Warhammer 40,000: SPACE MARINE 2

Yep, everyone who had it got updated to the Anniversary for free; so get the soundtrack, all the DLC etc. This happened a few months ago.

To be honest, it holds up reasonably well on a 1440p screen even now :) Certainly better than some games from that era ~2011

The best thing about GW games is often just the cut scenes… Having said that, SM2 looks pretty damn good.

The only problem I have with this game is that when I read 40k: Space Marine, it immediately makes me think of epic scale Warhammer (showing my age - Magnus the Red ftw!) and then I'm disappointed this isn't an attempt to bring that to a computer screen.

But I do remember enjoying the original game.

The only problem I have with this game is that when I read 40k: Space Marine, it immediately makes me think of epic scale Warhammer (showing my age - Magnus the Red ftw!) and then I'm disappointed this isn't an attempt to bring that to a computer screen.

But I do remember enjoying the original game.

One day.....one day.

Final liberation was as close as we came although there is a believe a similar game out, but never tried it.

This looks great. I never played the first but this trailer has sparked something with me big time. I had some crappily painted minis as a kid, never bothered with actual battles, although I did play dawn of war multiplayer like 16 years ago... but i've just found myself spending hours listening to lore recaps/explainations. I forgot just how brutally dark it is :cool:

Oh yes! And that is one of the things that makes it so great. That and it has been built on for decades at this point. It is still full of satiricism and references, and sometimes bad writing or pure stupidity; but at the same time full of depth and detail, and huge amounts of lore. A commonly joked thing is:

"Would you like to visit your Sci-fi universe"
Most Sci Fi - Fandoms ie Star Wars, Star Trek: Yes, please!
The 40K Fandom: "I'll pass..."

What do you expect from the universe which spawned the term "grimdark". Also, there is an absolute lack of a 'good guy' in the universe, which makes it fun. NO faction is 'good'. Even the poster boy Space Marines, though varying shades of grey, are still absolutely more bad guys than good; it's just a case of relative morality.

So very, very few good video games set in the universe (many are just not very good, or pure license tie-ins in the worse sense of the word), but Space Marine was one of the few that really did capture the spirit and depth of the universe.

With the universe seeming to be heading to higher budget video games, TV etc, hopefully in coming years we will start to get better and better content, and if Space Marine 2 does well, there is no reason to think there won't be more!! It is absolutely a setting which can lend itself well to many, many types and genres of game.

PPS, if you've started to dig into the lore and world and are feeling more invested; the original game is still worth a play albeit not perfect, and cd keys are very very cheap now if you look around (~£2). It's not the BEST game, but it does capture the feel of the universe very, very well, and there was obviously a lot of love involved in making it.

The fact that Saber have not tried to shy away from that and instantly got an 18 rating slammed onto the trailer for Space Marine 2 is also a good sign. This is NOT a family friendly universe if you start to dig deep lol

Last edited:
I do think spacehulk deathwing did a very fine job of brining a sense of terminator combat to the screen

it just got a bit stale a bit quick

Dawn of War is still one of my favourite RTS games (2 & 3 not so much...) enjoyed the first Space Marine in a "brain dead hack and slash/shooter with lots of big explosions and pretty set pieces" kind of way, so hoping this is more of the same :D

Made me smirk.

Looks a lot like the first one but 10 years of graphical sexyness built on top.
They just need to make a full length CGI movie already. A good one.

Dawn of War is still one of my favourite RTS games (2 & 3 not so much...) enjoyed the first Space Marine in a "brain dead hack and slash/shooter with lots of big explosions and pretty set pieces" kind of way, so hoping this is more of the same :D

dow 1 was fantastic. 2 just wasn't my type of game and dow 3 just doesn't exist.

might even replay some dow1 over the Christmas break :)

I still believe DoW 1 Dark Crusade was the pinacle of the series.
Yeah never recapture them heights. Loved the game and really represented the 40k universe and the different armies well. DoW 3 was meant to move us to that direction and ended up being back to a watered down copy of the original.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom