VW Scirocco

Associate
Do like a Scirocco, just sold the GF's 2.0 TSi on a 58 plate with 92k miles for £5k.

It was however a little tatty (scuffs etc).

Great car - nothing went wrong although the GT pack (leather, turbine alloys etc) is essential as is the pano roof and parking sensors on the rear (hers didn't have the latter) the rear visibility isn't all that, especially with the factory tinted windows!

Associate
Try driving one without, the car is a squashed golf so has fewer windows and far less light in the cabin. Feels very claustrophobic/dark without it IMO

I've owned one without and didn't find it a problem, but I suppose I don't suffer from Claustrophobia :D

Still..don't class it as essential unless VW put a Claustrophobia warning on the brochure lol

Soldato
Try driving one without, the car is a squashed golf so has fewer windows and far less light in the cabin. Feels very claustrophobic/dark without it IMO

Do they create additional noise when its raining or distracting car/street light reflections at night ? (agoraphobia with, is what I wondered)

Man of Honour
My Skoda has a panoramic roof - I love it. Makes the cabin very airy and light feeling, it's like having a glass sunroof only better.

Don't notice any rain noise or reflection issues.

Associate
I'd avoid the 2.0 TSI as fitted to non-R models due to the cam chain tensioner issue. Without a warranty worse case scenario is a new engine. Diesel is noisy and not particularly quick and also implicated in the emissions scandal.

A few posts above mentioned the Leon FR 184 and this is a far better shout for 13k ish. You can actually bag a 30k 63-64 plate for under £11k. It's based on the MK7 Golf platform, rather than the MK5 underneath the Scirocco, the infotainment and tech is much better. Most have LED lights, Nav and DAB (tech pack). They also do it in a 1.8tsi 180 which isn't entirely unpleasant if diesel isn't wanted.

Not sure what the Scirocco does better than the Leon other than the VW badge? Neither are particularly exciting FWD hatches.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I drove an 11-plate GTi today and while it was a nice place to be, it didnt feel a nicer place to be than the Scirocco and finding one with my spec and in 3-door seems wholly implausible. So that’s out.

When it comes to the Leon, I find it an ugly car, especially inside. A friend has just bought a 184 and I don’t like being behind the wheel - the red accents and lighting everywhere don’t do it for me. Too angry.

Apart from this chain issue with the TSI, which surely can’t be nearly as bad as is made out, I think the Scirocco just works.

What else is there for £13k that’s a nice place to sit and a pleasant experience to drive?

Soldato
To be honest, it sounds like you already know you want one and aren't likely to be swayed. They're not bad cars providing you accept you're paying more for it than you would the equivalent Golf, Leon etc.

For what it's worth, I think most VWs use red instrument lighting now and the doorcard lights on the Leon are only red in Sport mode, and you can turn them off anyway.

Soldato
OP
I’m swayed towards the Scirocco as I’ve driven one, enjoyed my time in it and like the exterior and interior. Price is what it is, for the most part. Interior quality and comfort is very important to me and the VW offerings feel right.

My impression of the Leon my friend got was that everything was red. Lighting, displays, stitching, etc. Felt like a very odd place to be when driving it in the dark and not something I’d get used to.

Associate
I drove an 11-plate GTi today and while it was a nice place to be, it didnt feel a nicer place to be than the Scirocco and finding one with my spec and in 3-door seems wholly implausible. So that’s out.

When it comes to the Leon, I find it an ugly car, especially inside. A friend has just bought a 184 and I don’t like being behind the wheel - the red accents and lighting everywhere don’t do it for me. Too angry.

Apart from this chain issue with the TSI, which surely can’t be nearly as bad as is made out, I think the Scirocco just works.

What else is there for £13k that’s a nice place to sit and a pleasant experience to drive?

I can only go off my Skoda experience - my 59 Octavia 2.0 TSI never had it in the 35k or so of ownership (50-85k) there were plenty of documented examples on the Skoda forum. All depends on how risk averse you are, do you really want to drop 13k or so on a car, to find yourself looking at a 4 figure bill a few months down the line to replace the engine? Appreciate this is a worst case scenario, but it can happen and has happened to plenty of other 2.0 TSI owners.

A nice E92 3 series coupe should be achievable with 13k? It's a proper coupe, unlike the Scirocco. Plenty of decent engine options provided you go 6 cylinders i.e. 325i/d upwards, they all have xenons, non leather is rare, Pro Nav on the newer (mostly 09 onwards) models is nice, plus RWD. My LCI 330D was difficult to fault in any way.

Soldato
If you buy a 2L TSI that is still on the original chain and tensioner budget to get it replaced with the latest revisions that should prevent any further problems at around £500 a small price to pay for peace of mind.

Soldato
OP
A nice E92 3 series coupe should be achievable with 13k? It's a proper coupe, unlike the Scirocco. Plenty of decent engine options provided you go 6 cylinders i.e. 325i/d upwards, they all have xenons, non leather is rare, Pro Nav on the newer (mostly 09 onwards) models is nice, plus RWD. My LCI 330D was difficult to fault in any way.
You make a good point there - an E92 coupe has been on my radar for a fair few months but I can never seen to find anything that fits my budget which is also worth having.

A Scirocco will most likely be a fanciful stop-gap along the way, which might scratch an itch.

Soldato
Good vieo, but if the R is only a couple of grand more than a gti, why does anyone bother getting a gti?
That’s the thing the GTI has sort of lost its appeal to most because on one side you have the GTD crowd who think it’s a hot hatch and just as good as the GTI with it mega diesel torque while still returning good mpg and then you have the R which has been available on some superb lease deals on and off over the years often working out cheaper than your average GTI or GTD deal making a 30k car available to the masses who have a spare £250 per month. It’s no wonder the GTD and R’s I see on the road out number the GTI’s about 10-1

Back
Top Bottom