VW Scirocco

Soldato
OP
Drove a Scirocco R at the weekend and really enjoyed it (BMW is out of the equation) but with the prices for a good one seeming to creep upwards of my initial budget, my eyes are now drawn to the Golf R.

What am I looking at to get me in a good Mk6? Would need to be a 3-door, which seem to be increasingly hard to find, plus I'm looking for some sensible extras. And if the car doesn't come with DAB, is that easy to retrofit?

Soldato
OP
Hence asking what I'd be looking at to get myself a good one.

For clarity, it would appear that I'm looking for an E92 that someone doesn't want to sell. The combination of age, mileage and spec appears to be extremely hard to find - plenty of E93 options, but I'd want a coupe.

On the Scirocco front, the lack of TSIs with the right spec had got me thinking about the R and last week a visitor to our office arrived in one, which seemed a happy coincidence. Fortunately they were kind enough to not only show me around the car but let me take it out for a spin, which I thoroughly enjoyed. But when I started looking at an R, the price was creeping up and up into Golf R territory.

Can I stretch the budget a bit? Yes, but I've not got bottomless pockets. £15k is doable, but past that and I'm dipping in to savings that need to stay saved.

Caporegime
Right...but simply looking at r's on AT shows they start at 20k. 50% over your budget. It's not a question of a good one. That's the cheapest one. It took 10 seconds on AT to establish that.

Oops I'm talking waffle, they start at 15k for dogs. Probably 19k before you're in to good territory.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Which is why I asked what it would take to get me in a good one - if I knew the answer simply from looking on AT, I wouldn't be asking, would I?

As to your point, what makes this a dog?

Soldato
OP
You're talking over £20k for a Mk7 with anything approaching a decent spec. Unless you're seeing something I'm not?

Associate
Dynamic Chassis was standard across the range.

Must have is rear parking sensors with the visibility so crap out the rear.

Didn't really love the DSG box in mine to be honest unless you're giving it the beans 24/7 it's great lol.

Stay away from the 1.4's (had a lot of turbo issues I believe)

Horror story's regarding 2.0 tsi and failing chain tensioners, (but I think they were few and far between)

2.0 Tdi lump is affected in the Volkswagen diesel scandal LOL

Happy hunting! :cool:

I own a Diesel lump Scirocco and I love it. Yes, the scandal is of minor concern, but then I don't commute into major cities on a daily basis. Yes, I brace myself when the tax will increase but worst-case scenario - I will buy another car. Still going to keep my Scirocco though. :)

Do I have buyer’s remorse? Simply put - No as for my needs it fits the bill. With reference to performance, you know your car and its limitations, there are cars which are much quicker. So what? Nought to sixty/hundred mean nothing to me as it rarely counts in daily driving. As long as it has enough power to overtake, can cruise comfortably and be entertaining - is enough.

I don't have a rear parking sensors, never encountered an issue, just common sense.

People rave about lowering and larger wheels, undeniably they can look good on the right car, although a mate of mine has a 3-series coupe with 18" alloys, cracked two wheels within 6 months due to potholes.

Soldato
OP
I'm back on the Scirocco R as I've found two within my budget that look very good indeed. Both are 62 plates, both have full VWSH with all the essential work already done and have all the spec I need.

On the subject of DAB, both cars come with RNS510 units... would it be a case of swapping said unit out for something that has a DAB tuner and using a stick-on DAB aerial? And if you connect an iPod/iPhone to the MDI interface, does that give you full control through the headunit/steering wheel?

And finally; warranty. Is it worth going for the VW Extended Warranty, looking elsewhere or not bothering at all?

Soldato
OP
The road trip starts in a few hours - forty miles to the first one, then fifty miles on to the second. Only difference between the two is the colour and the mileage, both have the same spec on paper and are privately owned.

Any last-minute tips on what to look out for? Both sellers seem genuine over the phone and have plenty of paperwork for me to flick through.

Soldato
OP
Well, VWFS have frustrated me today. Spoke to them three times this week to confirm that in the event of a car still having outstanding finance, I could be added as a third-party and then pay the finance off myself. Which seemed the sensible option.

Today, it was a battle to get added as a third-party, at least until the seller and myself spoke to someone who knew what they were doing, but apparently their cashiers don’t work weekends so they cannot confirm receipt of any money until 9am on Monday.

The car ticked all the boxes (was the second one in the end) but I can’t do anything until Monday. At least that gives me time to sleep on things though.

Back
Top Bottom