Warning for all motherboard owners

Associate
OP
Hi @andy_mk3 , unfortunately, I do not look after the motherboard side of things, Laptops is my bag. That said I can certainly escalate this specific issue internally.

@PhoenixSP Do you still have the mobo ?

I had it sent back to me after they noticed the copper showing on the motherboard holes its happened on 3 of the 4 but this is the worst hence why its pictured. Ive only owned the mobo since April so just over 8 months and it died whilst in the case after working fine.
Other images for transparency:

https://imgur.com/a/6rDdp6i

https://imgur.com/a/mE3QjVl

Soldato
There should be solder pads all the way round the holes, I've noticed a few boards are only doing half way round the hole. So in my book that is a defect anyway.

I've seen cost cutting before but MB manufactures are really scraping the barrel doing that trick

Soldato
honestly ASUS and in somw part GIGABYTE just dont have the quality they had years ago. Motherboards used to be built like tanks.

I hate when there are components on the underside, but components on the underside near the screw holes and motherboard mounts.

Even worse is ASUS motherboard software, its shockingly bad.

Soldato
Did you use `their` mobo screws?Most mobo screws that i have used have a serrated grip on the bottom which may cause the solder to `rub` off
never had a problem in the past though
And just checked my gigabyte x470 gaming 7 wifi and there is only `solder pads` around 50% of the hole

Soldato
Did you use `their` mobo screws?Most mobo screws that i have used have a serrated grip on the bottom which may cause the solder to `rub` off
And just checked my gigabyte x470 gaming 7 wifi and there is only `solder pads` around 50% of the hole

I don't see how it would make any difference. I might be wrong but the small area underneath the screw head shouldn't affect anything if it gets worn other than the board might not be as secure, but then that shouldn't make any difference as there's 6 or 8 other screws (or more) holding the board in place.

Even if the screws are grounds, there's plenty of other grounding points.. The other screws and the several psu cables plugged into the board.

Apart from looking a bit unsightly, I can't see how the board would fail on this basis.

Soldato
I don't see how it would make any difference. I might be wrong but the small area underneath the screw head shouldn't affect anything if it gets worn other than the board might not be as secure, but then that shouldn't make any difference as there's 6 or 8 other screws (or more) holding the board in place.

Even if the screws are grounds, there's plenty of other grounding points.. The other screws and the several psu cables plugged into the board.

Apart from looking a bit unsightly, I can't see how the board would fail on this basis.
Me neither
They are just trying to wriggle out of replacing a faulty board

Soldato
TBH Asus do suck with warranty which is why I'd never buy them, EVGA, Asrock or Gigabyte motherboards would be my go to boards, if you look at Asus with the V-Droop issues makes me want to stay away from them.

Soldato
Well that's bad on OCUKs part for assuming and not even bothering as they don't "think" Asus would even acknowledge it as an RMA. Motherboards should not be defective on purchase as they go through a QA process on production line. However there is of course cases where things are missed.

OCUK should be acting on behalf of you the customer. No other way to say it.

I agree. It’s poor customer service like this that push people to use Amazon.

Soldato
Unfortunately it was ocuk on behalf of asus who sent it back to me as they dont believe asus will take it , shows how bad asus rma process is :/. Board doesnt post , rgb and mobo power light turn on but nothing else tested different switches / ram / psu . Bought a new mobo and working fine so i know its not the cpu either only benefit is at least i got Haribo for it XD though £8 for haribo is expensive.

Why should asus RMA policy affect if OCUK accept it, thats bad from OCUK in my view, if you a retailer you take the return, and if the vendor doesnt play ball you take the financial hit, its what goes with selling stuff to consumers, gibbo do the right thing here, accept the return and retrain your staff.

OCUK could lean on asus and say we delist your products if you pull this stunt again as well.

Depending how ocuk react to this may affect where I buy my upcoming ryzen 2 parts from. I need to trust the retailer I buy from will accept faulty returns within UK standard warranty periods..

Soldato
I had it sent back to me after they noticed the copper showing on the motherboard holes its happened on 3 of the 4 but this is the worst hence why its pictured. Ive only owned the mobo since April so just over 8 months and it died whilst in the case after working fine.
Other images for transparency:

https://imgur.com/a/6rDdp6i

https://imgur.com/a/mE3QjVl

To be honest I have even seen new boards come to me with some of these outer rims missing. I think they just made really cheaply now.

Soldato
It would be pretty much impossible to tighten those screws without some scraping of that paint if there aren't solder pads on every side of hole.
Because proper tightnesss certainly isn't "screw turning around loosely".
And over tightening would leave more signs that just scratched paint.

Soldato

Motherboards dont come with mounting screws, they come with the case along with the stand-off's etc.

Associate
that surely can't be the reason to refuse a RMA. If Asus believe these screws should be tightened to secure the motherboard, but not overtightened to prevent damage, then where's the torque settings, if it's that vital?!? The x470 strix manual (one at hand) only says "place nine (9) screws into the holes indicated by circles to secure the motherboard to the chassis" and "Do not over tighten the screws! doing so can damage the motherboard". Other instructions for different items have torque settings to prevent overtightening, so it's a little off for Asus to claim it's critical to tighten the screws securely, but not too much, without any indication what too much is. My road and mountain bikes have torque values for all their screws listed in the manuals, so does my car for everything from wheel nuts to most of the service manual.

Yes, I know ppl will laugh at this comment, as why would anyone have a torque-driver for building a pc, and I agree. But, if a company want to fall back on a statement in their manual that it should be secure, but not over tight, then they need to back up their statement with values/metric.

Man of Honour
Never had a good experience with Asus RMA anyhow - one of the more expensive boards I RMA'd (not that long after getting it) I was 3 times in a row sent what was obviously another customers return that in no way had even been tested let alone refurbished so in the end I took a hammer to it to cut my losses and moved on.

Unfortunately similar experience when I went against my own decision and bought the Asus ROG Swift (at the time there was no other option for a 144Hz G-Sync monitor though).

Soldato
If Asus believe these screws should be tightened to secure the motherboard, but not overtightened to prevent damage, then where's the torque settings, if it's that vital?!?

Makes you think

Associate
Many years ago (10) I used to work as RMA tech for a now defunct motherboard manufacturer and this "damage" is no reason to refuse RMA.

If it does cause a problem you could easily sort that out by re-flowing a bit more solder over the pads.

It looks like you spun the standoff around wearing away the board a little.
Do you have a case with clip in standoffs?

Soldato
Again theresa white circle around the screw hole.. What on earth (pun intended) is the reason for this if not to clearly show the safe limit of any fixings?

Back
Top Bottom