Warner R4 - Creative Design input required!

Associate
72.jpg

So i'm midway through my custom car, i've designed it from the ground up - and i'm getting pretty close, the trouble i'm having is making the thing look sleek even though its got to be a certain height to fit my head + helmet in,

I've managed this design: but it required lowering the roof another 5cm which is going to be a pain

68.jpg

So i'm asking for people to draw on the one below with a few ideas for back end + bonnet shape to give it the low look without reducing the height. If nobody can think of anything i'll go with the first design - but it involves the passenger being VERY laid back! :D

65.jpg

Firestar_3x said:
Just a quick question, you have gone to all that trouble to keep weight down yet fitted what looks like the biggest and heaviest wheels you could find?

It also doesn't look that strong?

gotta have a bit of bling :) I'll eventually be getting a set of ultra lightweight magnesium wheels, but for now those will do

as regards strength you are only seeing the outline, there's at least double that amount of tubing to be added for strength....

J

eeek! That looks very unsafe, just some thin steel poles tacked together. Not sure what the point of that is. You not better designing it around an existing racing chassis that has had some crash testing?

Please keep this on topic, the design is NOT finished, so please don't comment on strength - i *just* want a photoshop for the bonnet and rear :rolleyes:

cloudy said:
Please keep this on topic, the design is NOT finished, so please don't comment on strength - i *just* want a photoshop for the bonnet and rear :rolleyes:

You need to note most ppl are at work so things won't happen to the evening, personally if i had built that myself i would welcome questions regardless of the nature.....

As for all the comments regarding strenth, weight, engine, and everything else - I have been following cloudy's progress through this project and have spoken to him for many, many hours discussing things like chassis strengthening, weight reduction, engine placement, drivetrain, brakes, safety and what-nots, and he's got a very good idea of everything that's required. He agonised over things for many months before even picking up a single tool for the project.

The only thing I haven't been able to help him with is the design to make the exterior look good - and so I suggested he opens it out to the bods of OcUK.

However with 6 replies, none of which actually touch on the original topic in hand - I'm starting to wonder why I bothered suggesting it.

Last edited:
warnerr4aq6.jpg

Righto, this is the side profile i have come up with after a few goes. Inspired from a gallardo/ferrari 360 point of view. I think if you want to eliminate the height issue you mentioned then you have to have flowing lines across the car. Added to that the windshield etc should have as few vertical lines in order to maintain the flow across the car instead of down, which splits it into sections and makes the eye think its taller. Naturally this image has its limitations in that i dont know how inner parts of the car will fit but ive tried to be realistic.

edit: then again ive just looked where your seats are, and thats totally out.. my windshield is too high

edit: im playing in photoshop now with it

Last edited:
sorry gord, what i've completely failed to mention is there is no body on this - it will remain open chassis in a buggy sort of style. I would LOVE to be able to get a body made up - but it's just beyond my capabilites at present - so just stick to tubing...

James

have you looked into what a carbon fibre body / shell would cost?

maybe design it in 3 parts so you can get 1 done at a time to keep the costs down

will look awsome when its finished and the above sketch does look like a Audi TT (a bit at least)

gord said:
Arhar.. righto.. hmm, will have a rethink then. So its sort of Atom style or is it Radical style?

Best think along atom style, it will have very thin aluminium flat body panels between the tubing

James

Well, even with the tubing, if you want to flatten out the car the only way is to draw it out horizontally, but i assume you dont want a long car. Anyway, i also dont know how you want the aero dynamics of your motor, and infact, its probably going to be better dynamically if you have the air coming over the car only rather than splitting it at the front as i have. Still. You'll have to excuse the poor spoiler, done pretty quickly because without it the car looked a bit imbalanced..

warnerr4tubezt7.jpg

Last edited:
nothing that is spot on, I'll get some piccies for you tonight if it helps

PS. I also have my design of it in 3dsmax format

James

Back
Top Bottom