Warhammer 40,000: SPACE MARINE 2

Looking forward to this as well. Going to be interesting to see how Clive Standen does as the VA. They announced a couple months ago that Mark Strong wouldn't be reprising the role for Titus.

dow 1 was fantastic. 2 just wasn't my type of game and dow 3 just doesn't exist.

might even replay some dow1 over the Christmas break :)
I tried that after playing a lot of darktide over xmas, DOW doesnt like modern PCs much, cant do widescreen and a bunch of other issues, tired messing around with it but just gave up. Could do with a remaster. like you i wasnt as big a fan of DOW2 and i hated DOW3.

Considering the rich lore, why do most the games use the same boring blue marines.
Ultramarines have been the poster boy Space Marines since the early days, some of the early writers clearly favoured them.

In recent years we have seen a push towards showing some of the other known groups but the boys in blue are still go to as the most recognisable.

There's also the fact this game is a sequel to Space Marine 1 so the main character is preset, and that game came out of a different era of 40k where the other chapters did not get as much public recognition. I mean that one came out 12 years ago, so work probably started on it best part of 15 years ago, and the public face of Space Marines back then was 100% Ultramarines.

I suspect it will change in time especially if the cinematic universe takes off.

Last edited:
I don’t think the focus has moved away from Ultramarines at all. The lore in 40k is rich as you say Noxia, and a key theme running through is that there aren’t really any “good” guys in WH40k. The Imperials, whilst human and the most relatable, and some what fascist-based, which adds to the grimdark world of the universe. The UM have been used as the face of the Space Marines because they’re themed around the nobility of the Roman Empire.

They fight because they believe their cause is a true and worthy one. They fight to protect the people. They maintain integrity in everything they do. So in a universe full of “not-quite-good-guys”, the Ultramarines are much easier to sell, and totally appeal to the younger generation looking to get in to Warhammer too.

I have done a few lore dives and it just seems there are some really interesting chapters etc that could be explored. I've forgotten the names of course but there are quite a few shrouded in mystery (black crusaders?)
Hell, why can't we play as chaos, as MoNkeE said, there aren't really any good guys.

I have done a few lore dives and it just seems there are some really interesting chapters etc that could be explored. I've forgotten the names of course but there are quite a few shrouded in mystery (black crusaders?)
Hell, why can't we play as chaos, as MoNkeE said, there aren't really any good guys.

I think, while there aren't really* any "good" guys, there are some pretty clear "bad" guys, e.g. chaos, tyranids, necrons (although I guess from their POV it's not so clear cut :p).

Be nice to be able to play as the Space Wolves though, always liked their colour scheme, and the whole badass Viking vibe in general :D

*Despite the lore suggesting this, it's clear that some of the races are intended to be more so, e.g. Eldar, Marines, Imperial Guard etc.

Last edited:
  • Dawn of War was Blood Ravens as their chapter.
  • Eternal Crusade had multiple chapters in it. Imperial Fists, Space Wolves, Blood Angeks, Ultramarines & Dark Angels I think were main ones it came with.
  • Regicide was Blood Angels.
  • legacy of dorn: herald of oblivion you was an Imperial Fist
  • 40k Deathwatch was Deathwatch, Dark Angels, Imperial Fists & Black Templars
  • There was a 40k Space Wolf game
  • Gladius are Ultramarine
  • Battlesector was Blood Angels
  • Chaos Gate was Ultramarine
  • Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters which was GreyKnights

So I don't think Ultramarines are represented any more than other chapters really. Or at least there are plenty of games that have used other chapters.

Redemption.

Blood Angels were poster boys for a while as i remember and very popular for a time the red thirst :D.
one other thing to consider is were each chapter is based and were the worlds the story takes place are in relation to the galaxy. they tend to be area spesific as i remember.
also consider at what time the games are taking place in the time line, 1st founding of 2nd founding.

Space Wolfs are always were been at!
13th *salute*
there is a lot to cover in the 40k history soo so much..
i kinda mis the Soul Drinkers that was a good story arc and had good prospects. Loyal Brothers.

i guess Space Marine 3 will be the Primaris Marines depending how this ends or a combination of 2nd founding and Primaris unites in a co-op setting.
this will be a fun slash and gun though if its anything liek the 1st one. already on the add list.

Would love to see some Salamanders or Lamentors, some of the "friendlier" space marine chapters.
You've then got a choice of heavy flamers for purging, or red thrist for ripping and tearing!

But I can see why GW sticks with Smurfs for their big games, you don't really need to explain their lore, big guys with big guns is all you need.

consider the Doctrines each machine chapter has.
Ultramarines are considered a balanced chapter instead of being geared one way.
i would imagine thats another reason for big blue.

I always liked White Scars, purely because of the colour scheme. I think they were part of the original legions, I note there are loads now.
Ooh dark angels too, edgy.

Always been fond of the Dark Angels, used to have a small Ravenwing force.

That said, I got into the universe getting towards 30 years ago and its changed a lot since, I was a primary 'nid player so really happy to see them and Dark Angels getting some love all of a sudden in recent months and the new edition.

Not to sure if the main voice acting hits the spot for me, it's not deep enough if you get my drift, just feels a little off.

The original Titus was voiced by Mark Strong, who did a good job for sure - and I quite enjoy Mark in films too.

The new voice actor is Clive Standen - who most notably played Rollo in Vikings. To be fair, another strong casting and he did a brilliant job as Rollo. It’s always difficult filling somebody else’s shoes - I imagine after half hour of playing, you’ll be as happy with Clive as you were with Mark.

Back
Top Bottom