WD TV Live kaput

Soldato
I would go for the second one if I were looking.

"it cannot play video files exceeding 4gb - this is extremely annoying since a lot of my HD videos are over 4gb(in WMV about 90 mins long!) It is not an unreasonable request for this device to play a "long" file and a 4GB limit is ridiculous."

Don't think I'd be looking at this player.

Soldato
ELEGIANT S905 Quad-Core T95M TV BOX gives the same USB functionality too yes?

It does but the Android TV box market is flooded with problems. Little to no support, zero updates or bug fixes and numerous performance issues are common place as companies simply buy in hardware, slap a skinned version of Android on it and sell it on.

The Android TV box market pretty much only exists because of Kodi and it's dodgy and illegal add-ons but thats a discussion we can't have!

Personally I would go the Roku route for what you need, I've got one and its never once crashed and is still receiving updates every few months even after 2 years. They are about as plug an play as you can get and truly just work.

Soldato
ELEGIANT S905 Quad-Core T95M TV BOX gives the same USB functionality too yes?

Yeah but you want plug and play capabilities, my experience of using an Android box like that is it is anything but actual plug and play.

I have the Roku and whilst I do not use it for USB playback as I have Plex setup it really is a great device to use.

Soldato
"it cannot play video files exceeding 4gb - this is extremely annoying since a lot of my HD videos are over 4gb(in WMV about 90 mins long!) It is not an unreasonable request for this device to play a "long" file and a 4GB limit is ridiculous."

Don't think I'd be looking at this player.

Hadn't read that, very poor IMO.

Associate
How about essentially a free solution to the issue :)

buy

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NOW-TV-Mon...ie=UTF8&qid=1483545724&sr=1-1&keywords=now+tv

for £14.24 the included free pass is worth 18 quid

follow these instructions to the letter

http://www.waxedperfection.co.uk/now-tv-usb-working-hd-box

currently watching a 10gb mkv video file off a usb pen. picture looks good to me good as my wd live tv box.

the now tv is a roku 3 according to the on screen specs.

tried putting plex classic on it but could not see the pen but i could see my home server though.

Soldato
First time I've seen the USB port enabled on the NOW TV box, shame you can't sideload more than one app at a time though as I use Plex but would occasionally like to play things from USB

Associate
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Very slow and has not been great at all.

Great little boxes to be fair. Mine's still going strong after years of use and my son currently uses it to store and play all his cartoons and movies in his room since I've gone down the server / openELEC route for playback.

Ok, it's showing signs of age in regards to interface etc but still great for plug and play.

Back
Top Bottom