Website features that appeal to female visitors?

Man of Honour
I reckon a male dominated forum is not a great place to ask. Why not start a thread on mums net and ask them what they like, what things bug them about a site. [..]

That would be just as useless and probably less silly and amusing. They would get a self-selected unrepresentative sample of women who, unsurprisingly, will tend to conform in public because that's what groups of people do, especially when they're all on the same overall forum.

As some other people have said, a better approach would be to design the website for the product being sold on it rather than for a stereotype of billions of people which would probably be nonsense and would at best be only be a bit of a trend. The product has more of an effect on who potential customers are and the most effective way to sell the product at them. For some products potential customers will have a clear idea of what they want before they start shopping. For some other products, they probably won't and are more likely to be interested in browsing and comparing. If the OP is selling a variety of products, that would also have an effect on the most effective website design (and Amazon would be a good place to start looking).

I read somewhere that the OP is selling clothes. If that's the case, then the most specific advice I could give is to show actual sizes as much as possible, i.e. in inches and centimetres. There isn't enough standardisation in the generalised sizes that women's clothing is usually sold in. You can easily buy clothes with the same "size" from different shops/brands that are actually different sizes, which is not ideal if you're buying from a website and can't try it on.

Why would she need two?

:confused: :eek: :) :D

Different vibrators can have different features, shape, size and feel, so if she has two different ones she might fancy using one more than the other at any given time.

Also, if the batteries have run out in one she can take the batteries out of the other one :)

Soldato
Different vibrators can have different features, shape, size and feel, so if she has two different ones she might fancy using one more than the other at any given time.

Also, if the batteries have run out in one she can take the batteries out of the other one :)

You've really given this some thought. Ever considered a career as an Agony Aunt?

Soldato
They want what any visitor would want, solid HCI.. fundamental heuristics adhered to and a non complex easy no navigate structure..

Apart from that you wont be able to pick a "style" that appeals to women as all women prefer different styles. Just have it relevant to the content of the page and branding.

Man of Honour
You've really given this some thought. Ever considered a career as an Agony Aunt?

I'm fairly old, I've known quite a few women and I'm generally seen as being some sort of neuter. Not literally, but as a matter of perception. A number of women have said that they don't think of me as a man and I'm sure that many more have thought that but didn't say it because they thought it was rude. The ones who did say it thought it was rude and had said it before thinking, as people often do. I'm just generally very bland.

Anyway, this particular example is pretty obvious with not much thought to anyone who's seen a few vibrators or even just pictures of them because they vary a lot. Add in a bit of knowledge of human anatomy and the answer is pretty clear. The part about feel should also be obvious, since feel is the whole point of a vibrator. Different materials, surfacing, stiffness, whatever.

As for the battery thing, that's common with all devices powered by removable batteries. Also, I once read an article interviewing several women and one of the women answered an "embarrassing things" question by talking about a time when she was late for work because she'd taken the batteries out of her alarm clock to power her vibrator, fell asleep afterwards and obviously didn't have a working alarm clock to wake her up on time. I think she won that question hands down.

Last edited:

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom