Warhammer Total War Confirmed

Caporegime
As usual, I still get massive slow downs when zoomed in on massive battles with lots of units. Same old, same old. Happens in every Total War game.

Soldato
Getting 35 - 60 FPS on Ultra at 1080p with an i5 6600k/980 Ti. Really depends what I'm looking at, although only done some small to medium scale battles so far. I'd imagine all of these technical issues will get ironed out soon, I'm more concerned with how fun the game is (and it is fun).

Okay, turned off Vsync, major improvement. Ultra settings now at 90 - 110 FPS.

Caporegime

Having just checked out my cpu usage this is unfortunately still true. Whilst the game does use all the cores somewhat, when there are hundreds of units all fighting in a concentrated space, one of the threads gets stuck maxed out and fps tanks into the high teens/low twenties.

Same ****, different game.

CA always lie about these things.

Still enjoying the game though. I just find it such a shame that you cant enjoy the spectacle of the big battles more as you can't zoom in on massive clashes. Makes improving the graphics in these games somewhat pointless. The engine simply can't cope with thousands of men fighting on screen zoomed in

Last edited:
Soldato
Total War threads on release day. Always good value. :D

I'll give it a few days before I consider buying it cheap somewhere.

Makes sense. remember the chaos dlc is free within the first week of release tho :)

Excellent, I'm about to have my first game :).

Enjoy! Reddits reporting a pretty good experience. From what flibby has posted seems like vsync should be turned off for a smoother experience.

Soldato
1440p, all Ultra, with Ultra size units and MLAA the game hovers between 55-60 both on campaign and battles. Nano holds well as is the 4820K.

Also Freesync working perfectly :)

As for the game, absolutely SUPERB.

Caporegime
Total War threads on release day. Always good value. :D

I'll give it a few days before I consider buying it cheap somewhere.

It is good, much better than Rome 2's release.

Just still has the age old engine problem of not being able to cope with large battles when zoomed in on all the action regardless of how powerful your PC is. I was half expecting it anyway but CA did put a lot out to say how they had solved it this time. Nevermind. Fingers crossed the DX12 might address the issue finally.

Still enjoying the game a lot. Love all the lore etc and it works well in a fantasy setting.

Soldato
Really wanting to play this game but putting £30 down and not liking it would sting.

How easy is it for someone that has never played a TW game before?

I've played Civ 5 (badly) and a lot of other RTS games but nothing with an overworld map type thing.

Soldato
Incredibly irritating when a hero runs around your towns ransacking them and you have an army chasing after him but he can get to your town, ransack it, then run off and you can never catch him. So he just ends up pillaging about 10 in a row. Being able to run to a town, pillage it, then still have time to run off is a bit "wtf" :p

Soldato
Incredibly irritating when a hero runs around your towns ransacking them and you have an army chasing after him but he can get to your town, ransack it, then run off and you can never catch him. So he just ends up pillaging about 10 in a row. Being able to run to a town, pillage it, then still have time to run off is a bit "wtf" :p

The Orc warlord beat the whole Dwarven army, was fun to watch the AI special moves though.

(yes battle was lost even if I have all these plus the general unit to the warboss)
20160524222526_1_zpspbxtdqna.jpg

And I do like the graphics....

20160524192441_1_zpsr2nqisw4.jpg

Performance wise, very rarely will drop to bellow 50fps even that close. Ofc I have turned off MLAA (I hate the blur) everything else is kept at ultra. But again, Freesync is working, and screen is smooth.

FYI The R9 Nano shows VRAM usage at 3.92GB. So anyone who has a GTX970 tune it down, not to get to above 3.5GB.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Performance wise, very rarely will drop to bellow 50fps even that close.

I don't believe you :p. 1000's units crushed together zoomed in = slideshow.

I have experienced the same thing in every Total War title to date on numerous different configurations. Warhammer is no different unfortunately.

Soldato
I don't believe you :p. 1000's units crushed together zoomed in = slideshow.

I have experienced the same thing in every Total War title to date on numerous different configurations. Warhammer is no different unfortunately.

I have tried it. You see the screenshot above is zoomed in with all those units on Ultra size setting. The game was smooth hovering just above 50fps at 2560x1440 with everything ultra, AF 16, AA OFF (I hate MLAA blurring and 2x MSAA eats all the VRAM putting it's hands on the shared DDR3).

What are your settings?

Caporegime
I have tried it. You see the screenshot above is zoomed in with all those units on Ultra size setting. The game was smooth hovering just above 50fps at 2560x1440 with everything ultra, AF 16, AA OFF (I hate MLAA blurring and 2x MSAA eats all the VRAM putting it's hands on the shared DDR3).

What are your settings?

That isn't many units :p

I am talking 1000+

Settings don't matter. The game engine is bobbins (CPU wise) and always has been when it comes to 1000's units fighting up close.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom