VR... wait or invest now?

Soldato
I'd hang on. I've previously posted in the PSVR thread after giving each game a blast incl. Far Point, Gran Turismo and PSVR Worlds. It's a nice experience but I just can't get over how bad the res is. I think I've bothered with my headset 3 times since I got it at the beginning of July. Most recently after updating Wipeout. It is good but again, the res is shocking, especially while we're all just getting used to 4K gaming, albeit upscaled in most cases.

I read somewhere Sony and Google are working on higher res displays but the former will rely on the PS5 for pixel pushing grunt.

Associate
The Rift has full room scale but only comes with 2 sensors in the box, for a seamless experience you would want to get a third sensor so you would have 2 in front of you and one behind you.

Soldato
Vives tracking is better and more accurate, OR is almost as good but needs usb cables across the room if you want room scale.
So in this case the Vive is better right? What about games like PC2 and Elite? I currently play these in 4k so im hoping for not too much of a res hit that will turn me right off

Soldato
So in this case the Vive is better right? What about games like PC2 and Elite? I currently play these in 4k so im hoping for not too much of a res hit that will turn me right off
The resolution is lower, however the immersion makes up for it - you can also supersample which makes the resolution hit lower if your GPU can handle it.

Associate

For PC2 & Elite - tracking will not be an issue because you will be seated. Only one sensor really needed and tracking is fine. Resolution in VR vs 4K there is no comparison, if you love that 4k eye candy and can't play without it you will be disappointed with the resolution in VR, no point beating around the bush there. However, the first time you reach out expecting to grab a control in game only to realise it's not there, that's when you'll understand the "immersion" factor which makes up for it.

Soldato
Vives tracking is better and more accurate, OR is almost as good but needs usb cables across the room if you want room scale.

A guy called doc something or other did measurements. The rift with 4 sensors has better tracking than the Vive. There is way less jitter.

Soldato
PCars and Elite are two great titles for VR.

I dont get it when people say they have tried it and then say a 4K monitor is better, dont get me wrong a bad VR setup will not be an enjoyable experience, things can be out of focus, text impossible to read etc but these can all be tuned and once setup properly there is no comparison.

Associate
Out of the box, the Vive is better at room scale, but by adding a 3rd sensor (and usb extensions) the rift then equals the Vive in terms of room scale tracking. The Rifts controllers are streets ahead of the Vive Wands, and the rift also comes with 5 or 6 games, including Robo Recall and if you buy the Marvel edition it comes with the Marvel VR game. The Rift also Now has the Rift Core 2.0 (by opting into the beta) I couldn’t use a VR headset without the Oculus desktop feature now. Also the Oculus has the better VR titles, as Oculus funds there own games, and oculus users get access to the entire steam VR library..
For me the Rift is by far the better package.

I can’t understand why anyone would buy a Vive over a Rift, but everyone’s welcome to do what they want with there own money.

Wether you buy a Rift a Vive or a WMR headset, enjoy your purchase and welcome to the future

Soldato
I was basing it on my experience of owning a vive with 2 base stations and a rift with 2 cameras.

Yeah, it's definitely better than two sensors. I was replying because I read the guys other thread and knew he was looking at a large area, so he will need 4 sensors.

Soldato
Out of the box, the Vive is better at room scale, but by adding a 3rd sensor (and usb extensions) the rift then equals the Vive in terms of room scale tracking. The Rifts controllers are streets ahead of the Vive Wands, and the rift also comes with 5 or 6 games, including Robo Recall and if you buy the Marvel edition it comes with the Marvel VR game. The Rift also Now has the Rift Core 2.0 (by opting into the beta) I couldn’t use a VR headset without the Oculus desktop feature now. Also the Oculus has the better VR titles, as Oculus funds there own games, and oculus users get access to the entire steam VR library..
For me the Rift is by far the better package.

I can’t understand why anyone would buy a Vive over a Rift, but everyone’s welcome to do what they want with there own money.

Wether you buy a Rift a Vive or a WMR headset, enjoy your purchase and welcome to the future
Cheers all. Yes I have opened up a new thread so any answers you might have it would be great to see them there. Thanks for the help so far

Soldato
OP
I’ve ordered a psvr for now and will pick us a PS4 pro, if I enjoy it.. I’ll pick up an oculus when I get a 2080/1080ti.

I do have quite a small space and a 65 inch tv on a wall which is just screaming to get smashed, hence why I’m a bit hesitant to dip straight into the rift.

The PS4 is also a quite easy to move comPared to my heavy ass pc. However long term wise the plan is to get a rift but I’m not sure if I will need a new processor too 4670k at present.

My logic is psvr is pickup and play vr system I can move into any room easily whilst my oculus/pc will be much more painful to setup and move but ultimately better.

Soldato
OP
So... I played superhot for about 4 minutes and I'm SOLD. This is on PSVR.
My mum played it and now shes sold too lol...

I think I will need to hold off the rift until I get a bigger space to play. at the moment my playspace is too small and I face a 65 inch LED TV which is just waiting to get smashed.

The sense of immersion is simply ridiculous. I can't wait to play more titles.

Soldato
You can set up visible boundary markers in the Oculus app to stop you smashing walls and TV's etc.
Basically, you can have the floor space showing and/or the same for the walls, but they'll be invisible until you get close.

Soldato
So... I played superhot for about 4 minutes and I'm SOLD. This is on PSVR.
My mum played it and now shes sold too lol...

I think I will need to hold off the rift until I get a bigger space to play. at the moment my playspace is too small and I face a 65 inch LED TV which is just waiting to get smashed.

The sense of immersion is simply ridiculous. I can't wait to play more titles.

See, I told you. You can't compare normal gaming to VR gaming. Until you try on the headset and get to experience it you just don't know what it will be like. Reading reviews, watching videos etc doesn't even come close to describing what gaming is like in VR.

Associate
You can set up visible boundary markers in the Oculus app to stop you smashing walls and TV's etc.
Basically, you can have the floor space showing and/or the same for the walls, but they'll be invisible until you get close.

Well, the walls tend to mostly be a problem in games where you're moving quickly ... and when you're moving quickly the virtual guardian wall doesn't help :)

Back
Top Bottom