Warhammer Total War Confirmed

The Pre-order DLC bonus will cost £5 (full price) if bought after release, so just see if its better to buy with bonus, or get it without and buy after.

I think I read somewhere that they are extending access to the pre-order bonus with all purchases activated on steam till a week AFTER release.

Sounds like confidence in their product! So effectively we can wait for a review and see and still trigger the bonus.

I think I read somewhere that they are extending access to the pre-order bonus with all purchases activated on steam till a week AFTER release.

Sounds like confidence in their product! So effectively we can wait for a review and see and still trigger the bonus.

Yep, this is correct, and a nice compromise by CA/SEGA for the fanbase.

I own all the Total War games but Rome 2 and Attila really didn't do anything for me. I'm tempted to pre-order this but I'm worried it'll be more like the more modern Total War games rather than being more like their older games which I thought were much more interesting to play. The first Rome Total War and Medieval 2 Total War were pretty epic and still have a following to this day.

I'm still concerned that some of the community commentators might be right when they say siege battles will get very repetitive, very quickly. Definitely a case of waiting for fan feedback before I buy it myself.

I personally found later incarnations of the series much better.

The earlier games had too many cheese mechanics which could not be influenced regardless of what you did (Rome 1 was the worst for this) I find out the later games had much better battles, much better maps and much more sensible mechanics which actually made sense.

Don't get me wrong I like MTW2 and RTW but the later incarnations like Rome & Shogun 2 are much better games.

Don't get me wrong I like MTW2 and RTW but the later incarnations like Rome & Shogun 2 are much better games.

Disagree. I played the first Rome for hundreds of hours. I spent 2 hours in Rome 2 and quit in disgust. I really should have got a refund for it to be honest but didn't think about it.

Shogun 2 was the last good game in the series if you ask me. Even Empire was better than Rome 2.

Just watched all of the trailers again... oh man this really is Warhammer atmosphere at its finest. Now that modding is enabled I'm off to pre-order...

For some reason I spent a rather unhealthy portion of my day off watching various Warhammer related guff on Youtube.

I had no idea Games Workshop has binned the whole Fantasy Battle series. :eek: Seems wildly wasteful given the amount of fluff that IP had generated over the years. I suppose it gives this game added pressure to do memory of it justice.

I have renewed interest now. Still won't pre-order of course.

I like the total war games, but you do end up just using a formation similar to the Zulu bull formation as it beats the AI out ever single time, even when you are defending.

The only difference being when defending the units you have making up the "body and loins" don't just reinforce the centre they reinforce the flanks as well, and your Calvary is kept back rather than making up the horns and you us it to circle round and attack the AI from the rear.

For some reason I spent a rather unhealthy portion of my day off watching various Warhammer related guff on Youtube.

I had no idea Games Workshop has binned the whole Fantasy Battle series. :eek: Seems wildly wasteful given the amount of fluff that IP had generated over the years. I suppose it gives this game added pressure to do memory of it justice.

I have renewed interest now. Still won't pre-order of course.

Unfortunately Games Workshop was once a corporation with gamers at its heart that now has soulless pen pushers at its heart. They are so blinded by greed that they have worked to destroy much of what they have built, including reputation, to the point where I would say they have one them selves real long-term harm. Age of Sigmar is an abortion that should never have happened, and if they bring back Warhammer fantasy battles at some point I wouldn't be surprised.

Unfortunately Games Workshop was once a corporation with gamers at its heart that now has soulless pen pushers at its heart. They are so blinded by greed that they have worked to destroy much of what they have built, including reputation, to the point where I would say they have one them selves real long-term harm. Age of Sigmar is an abortion that should never have happened, and if they bring back Warhammer fantasy battles at some point I wouldn't be surprised.

I agree with most of this except I think they have done a cold calculated thing with an extra level of brinkmanship over the Heinz "Salad Cream Effect", fleece the idiots with the launch of Age of Sigmar for a year or two then relaunch Fantasy Battle to much fanfare and make quadruple what they would have made with a standard rules rehash.

As to TW:W, I think this one I will definitely wait and see what happens in a year with seasonal sales because the whole DLC thing is becoming a farce with this franchise. I wouldn't be surprised if I don't give this one a miss completely as the lack of Historical element, for me, robs it of something.

I agree with most of this except I think they have done a cold calculated thing with an extra level of brinkmanship over the Heinz "Salad Cream Effect", fleece the idiots with the launch of Age of Sigmar for a year or two then relaunch Fantasy Battle to much fanfare and make quadruple what they would have made with a standard rules rehash.

I think you are giving them a bit too much credit there with forseeing how much a flop AoF would be, I think they thought it would make people go nuts and were delusional as to the reaction they would get. However, lets see.

As to TW:W, I think this one I will definitely wait and see what happens in a year with seasonal sales because the whole DLC thing is becoming a farce with this franchise. I wouldn't be surprised if I don't give this one a miss completely as the lack of Historical element, for me, robs it of something.

Well I think to get the most out of this you have to love the Warhammer lore, which I really do. I can actually see from an objective perspective why they are splitting it into three games as the development time for each race, vs a traditional historical game where units are very similar, must be nuts. By the time this game is finished it is going to be absolutely mammoth, and I think it's just a shame they didn't develop a next-gen engine for the next breed of games. However, this would possibly have created further difficulties.

I'm cautiously optimistic, and using CD keys you will get the games for a decent price. And the mods will add a lot of longevity.

Back
Top Bottom