Wedding rings

Soldato
About to enter the potential minefield of buying a wedding ring and wondered if anyone knows of good highstreet stores or online places to buy from? I've done some research on diamonds so think I pretty much know the quality I want etc but is there anything else to consider? If how much I'm looking to spend plays any factor, I'm thinking around 2k as it looks like that's about average.

Last edited:
Soldato
I was really lucky, was out shopping and she saw a ring in a Jewellery store and said she really liked it.

So a bit later on we had bought some other stuff, and I said I was fed up of carrying the bags so was going to go back to the car to put the stuff in the boot so didnt have to carry it around.

Went back past that jewellery shop and bought the ring.

That being said I didnt ask her to marry me for about another 6 months after that.

Soldato
If you have any local reputable auction houses then you may find something that you are after at a fraction of the cost of a high street jeweller.
My wifes ring (0.7ct diamond, 18ct white gold) was around £600 plus resizing.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
haha, we've been married around 25 years but when we got married neither of us was ever fussed about rings and things like that so we just got a 20 quid one from Argos. She lost it a while ago and was really sad about it and I thought I'd surprise her out the blue with something a little more fancy this time around. :D

So, lucky for me I don't have to worry about anything other than just not getting ripped off too much.

If I walked in to a highstreet store and bought a ring, is the markup insane or will I get something reasonably priced and it's not all that bad?

Last edited:
Soldato
The only one that is important is the engagement ring. The wedding ring value is here nor there as they are every day wear items basically.

I think my bands were something like 50 dollars each whilst the engagement ring was more expensive.

Just my thoughts, i don't have to be right.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
ah fair enough, I bought her an engagement ring that was a couple of hundred - she usually wears that. I guess I'm just looking to buy her a nice ring really, to make up for her lost wedding ring but also be a nice daily driver for her.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I think I should change this thread to 'where to buy a nice diamond ring' since I'm pretty clueless on engagement/wedding rings etc and ultimately it's just to get her a nice ring and surprise her but say it's to replace her lost wedding ring. :D

Soldato
We're off on holiday soon-ish so I was hoping to give it to her at some point when we're there.
i think it's way more important she gets the ring she likes than you doing the surprise you got in your head.

I guess that's how it works for us as a couple you could be totally different.

Last edited:
Caporegime
R5mrxRt.gif

Soldato
Wedding ring is 'usually' a plain gold band. Jewels are usually in engagement and eternity rings.

That said, you should get whatever you want!

If you can spare the time, and do a bit of research to find the right places, I think it's still possible to get a much better deal on jewellery of this type by visiting the handful of places in the Birmingham jewellery quarter which sell rings they have designed and made themselves. You'll likely get a better cut and quality of gem than you would from most high street stores too.

Last edited:
Soldato
Got the Wife'a engagement ring from a small antique ring place, perfect fit, and a couple of hundred quid - she loved it! If you've got the money to spend 1000s then go for it - but don't follow the nonsense everyone seems to push out there, saying it must be X times your monthly salary or whatever. It should be a purchase of love, not business

Back
Top Bottom