre-empt cinemas turning the mix down.. you'd walk out a happy chappy.

Granted, some people might just find films to be too loud in general. I take work experiencers at my studio where some of these films are mixed and their first comment is always 'thats pretty loud' when we're mixing.. because they're not used to it. If the cinema is properly maintained and following the guidelines for playback and you still find it too loud.. the onus lies with the director.. because that's how they wanted it! I think they aren't held accountable half as much as they should be for the volume of their films.

Soldato
As someone said earlier, The Light in Cambridge was far too loud when I watched FF7 last week. Then again, this is a cinema called "The Light" yet one of their lighted signs outside is broken and, hence, is dark. That made me chuckle. :)

I had this exact issue watching avengers last weekend in this cinema! Far too loud.

Associate
Sound levels in Vue cinemas are far too loud, set at eardrum bursting levels, especially during trailers, and, as a special bonus, strobe-lighting effects are added to trigger epilepsy. Furthermore, at the end of trailers, there's a gratuitous shout of "Boom, that got your attention!".

Which bunch of ******** juvenile Vue executives came up with that idea? Not all cinema goers are head-banging adolescents and parents should think seriously before allowing their children to be exposed to these ototoxic noise levels; Vue should be held responsible for hearing loss and customers vote with their feet!

https://www.deadlinenews.co.uk/2012/07/04/ear-shattering-noise-cuts-family-cinema-visit-short/

** No need to use that word here **

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
I know I posted way back in '15 but I've just remembered that the loudest film I heard was my first ever 3d film (when this new 3d was first out) called Beowolf, a terrible CGI-animated film with Ray Winstone and Angelina Jolie retelling the Norse myth.

The volume was so loud that the film felt so long (about 2.5hrs IIRC - less than 2hrs in reality) that I had "just back from a concert" ringing ears for a day after.

Soldato
OP
Holy thread revival :D :p

That 'incident' hasnt put me off going to the cinema anymore, I do pay a visit a few times a year & I must admit that could've been a one off. If anything what will put me off is the price of admission. As in I could wait a few months & not pay that much more for a Blu-ray (not 4k UHD, the prices of those beggars belief)

Associate
I have found some cinemas are way too loud but i tend to watch movies at home now much better experience imo, although i always remember as a kid watching Jurassic park and the THX setup was ridiculously loud but also pretty awesome and reminded me of this :)

Caporegime
I've seen a few videos predicting the death of cinemas within the next 50 years.

Netflix and significantly shorter time between cinema and home releases, and improvements in home cinema tech has made watching most movies at home a more acceptable thing for people, and it is only really 'event' movies that get people out in droves.

Weirdly, Disney has almost a monopoly on event movies, and they have/are splurging them all in 2019 pretty much.

Possibly looking to phase out over the next few decades and focus everything on Disney+ so that they don't have to pay cinemas any share of the revenue, and can harvest user data, and plug their own content in ads/suggestions? Sounds like the kinda thing Disney would do :D

Soldato
This is why I don't go to my local cinema. Theres a big difference between good audio with powerful bass and just cranking it up to full. It just sounds uncomfortably loud at times.

Are there safety measures to stop the sound being set to dangerous levels? I can imagine the sound system in a cinema could potentially be set to a level that would cause permanent damage to your hearing and whats to stop the person in charge accidentally setting it too high?

Back
Top Bottom