Warhammer 40k book recommendations

Just hit the order button on Horus Hersey: Horus Rising, i hope i picked the right book.

The first one yes, just be prepared to order False Gods as soon as you're finished, it leads right on from the first and you'll want to know what happens next! (In fact the first 3 in particular are pretty much one continuous story)

As a beginner to the books, but for someone with general subject knowledge, (dawn of war games, etc) where would you say is best to start? Horus heresy, eisenhorn, gaunts ghosts, or elsewhere? Does it matter what sequence different series are read in, ie do some refer to events from others. Or can they all be considered separate?

Cheers.

[YG]Bug-Eyed;17699245 said:
As a beginner to the books, but for someone with general subject knowledge, (dawn of war games, etc) where would you say is best to start? Horus heresy, eisenhorn, gaunts ghosts, or elsewhere? Does it matter what sequence different series are read in, ie do some refer to events from others. Or can they all be considered separate?

Cheers.

+1

I'd like to know as well. Where does one start who has never read W40K books before?

[YG]Bug-Eyed;17699245 said:

Cheers.

+1

I'd like to know as well. Where does one start who has never read W40K books before?

Honestly it doesn't matter. Other than the occasional series that follows on from another (Ravenor follows on from Eisenhorn for example) they are all pretty much contained stories.

There is no better place to start than the Horus Heresy really:

1. It explains why the universe is the way it is (as it is set millennia before the majority of books)

2. It's ******* brilliant :D

Honestly it doesn't matter. Other than the occasional series that follows on from another (Ravenor follows on from Eisenhorn for example) they are all pretty much contained stories.

There is no better place to start than the Horus Heresy really:

1. It explains why the universe is the way it is (as it is set millennia before the majority of books)

2. It's ******* brilliant :D

Totally agree.

I'm 323 pages into The First Heretic, slow starter, but jesus, it hots up fast!

A very pivotal part of the history is revealed too!

Totally agree.

Having finished it I think it's one of the best so far.

The author did a fine job with Lorgar and made him the most 'fleshed out' Primarch so far. I actually got to like him, well for a while anyway. :D

Totally agree.

Same here. More revelations!!!!

To anyone new to the "Astartes" side of things, you might find the Wh40K Lexicanum as a good place to get background info on the Heresy, the legions, the Primarchs ..etc.

My copy of Horus Rising came today, only managed to finish reading chapter 2. So far this book is brilliant, i know ive hardly read anything but this is something special:)

Crunched through 7 of the Horus Heresy books in the last week, they're kinda addictive although the WH40K style of writing does get a bit tiresome at times :p

:eek: thats some hardcore reading!

I've finished The First Heretic, and im glad to say i thought it was a great read. Bring on Prospero Burns!!

My favourites out of the series so far are Mechanicum, Fulgrim, and A Thousand Suns. On looking at the autors, there seems to be a pattern here :D

:eek: thats some hardcore reading!

I've finished The First Heretic, and im glad to say i thought it was a great read. Bring on Prospero Burns!!

My favourites out of the series so far are Mechanicum, Fulgrim, and A Thousand Suns. On looking at the autors, there seems to be a pattern here :D

Same here.

The disappointments for me being The Dark Angel HH books, and the Battle for the Abyss - which is a shame because I love the Soul Drinkers novels.

Almost finished Horus Rising, only about 90 pages to go. This is a seriously awesome book, even if you dont like WH40K this book will have you wanting more.

The Abnett books, The horus stuff except The dark angels one. I'd avoid the Blood Angels stuff and Caine the writing doesn't work for me. Caine's too mary sue for me.

Back
Top Bottom