Soldato
Well, I've been using PureVPN via SocialStack lifetime for over 2 years now.

I feel okay with it i know i don't get any ip/dns leaks which is good. but mainly find their software for windows/ios(iPhone) poor. Since last week uninstalled the software off my windows pc last week as it kept disconnecting and had issues with Cashe and just using the chrome extension now but ideally id like to be connected all the time still yet to figure out how to load it all into windows 10 or if that's any better than using the software.

Still, keep looking at others to go to and do miss CyberGhost from time to time.

Just set the connection up manually locally, or if you have a virtualised environment at home then one of the excellent Binhex images for Deluge etc. may be of interest, just remember it needs hard coded IP's for servers and not host names as it won't do DNS for security reasons. Bonus is anything else on the lan that supports a proxy can now benefit from VPN without the overhead.

Associate
Just signed up for the $99 3 year deal on Nord VPN.
I will report back on my findings.

Chose Nord, as it has servers in Ireland - this is a priority for me.

Soldato
fair comment, I did wonder if is something to do with law

Basing a VPN company in a country where the government can force them to hand over data on their customers goes against the basic idea of using a VPN in the first place, privacy.

That being said, PIA is based in the U.S. but doesn't keep logs, so has no information to give when it's asked for. This has been tested a couple of times when U.S. law enforcement agencies have forced them to hand over data and they've had nothing useful to give them.

They only get away with that as there are no laws in the U.S. requiring them to log data. In the UK, however, ISPs and the like have to keep up to 12 months of logs and upon being served an interception warrant, have to provide all the info they have on a IP/individual's activity.

Last edited:
Soldato
NordVPN keeps on grinding to a halt periodically (as often as every 5 or so minutes), any idea what may be causing this? The app still says I am connected but I then get internet drops for a 30-60 seconds before it returns to normal again?

Soldato
Basing a VPN company in a country where the government can force them to hand over data on their customers goes against the basic idea of using a VPN in the first place, privacy.

That being said, PIA is based in the U.S. but doesn't keep logs, so has no information to give when it's asked for. This has been tested a couple of times when U.S. law enforcement agencies have forced them to hand over data and they've had nothing useful to give them.

They only get away with that as there are no laws in the U.S. requiring them to log data. In the UK, however, ISPs and the like have to keep up to 12 months of logs and upon being served an interception warrant, have to provide all the info they have on a IP/individual's activity.

The US have interception warrants too, various types in fact. There's the regular National Security Letter (you'll let us tap your server/line/datacentre but you're banned by law from telling anyone), there's the secret FISA court warrants that the company in question will not even be informed about, and there's the good old 'We don't have a warrant but we're tapping you anyway - because NSA'. The FBI might not get their hands on your data, but you can bet your hiney the NSA/DHS etc do.

Soldato
Been trailing ProtonVPN as I've got my email with them, can't fault it at all and they seem to offer more features for the people who require an even more secure VPN connection, plus like their email it's based in Switzerland.

Soldato
The US have interception warrants too, various types in fact. There's the regular National Security Letter (you'll let us tap your server/line/datacentre but you're banned by law from telling anyone), there's the secret FISA court warrants that the company in question will not even be informed about, and there's the good old 'We don't have a warrant but we're tapping you anyway - because NSA'. The FBI might not get their hands on your data, but you can bet your hiney the NSA/DHS etc do.

Yes, but the difference being that if the company doesn't keep logs, then all they can get their hands on is real time encrypted data. Whereas in the UK, the interception warrants entitle them to up to 12 months worth of logs, plus anything they can get their hands on at that moment.

Soldato
Yes, but the difference being that if the company doesn't keep logs, then all they can get their hands on is real time encrypted data. Whereas in the UK, the interception warrants entitle them to up to 12 months worth of logs, plus anything they can get their hands on at that moment.

In the same vein, if the (UK) server isn't keeping logs, they can't be provided. VPNs are not ISPs or telcos. You're right about the traffic being end-to-end encrypted, but unfortunately not every person (or even every company) insists on rigorous protocols and cyphers. There are plenty of companies offering PPTP and L2TP, and/or MSCHAPv1 with a PSK, or even some implementations of SSH; all of which are supposedly already easily broken by NSA et al. WireGuard for me, closely followed by an AES-256 IKEv2 implementation if necessary.

Associate
I do not know much about vpns etc, was just researching and noticed a comment under a youtube review and researched further.
I would rather someone with more knowledge to check out and tell me if this is competitors spreading fud or is true.

This is just a copy/paste of one of the lines of an article i read.

Darius Bereika, the very CEO of Tesonet, is also now the CEO of NordVPN, one of the biggest VPNS on the market. Not only that, but the CEO of Tesonet is also in control of ProtonVPN and Proton Mail.

Associate
I use Nord and when I first learned about this story I was shocked at first, but digging down more it smells like bullcrap to me. First of all, it is publicly known that these claims are spread by the competitors which don’t look too good by itself. Secondly, Proton explained the whole situation nicely here (https://www.reddit.com/r/ProtonVPN/comments/8ww4h2/protonvpn_and_tesonet/) and I believe them more than the competitors who run such smear campaigns. Personally, I feel it is like an attempt to exaggerate some simple things into a full-blown conspiracy and I am always skeptical about them.

Back
Top Bottom