Soldato
You’ll have to put your superhub into modem mode and put a VPN router behind it which can act as a client to NordVPN via the OpenVPN protocol. Routers that can be flashed with Merlin, Tomato, DD-WRT or similar custom firmware can support this. None of them will be powerful enough to run a VPN at any speed, perhaps 10-20Mbps is the most you’ll see. So if you put your entire network behind it you’re wasting a lot of your Virgin connection.

To maximise throughout and add that on/off switch (done in software rather than a physical switch) you’ll need something like a pfSense router on modern hardware or an enterprise grade router or learn the OS that Mikrotik routers run on and get a Mikrotik.

Soldato
If money is no object then get a Partaker mini PC with six NICs and an AES compatible CPU plus as many Ubiquiti access points as you need. Put pfSense on it and you can do everything you want and more.

Soldato
I have the rt-ac86u and use it exactly as you want to, though not with everything behind the router just some boxes and my phone.

Just done a speed test and my 200Mbps virgin line still gives me 50 through the VPN so not bad.

I looked into it a lot and got this router as it's multi core and doesn't max out the CPU with the VPN encryption. Asus also great with the Merlin firmware.
You can add/remove devices that you want to use the VPN in 30 seconds.

They may have other models out now that are even better. I didn't have time for the learning curve of the pfsense and Mikrotik boxes though they did look interesting.

Last edited:
Soldato
Be aware that routing everything through a VPN will stop somethings working.

...including Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer (some VPNs excepted). It's a royal pain at times. If money is no object OP you have two options - get the Asus 86u linked above, or build your own. The latter is what I did, and it's far more flexible. A WireGuard connection to AzireVPN (10Gbps symmetrical links per server node) and I see 360Mbps plus all day every day. You need Linux and networking knowledge though (or BSD/pfSense/OPNsense if you prefer IPSec to WireGuard and don't care about Linux hardware acceleration).

Soldato
...including Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer (some VPNs excepted). It's a royal pain at times. If money is no object OP you have two options - get the Asus 86u linked above, or build your own. The latter is what I did, and it's far more flexible. A WireGuard connection to AzireVPN (10Gbps symmetrical links per server node) and I see 360Mbps plus all day every day. You need Linux and networking knowledge though (or BSD/pfSense/OPNsense if you prefer IPSec to WireGuard and don't care about Linux hardware acceleration).

Don't forget online shopping/banking, I had a server order put on hold last w/e as I flagged as a US IP ordering UK services from a US firm, they didn't seem to appreciate the irony.

That’s why I’ll be going for the Asus :)

It sounds weird that some things won’t work at a VPN’d router but will work at a VPN’d device, I believe you, I’m just saying it sounds odd to me (remember networking is a dark-art to me :p)

Anyone have a good VPN service provider recommendation?

The issue is the VPN being a shared IP, not the device it's run from, speed will depend on the type of encryption used and if the device supports hardware acceleration. The issue is 100's of users connecting to - for example - iPlayer is suspect and pretty soon whole IP ranges get flagged.

Soldato
I use Nord VPN and it's never let me down.

I was going to say it's not best practice to put everything behind the VPN, just what you want to keep hidden or secure and aren't to fussy about download speeds being a bit slower.

If you have a firestick or Android box for steaming services for example putting it behind a VPN doesn't really give any advantage unless you are circumventing location. Not like you are shopping or frequently entering passwords on those types of devices

Soldato
I've just installed their three day trial from https://free.nordvpn.com/ - just in case you hadn't found it :)

Awesome, thanks for this. Not sure I need want a VPN, so this gives me the chance to give them a go.

You can get 40% quidco cashback with Nord too, there is also a 3 year deals kicking about which are better value and they work with quidco.

Another awesome post, thanks. Makes the £90 for two years easier to swallow!

Soldato
If you have a firestick or Android box for steaming services for example putting it behind a VPN doesn't really give any advantage unless you are circumventing location. Not like you are shopping or frequently entering passwords on those types of devices
Assuming you're using legitimate commercial streaming services.

Associate
Looking to use a VPN the other way around...

A relative would like to be able to access my home network for backing up of files and such, as there are a few devices they would rather do this at router level instead of a device by device basis. I have a UniFi USG that I use to VPN in on my phone and other devices when away, this setup all works well, so I know my side of things is setup and ready to go. The issue is that my relatives have Sky broadband and are unable to change their router (I know they possibly could but are reluctant to), otherwise this task would be simple.

Is there any way around this? If so is there a guide around setting this up? My initial thought is a Raspberry Pi, however I'm not sure how the traffic routing would go with this, another idea is that a 2nd router connected up to their Sky router, however the risk of double NAT causes concern.

Soldato
Looking to use a VPN the other way around...

A relative would like to be able to access my home network for backing up of files and such, as there are a few devices they would rather do this at router level instead of a device by device basis. I have a UniFi USG that I use to VPN in on my phone and other devices when away, this setup all works well, so I know my side of things is setup and ready to go. The issue is that my relatives have Sky broadband and are unable to change their router (I know they possibly could but are reluctant to), otherwise this task would be simple.

Is there any way around this? If so is there a guide around setting this up? My initial thought is a Raspberry Pi, however I'm not sure how the traffic routing would go with this, another idea is that a 2nd router connected up to their Sky router, however the risk of double NAT causes concern.

Why do you need a separate device and server? Can't you just generate an .ovpn or .conf file for the relative to use? Assuming you're using openvpn rather than IPSec or similar. Personally I'd just set up a WireGuard server on the USG and set the relative up as a peer. Quick and simple.

Soldato
Assuming you're using legitimate commercial streaming services.

Sometimes, you need a VPN even when using legitimate commercial streaming services. iPlayer when out of the country or simply on an IP range that is not linked to the UK for example (assuming you are a licence payer), or if you would simply prefer that any spurious accusation made didn’t allow world+dog to inspect your browser history for the last x years with near zero oversight of ‘reasonable’ cause.

Privacy is something that we are now required to protect ourselves, it’s not a right that isn’t implied and can’t be expected.

Soldato
Did I say you'd never have reason to use a VPN with a legitimate streaming service?

I was qualifying what gizmoy2k had stated. There are many people using VPNs with streaming services for reasons other that circumventing region limitations.

Soldato
Did I say you'd never have reason to use a VPN with a legitimate streaming service?

I was qualifying what gizmoy2k had stated. There are many people using VPNs with streaming services for reasons other that circumventing region limitations.

You inferred that if you use legitimate services you are unlikely to need a VPN on a streaming device. I pointed out common examples where legitimate use requires it. For reasons that I probably don’t need to elaborate on here any more than you do, i’m well aware of why people with streaming devices would wish to use a VPN - it’s not just those who need to avoid court ordered ISP level blocking.

Associate
Their view on it is that it's simpler! Doesn't really bother me how it gets done, they simply asked if it was possible and if so could it be done.

Soldato
As the original poster, I just want to clarify my reason to use a VPN service is thus: Virgin Media are becoming far too over-cautious with throttling my internet connection, for example when I use the iTunes Match service I often have to synchronise hundreds of gigabytes of music, Virgin Media simply (and stupidly) see a high traffic of music downloading and so throttle my connection. This happens with other similar legitimate services too.

That seems the opposite of what they say the current policy is.

https://assets.virginmedia.com/help..._Management_Key_Facts_Indicator_Unlimited.pdf

Soldato
Ha! Well, I can assure you in all honesty, they are talking balls!
Plus, I suspect that document may be out of date, quite a few of the services listed at the top are discontinued.

It’s the one they currently link to, they obviously show historic products as believe it or not they still had customers only a few years ago paying for the rental of actual telephones in some franchise areas.

Back
Top Bottom