VW emissions recall, anyone had it?

Associate
since my last post VW have confirmed that the egr valve and cooler are one item. so its all gonna need replacing. The dealer are still waiting to hear from VW 'head office' about who's paying. we have a courtesy van from them at the moment, so we are keeping that till we get our van fixed. And obviously gonna hold out till it gets done for free. Also gonna be a while before we buy another VW. Only a matter of time till resale values get noticeably hit.

Associate
My passat was in for service and MOT last week. i had been round it the weekend before with a fine toothcomb. looking for any possible MOT failure items tyres lights brake pipes etc... i took the car in to my local dealer having a good idea it was in good condition.

no problem the car passed MOT although the emissions were a lot higher compared to last year. but we all know that is due to the emissions software. the service was just Oil filter and pollen filter this time, the MOT and service were on a service plan so no actual cost at time of collection. however they did the usual visual check list. and presented it to me when i collected the car. it read. front disks pitted and badly scorred. front tyres close to legal limit, brake fluid needs changing, and timing belt needs replacing (overdue) total cost for the listed items was £1290.86.

i walked out and took the service manager with me. i took out my tyre dept guage from the glovebox and the tyres they had listed as close to legal limit (1.6mm) they measured up at 5mm. so how close do they need to be. then i pointed out that the front disks look fine and not badly pitted. then i opened the bonnet and showed him the sticker on the top of the engine showing date and miles when timing belt was done.. OK it is 4 years since brake fluid was changed, but seeing how VW change it i will tackle that one myself.

over a grands worth of work quoted for whereas actual work that would be advisable to have done is at VW's cost £58.00 for the brake fluid change.

as Becca Hall says in a previous post owners need to be on the lookout, and dont take th dealers first guess, have another garage look at it if you dont have the knowledge yourself!!

regards
jerry

Soldato
Re
My passat was in for service and MOT last week. i had been round it the weekend before with a fine toothcomb. looking for any possible MOT failure items tyres lights brake pipes etc... i took the car in to my local dealer having a good idea it was in good condition.

no problem the car passed MOT although the emissions were a lot higher compared to last year. but we all know that is due to the emissions software. the service was just Oil filter and pollen filter this time, the MOT and service were on a service plan so no actual cost at time of collection. however they did the usual visual check list. and presented it to me when i collected the car. it read. front disks pitted and badly scorred. front tyres close to legal limit, brake fluid needs changing, and timing belt needs replacing (overdue) total cost for the listed items was £1290.86.

i walked out and took the service manager with me. i took out my tyre dept guage from the glovebox and the tyres they had listed as close to legal limit (1.6mm) they measured up at 5mm. so how close do they need to be. then i pointed out that the front disks look fine and not badly pitted. then i opened the bonnet and showed him the sticker on the top of the engine showing date and miles when timing belt was done.. OK it is 4 years since brake fluid was changed, but seeing how VW change it i will tackle that one myself.

over a grands worth of work quoted for whereas actual work that would be advisable to have done is at VW's cost £58.00 for the brake fluid change.

as Becca Hall says in a previous post owners need to be on the lookout, and dont take th dealers first guess, have another garage look at it if you dont have the knowledge yourself!!

regards
jerry
Report them. Hate it when they try it on.

Soldato
So a newish case against VW for the "fix" wrecking engines. Just keeps getting better for them lol. You know what they say, cheaters never prosper :/

If I still owned a VAG car I'd be locking off the OBD2 port with one of those security boxes. So they don't sneak it on during a service.

Last edited:
Associate
Just been told they have found faults with the car so can't do the software fix, one of the glowplugs has failed and they recommend replacing all four £91 each to do.

Two tyres are on the limit as well, which we knew about and already booked in for replacements.

So will get local independent garage to do glow plugs and tyres then see if can book the car in again for software fix.

Matt

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Don't do it!!
This.

Why bother? If your car is running fine, don't waste your time. After all, you're not legally obliged to rectify their fraudulent vehicles are you?

My A6 seems to be running fine actually. I still think fuel consumption has crept up a wee bit but it's not the 10-15% I had originally thought :p
Engine seems rougher than a bag of spanners being gargled in Thor's throat, but hey ho..

Associate
An update on my broken vw caddy.
VW finally fixed it for free.
So if you have a egr valve go down shortly after having the 'fix' make sure you hold out to get it replaced for free.
In our case some of the waiting was probably to do with them running out of replacements. Also the valve failed within a week of the 'fix' which makes it harder for them to wriggle out of.

For anyone still considering getting there car done, just consider who benifits from the fix and who's shouldering the risk.

Caporegime
If it aint broke dont fix it, would be my view. Seems to offer no positives for the owner at all.

Apart from you will have to have the fix done, to pass the new MOT diesel emissions tests that will be coming in from later this year, early next.

Caporegime
Apart from you will have to have the fix done, to pass the new MOT diesel emissions tests that will be coming in from later this year, early next.

Proof, source?

The original problem detected that the car was being put through an efficiency AND emissions test on a rolling road, under certain lab conditions, not just simply being revved when stationary for an emissions test.

This should make zero difference.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Mine can't even be tested for emissions because it's done in neutral and there's a 2500 RPM limit on the A6... Tester said government rules and off he went to the next test :rolleyes:

Soldato

No you wont. They dont back date them, only from that date onwards. Otherwise all cars without dpf and cats would fail.

Caporegime
No you wont. They dont back date them, only from that date onwards. Otherwise all cars without dpf and cats would fail.

One of the main focus points of the new test is to find cars where DPF has been taken off or gutted.

So yes the test will be back dated to when DPF's were mandatory fit to all new cars.

Proof, source?

The original problem detected that the car was being put through an efficiency AND emissions test on a rolling road, under certain lab conditions, not just simply being revved when stationary for an emissions test.

This should make zero difference.

I agree, yes the Euro emissions ratings are determined based on a rolling road test that sees the vehicle accelerate very gently, and the current MOT test is done stationary and is only looking for excess particulates or soot.

However the revised MOT test will take detailed measurements at different speeds and loads – tests that seek to recreate realistic driving habits.
Vehicles that emit excess levels of pollutants would need to be tuned or repaired before they passed the MOT test, this test includes CO2 and NOX tests on diesels.

So the VW "cheat" where emissions are kept low in slow acceleration lab based tests, will not work when car is undergoing the new MOT test with varying speeds and loads, so you will need the fix to pass the test, and you will need to repair or replace your gutted or removed DPF as well.

The equipment and procedures are all ready in place for rollout, it just needs the Department for Transport and the DVSA to say when, they originally said they wanted it all in place "by 2018" , but as part of a revised Roadworthiness Directive which came into force from May 2017, requires an updated MOT in force before May 2018, I can see it being end of this year early next.

Soldato
One of the main focus points of the new test is to find cars where DPF has been taken off or gutted.

So yes the test will be back dated to when DPF's were mandatory fit to all new cars.

I agree, yes the Euro emissions ratings are determined based on a rolling road test that sees the vehicle accelerate very gently, and the current MOT test is done stationary and is only looking for excess particulates or soot.

However the revised MOT test will take detailed measurements at different speeds and loads – tests that seek to recreate realistic driving habits.
Vehicles that emit excess levels of pollutants would need to be tuned or repaired before they passed the MOT test, this test includes CO2 and NOX tests on diesels.

So the VW "cheat" where emissions are kept low in slow acceleration lab based tests, will not work when car is undergoing the new MOT test with varying speeds and loads, so you will need the fix to pass the test, and you will need to repair or replace your gutted or removed DPF as well.

The equipment and procedures are all ready in place for rollout, it just needs the Department for Transport and the DVSA to say when, they originally said they wanted it all in place "by 2018" , but as part of a revised Roadworthiness Directive which came into force from May 2017, requires an updated MOT in force before May 2018, I can see it being end of this year early next.

What has that got to do with the recall? As far as I'm aware they aren't gutting or removing the dpf.

Caporegime
What has that got to do with the recall? As far as I'm aware they aren't gutting or removing the dpf.

You need to have the recall fix done, be it hardware or software to bring the emissions levels back into where they need to be to pass the new MOT emissions test.

Currently with or without the fix cars will pass the current MOT test as that only looks for soot and particulates, not actual emission levels like the new test will.

Back
Top Bottom