Soldato
What is a recommended router to use with NordVPN or any VPNs?

Most flexible is a bespoke make-it-yourself pfSense install I would say. Other opensource firewall/router distributions are also available that may be as good but I don't know.

A netgate pfSense appliance will work well naturally

Asus AC86U I believe can manage a significant speed and is probably the best compromise between being consumer orientated and having the performance.

Mikrotik do a router I keep forgetting the name of that people say can push some speed through VPN at a low price but has a very steep learning curve.

Things that have Open-WRT and Tomato or other custom firmware can run a VPN client but are often underpowered to make full use of your internet connection.

I assume, but don't know for sure, that Ubiquiti products can do it as well as lots of expensive enterprise kit.

Rather than replace your router you can put something like a Pi on your network, connect that to a VPN and selectively route some or all of your LAN traffic via it to be hidden.

When making your choice consider if you need to max out your internet connection or not and whether you you really want your entire network behind a VPN. Geo-sensitive streaming services can be problematic as for everyone you bypass you find that iPlayer stops working on your smart TV. I think those two things, together with how much networking knowledge you have, are the deciding factors on what is best for you.

Personally I bought a six-NIC fanless mini PC with a CPU supporting AES-NI and put pfSense on it and wouldn't ever go back to anything else but it isn't for everyone and cost about £300 to put together. If you've any old PC parts you could try and do it yourself for modest cost.

Soldato
So I still cant get NordVPN to hold a stable connection. It will connect but will periodically pause.
Its still shows as connected but I get no packet traffic at all for about a 30-60 seconds then it will start up again just fine.

It did it with a HH6 which I changed to a USG and its still doing it. This is both with the app and OpenVPN
Any ideas why it is doing this?

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Strange - not experiencing any probs with Nord myself. Had my phone connected to a UK server from Saturday night until last night, only realised when I went to bed I was still connected, usually I only use it for geo-location purposes / public wifi.

Soldato
Edit...

Moved from PureVpn to Nord.

Wow, it's good! Flawless on Mobile and Windows!

@Mp4 PureVPN user here, why did you move. I have found the service from PureVPN to be pretty decent on all platforms. Is Nord significantly better or was it a cost consideration?

Regards

Soldato
So I finally figured out my issues with Nord.
Ended up being my windows server firewall that was borking the connection, once corrected everything seems better but im still getting random drops just not as severe..

Need to play around a bit more with it.

Last edited:

Mp4

Mp4

Soldato
@Mp4 PureVPN user here, why did you move. I have found the service from PureVPN to be pretty decent on all platforms. Is Nord significantly better or was it a cost consideration?

Regards

I've had issues with the app for my phone for a while, windows, tablet. and even with the latest app update it just would not connect or connect then 3-5mins disconnect and hated streaming. so had to enter everything manually. And just got to the point where I've given up with it all as I wanted it to work right away and not faff with settings I have no idea about. But If I feel I need to go back I will as its a lifetime account but:) can't see that happening now.

Nord has been flawless with its app. And costing 99$ last week. It just works!

Soldato
I've had issues with the app for my phone for a while, windows, tablet. and even with the latest app update it just would not connect or connect then 3-5mins disconnect and hated streaming. so had to enter everything manually. And just got to the point where I've given up with it all as I wanted it to work right away and not faff with settings I have no idea about. But If I feel I need to go back I will as its a lifetime account but:) can't see that happening now.

Nord has been flawless with its app. And costing 99$ last week. It just works!
Thanks dude. I sometimes get issues with PureVPN when I work from my office but other than that it has been pretty much ok

Associate
I am currently using VyprVpn and considering a change from it. Even with chameleon, their tool to apparently hide the fact you are using a VPN, sites such as Amazon video seem to have just blocked all their servers. Some of their European servers seem fast enough, but I'm finding their UK one to be quite slow in comparison.

Although they apparently don't keep usage logs, this comparison site http://thatoneprivacysite.net/vpn-comparison-chart/ suggests that they do keep some logging - I guess connection logs as opposed to activity logs, but even so, I'm considering a change.

It seems that NordVPN is the way to go based upon a little research - anyone else moved from VyprVpn to NordVpn?

Cheers :)

Associate
I am currently using VyprVpn and considering a change from it. Even with chameleon, their tool to apparently hide the fact you are using a VPN, sites such as Amazon video seem to have just blocked all their servers. Some of their European servers seem fast enough, but I'm finding their UK one to be quite slow in comparison.

Although they apparently don't keep usage logs, this comparison site http://thatoneprivacysite.net/vpn-comparison-chart/ suggests that they do keep some logging - I guess connection logs as opposed to activity logs, but even so, I'm considering a change.

It seems that NordVPN is the way to go based upon a little research - anyone else moved from VyprVpn to NordVpn?

I'd appreciate feedback on NordVPN too. Thinking of getting my first VPN and the NordVPN 2-year deal looks good.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
I've been using Nord for a while, nothing but good to say so far. Using on my mac/pixel/ipad and windows laptop.

Speeds are great, I'm on 350mbit and there is some loss but I'm often able to pull 150-200 no problem but then I don't use the VPN full time, it's more for geolocation.

Soldato

VyprVPN apparently can, will and have kept records and reported users to copyright trolls for downloading their favourite Linux ISOs. Be warned.

Soldato
Cant knock Nord, have a Nas that is routed to sit behind it 24/7, download speeds are good enough for me. Mobile app great for ad blocking and privacy. Never had a problem

Back
Top Bottom