VR... wait or invest now?

Soldato
Hasn't helped me at all ... when I'm playing something where I'm wildly swinging around I don't tend to look at the floor much :)
Fair enough.
The only game like that for me is Echo VR. I bought it and can't play it due to a light fitting in my playspace that would get smashed to bits... I've already broken it once playing table tennis :D

Soldato
Hasn't helped me at all ... when I'm playing something where I'm wildly swinging around I don't tend to look at the floor much :)

get a mat or something on the floor, so you know when you step off it you are reaching the edges of your play space and approaching danger!!!

Soldato
OP
Hit my TV today, its still standing/working. I think my playspace is sadly too small for proper VR which is a bit of a bummer.

Sadly I'm also very much so now immersed in the tech and will look to buy a GTX 2080 + Oculus rift [or Vive] in the next month or so.

I think I'm edging towards the Rift and VorpX. Its really hard to describe the ridiculous immersion VR gives compared to 2D gaming. Sadly I think my space constraints means I can't fully realise the potential of room-scale or tracking as I'm constantly worried about banging into something.

I'm looking for a house and one of the pre-requesities is a room I can dedicate to VR hahaha.

Associate
get a mat or something on the floor, so you know when you step off it you are reaching the edges of your play space and approaching danger!!!

Nah, my play space is slightly too small. Left and right is just about okay, back and forth it's too tight and easy to hit something. And that's when standing still.

Soldato
OP
Playing superhot... had to walk off a ledge/building.

I bottled it.
Couldn't do it. Had to slip off the headset and walk off it whilst looking at the TV. then slipped it back on mid-fall.

I've jumped off a million buildings in flat-gaming with EPIC, phenomenal, BEAUTIFUL visuals and effects.. and never felt a single thing.

I just WISH Nintendo could get on the VR Hype train. They would absolutely destroy it. Sadly im 99% sure it won't happen for 5-10 years.

Associate
I'd wait for true 2nd gen headsets, current headsets all have their issues.

The Rift was cool at first, but not it's just sitting collecting dust. I'd really like a headset with a higher FOV & resolution.

Soldato
I'd wait for true 2nd gen headsets, current headsets all have their issues.

The Rift was cool at first, but not it's just sitting collecting dust. I'd really like a headset with a higher FOV & resolution.

I'm having heaps of fun with my Oculus Rift and Oculus go. I think this cartoon sums up the situation with jumping into VR pretty well:

Associate
Ha ha yep that cartoon perfectly sums it up.

I bought my rift solely for sim racing but I enjoy all sorts of games on it now, amazing bit of kit.

Yes gen 2 will be even better but why not buy now and upgrade later......missing out on the biggest thing in gaming I can ever remember happening.

Associate
I think buyers need to be aware of the issues current gen headsets have, some of the big immersion breakers for me on the Rift have been the low FOV, godrays and screendoor effect, but if you have a few titles that interest you then might as well grab a Rift or WMR on sale.
And one more limitation is that there aren't that many amazing current gen titles and anything multiplayer is basically dead, reason why I'm mentioning that you should have some games you're interested in.

Soldato
Anything multiplayer is dead? I think Onward, Pavlov, Echo Arena, Elite, Rec Room and any of the big race sims would disagree.
But yes, I do agree that it's better if you have core interests like sims or shooters for example, otherwise the novelty may wear off sooner, rather than later.

As for those immersion breakers. Personally, I had low expectations and ended up pleasantly surprised. The positives outweighed the negatives and still do over a year later.

Associate
I don't get very much time with mine, maybe a couple of hours a week. But pretty much every time I put it on I'm blown away by it........I'm in the ******* game lol.

No gpu upgrade or new monitor or cpu upgrade will ever give you a completely new experience like that.

Associate
Just got an oculus rift and wow, mind blown.

Was a bit sceptical at first but just setting up the rift and playing through the little "first contact" demo was brilliant. Watch the trailer for first contact if you want to see immersion of vr!

I've just downloaded skyrim ajd I've been playing gun club vr, which reminds of of time crisis only 100x better. I just love the way you can twist your hand and see all the details of each gun. Amazing piece of kit.

Love how you can make your hand react in certain ways with the oculus controls, really simple and easy to get the hang of.

Best money I've spent in a long time. Never had a smile off my face all day

D3K

D3K

Soldato
I'm having heaps of fun with my Oculus Rift and Oculus go. I think this cartoon sums up the situation with jumping into VR pretty well:

Oh the irony, it is going to take a lifetime for things to actually get where they need to be. :p

Soldato
I'm just downloading that through the epic games installer via the modding bit. Does this give you the full game? From what I have read it's a free way of getting the game rather than purchasing it from the store?

Use to be a freebie via Oculus Home, I'm guessing that it no longer is then.

Back
Top Bottom