VR... wait or invest now?

Soldato
Robo Recall is still listed as one of the free games.
@Jonnybmac you may want to get in touch with Oculus.

I remember talking with someone in Bigscreen who didn't get their games. Turned out he had to register or give a serial number from his controllers or something.

Associate
Mine was second hand so i doubt i will. The person i bought off said it was used once but couldn't get it to work which i believe as the controllers atill had plastic protection on them.

They do have stickers on the boxes such as oculus 100 credit, i did ask to transfer the account but she said there wasn't one so not sure.. I could try my luck and see if its all been redeemed but I would imagine they would want proof of purchase.
Either way i got it for a bargain £300 with 2 sensors, xbox remote etc so can't really grumble!
From what I've read robo recall is only a 3 hour game from start to finish which for me doesn't really justify £22 and the reason I've tried to download the mod verson. Will update if it works, I've had it on pause all night as I've been playing Eleven: Table tennis :D:D

Soldato
Robo Recall isn't about finishing the 'story', it's about the fun of playing it.

If it was used once, then I'm pretty sure she'd have to register an account when she set it up.
It's been a while since I did it, but...

Anyway, it's not the end of the world.

Associate
Robo Recall isn't about finishing the 'story', it's about the fun of playing it.

If it was used once, then I'm pretty sure she'd have to register an account when she set it up.
It's been a while since I did it, but...

Anyway, it's not the end of the world.

I would agree that she has registered an account and probably taken the free games herself, although shed of had to register a serial number unless it auto gives you them by the serial number as I noticed the oculus app shows the serial of the device you're using.

I may try my luck by ringing to ask where they are and say the box was gifted at xmas and I've only just upgraded my pc. Worth a shot I guess what's the worst that could happen.

So is the game very much repeatable?

Associate
Wait what? Are people really still banging this drum?

It's a victim of the user base being somewhat limited, the variety of games you'll get in VR isn't going to be similar to what you'd find on consoles or Steam.
I've tried lots of VR games, but the only one that keeps getting me to put the headset on is Beat Saber. I'm not saying that there aren't any good VR games, but if anyone is going to spend £400 on a headset, they should at least have some games they are interested in.

Soldato
I would agree that she has registered an account and probably taken the free games herself, although shed of had to register a serial number unless it auto gives you them by the serial number as I noticed the oculus app shows the serial of the device you're using.

I may try my luck by ringing to ask where they are and say the box was gifted at xmas and I've only just upgraded my pc. Worth a shot I guess what's the worst that could happen.

So is the game very much repeatable?

Yeah, worth a try if she won't play ball.

I'd say it's got a lot of replay value, but that depends on the individual. Perhaps there's only so much shooting, catching bullets and physically ripping apart robots and beating them with their own limbs one can take.
A lot of it's appeal is partly down to it being one of the first experiences you have when you get the Rift. It's impressive, and there's a moment in the intro especially that'll get you.

Not sure I'd pay £23 for it, though.

It's a victim of the user base being somewhat limited, the variety of games you'll get in VR isn't going to be similar to what you'd find on consoles or Steam.
Of course it can't compete with those playerbase numbers. However, to say that "anything multiplayer is basically dead" is simply not true. I've given examples to the contrary, and I'm sure there are more.

Associate
Maybe it's not exactly dead as in you can still find lobbies in a few games, but look at the current active player # for a few titles like Sprint Vector on Steam, even the more popular games like Onward aren't exactly swarming with players. Though I do agree that I should have expressed myself better and I think Oculus having their separate platform is also impacting those Steam numbers.

My 2p is that buyers should be aware of some of the current VR drawbacks, be it headsets or ecosystems, but after that if they're still interested then they'll most likely have a good experience.

Soldato
Those Onward numbers look fine to me. Sure, it's not in the thousands, but there's plenty enough to fill a whole bunch of lobbies.
As you say, those numbers don't take into account all the players that run it from the Oculus platform and play alongside Steam players.

Pavlov looks good to me as well.
RecRoom seems healthy.
VRchat may not quite be a game as such, but look at those numbers. Yeah, it's mostly weirdos in anime outfits, but still.
Bridge crew numbers aren't huge, but there's still plenty enough to fill lobbies and get a game.
Eleven: Table Tennis numbers aren't huge, but again, you won't fail to find a game.
Can't get numbers for Echo VR.

Then there are multplayer games that also have VR compatibility. Elite Dangerous, flight and racing sims for example.

I think the issue is that a few of the games you like aren't showing too much life in multiplayer. I remember @DONOHUE07 having that issue with Bullets and More.

Other than that, I agree that it really does help if you have a particular gaming interest and understand the drawbacks when it comes to VR.

Last edited:
Associate
VRChat has the benefit of having a non-VR client too, which is probably the bulk of those numbers, but I concur with the other games, you'll usually find people to play with. The issue is the more niche games, you'll have to play them at peak hours if multiplayer is important.

I do also agree with what other people have said in this thread previously, for racing sims especially VR feels like a must buy right now. Played a lot of Dirt a while back without VR but it's a lot more fun with the headset on.

Soldato
Been looking at the current deal for the Oculus Rift kit with the Marvel game only £399. I'm seriously tempted although I've not spent anytime with VR but looking at the youtube videos I really want one. I don't think I can stretch to a Vive Pro but I do feel the Oculus Rift is the right decision for the cost and features.

My rig is: i5 4690k @3.50Ghz, 16GB RAM DDR3, Gigabyte Z97x-Gaming 3 M/B, Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB RAM (G1) Gaming 1. There is a downside, I'm maxed out on my USB ports and also have 3 monitors attached.

I guess I need adaptors and expansion cards to accommodate Oculus Rift so that adds to the cost.

EDIT: I primarily play FPS games

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah, you're going to need something like a Startech PEXUSB3S44V 4 port USB card. Have a look here for other recommendations and related USB cables.

Your PC is fine for most VR titles. It'll only struggle a little in some games when/if you want to add supersampling - especially race sims if they're your thing. I have a friend with a Rift and a 1060 and he's having a great time.

Soldato
The Rift will need a USB3 and HDMI connection for the headset and then a USB2 or 3 port for each sensor / camera, I use USB3 for my sensors but some folks on here have them working on USB2 I believe.

Soldato
Yeah, you're going to need something like a Startech PEXUSB3S44V 4 port USB card. Have a look here for other recommendations and related USB cables.

Your PC is fine for most VR titles. It'll only struggle a little in some games when/if you want to add supersampling - especially race sims if they're your thing. I have a friend with a Rift and a 1060 and he's having a great time.
The Rift will need a USB3 and HDMI connection for the headset and then a USB2 or 3 port for each sensor / camera, I use USB3 for my sensors but some folks on here have them working on USB2 I believe.
I've run them on both USB2 & 3 (currently on USB3 with the Startech card) and haven't noticed any difference tbh. This is with two sensors doing 360 tracking.

Thanks for your feedback, I'll need to crack open the case and see how much clearance I have to add the pci-e card, damn video cards are massive these days.

Found something on the web which mentioned don't try converting a DisplayPort to HDMI, so will need to do some re-organisation of my current monitor connections.

Soldato
Thanks for your feedback, I'll need to crack open the case and see how much clearance I have to add the pci-e card, damn video cards are massive these days.

Found something on the web which mentioned don't try converting a DisplayPort to HDMI, so will need to do some re-organisation of my current monitor connections.

You can use a display port to HDMI adapter.

Here is one recommended by Hyperseven

-I use, 'CSL - 4K Ultra HD Displayport to HDMI adapter with audio transmission' ;) for my Rift. £8.99.

Soldato
Yay !!!!!! I am in the club

I am the proud owner of the Marvel bundle rift, it arrived yesterday. I had pre-ordered the cables and pci card so I was prepared for the product to arrive.

It’s taken a few hours to get up and running given everything requires a download.

Only done the basics so far need to pull down the heavy games today.

Associate
Yay !!!!!! I am in the club

I am the proud owner of the Marvel bundle rift, it arrived yesterday. I had pre-ordered the cables and pci card so I was prepared for the product to arrive.

It’s taken a few hours to get up and running given everything requires a download.

Only done the basics so far need to pull down the heavy games today.
Welcome to the matrix man!

Associate
Doesn't look too great the marvel one. I did download a free demo of Spider-Man thinking I'd be web slinging off buildings and was disappointed i couldn't, so looked at the marvel as a title i would habe expected it to happen (especially after playing echo vr) - doesn't seem it does you just have attack abilities.

Had a few friends over last night who were amazed at the vr. Took them through first contact, always gets people giggling. Then had some games of eleven: table tennis and gun club vr then onto everyday golf vr. The golf one seemed a bit glitchy for the price i paid for it, it's froze twice now, once testing and once last night whereby you can move about and swing at the ball but the ball wont move it's like it's not there. Good game but disappointing to be fair. Might request a refund on it then purchase it again when its on offer at a lower price than £22 as 2/2 games with bugs isn't worth full price.

A good free game is rec room although annoying hearing kids on the other end of mics. It's kinda like roblox but a vr version, and I've been playing the battlegrounds one a bit where you drop out, have to hang glide dowm, fimd guns and ammo and stay alive, which is quite different for vr and worth a download just cause it's free.

Back
Top Bottom