VPN recommendations?

Associate
I recently changed my R7000 router to a R7800 and that seems to offer better performance for my AirVPN connection. The R7000 is a great router but the R7800 has a faster dual core CPU and it seems to make a difference.

I might sell the R7000 now or just use it as an AP as the wireless strength is better.

Hey, I just bought an R7800 myself. To use it with AirVPN do you run custom firmware?

Cheers

Soldato
Hey, I just bought an R7800 myself. To use it with AirVPN do you run custom firmware?

Cheers

I know absolutely nothing about DD-WRT but as that is the firmware of choice for the R7800 I have been thrown in at the deep end. I preferred the AsusWRT Merlin on the R7000, but that was probably down to familiarity. Even then my understanding was pretty rudimentary.

The thread for the R7800....

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewto...&start=0&sid=eeb64485d0924060e48b0bca98854041

Two choices of DD-WRT, Brainslayers, the admin of the site (BS) and then Kongs.....

BS...

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2017/05-02-2017-r31924/netgear-r7800/

Kong....

http://desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-IPQ806X/

Kong is the newer of the two build.....

DD-WRT v3.0-r31980M kongat (05/11/17)

read as much of that thread as you can as what I say is really based on zero experience of using DD-WRT. From that thread you will see that forum section also contains posts about the R7800 and the whole site has aspects of running and configuring DD-WRT, might help you.

Kong states....

R7800 build:

Flash R7800-factory-to-ddwrt.img build from Netgear firmware.
Once dd-wrt is running you have to use ddwrt-netgear-R7800.bin
to flash future updates.

Currently known issue:

-2G and 5G leds are not operational since they cannot be controlled through gpio.
Current opensource wireless driver has no support to control these leds.

If you want to revert to netgear firmware flash: ddwrt-to-netgear-fw-R7800.bin

You have little choice but to use a custom firmware as the Netgear one has never supported a VPN Client and that is what you will need to use. I have not needed to go back to std firmware, some suggest that the method does not work, but there are other options - which I have not needed to explore.

Be careful tho as bricks are possible.

I pretty much followed this guide from AirVPN.....

https://airvpn.org/ddwrt/

but the last bit about the firewall rule I found tun1 was the interface used and not tun0. I also use Google DNS servers as that allowed me to use a "name" for the connection to the AirVPN servers rather than translate that to an IP address.

However I did need to mail AirVPN for some help and they did respond pretty quick. Send them a support ticket and they will get back to you, if you need their help.

I do hope that the above helps but please do not think of me an expert as there are things which simply go above my weak and feeble brain.

FWIW I had the R7800 set on my desk just connected directly by ethernet to my wife's laptop and flashed from there, thus having a working connection with my R7000 to check things out on how as I was going on etc.

Good luck

Associate
Wow! Thanks for that post mate. Hearing first hand experience always makes me feel better about something I've not done before.

My worry was losing some functionality with custom firmware but I can live without the LED's, I turn them off anyway!

I'll read through that thread, thanks for the advice mate.

Associate
get one based in the British virgin islands / panama etc as they haven't signed up to the 14 eyes agreement. and never will.
i think ExpressVPN and NordVPN are about the best from what ive read.

Associate
I am also on ExpressVPN and never had any issues except constant adding and removal of server locations occasionally. IMO using every VPN service even the secure ones, tends to slow down the speed a little because of encryption it uses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
I'm using CyberGhost VPN. Very good, plenty of servers and the speeds are very good as well.
Before this I was using EarthVPN. Probably I will go back to this one after my subscription with CyberGhost will end. They're using OpenVPN and have many servers at your disposal.

Back
Top Bottom